Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am contemplating putting the front crash bar on my 2002 VRSCA. After having this, front & rear on my 1939 knucklehead, they have proven their worth to me for additional protection as well as foot location.

Can those who have them advise the brand, OEM or after market and likes & dislikes of the particular brand you ride with?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Shiney side up!! :biker:

·
Premium Member
11,259 Posts
What's this "Crash" you speak of? I can't find it in my dictionary.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
It is called engine guard and please speak the part in the right way.

It is no-where close to crash bar and it won't protect you from a crash. It just protect the engine from being damaged, that's all. Therefore, it is called engine guard for the very reason. If you keep saying crash bar and you are sending a wrong message to motorcyclists thinking that it will protect them from a crash. Engine guard, so people will understand it as it is designed to protect engine and not a rider.

·
Registered
836 Posts
touchy,touchy we know what he meant,I have the oem engine guard and while the bike would look better without it my bike went over once or twice and not a mark on it..worth it.

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
I touched the front brake while riding in the rain, in Tulsa, on the way to the Kansas City V-Rod gathering in 2008. The front wheel was apparently on the white line. When I came to, still on the bike on its side, I realized I had wiped out.

The bags and "engine guards" (and an armoured jacket) saved me from any road rash.

The helmet was sacrificed.

I did manage to break my collarbone. Didn't know it until I got to Kansas City.

PS: It helps to have good friends.

Before someone else says so, The baby made it fine.

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
oem bars on mine,good for keeping damage away in oops situations(kick stand sinks,in hole,not down)
I touched the front brake in the rain when the front wheel was on the (slippery) white line, in Tulsa, heading to a VRod gathering in Kansas City.

When I came to, I was sitting on the bike which was on its side. I sanded the visor off my helmet, shredded my rain coat which I was wearing over armoured jacket. I had a scrape on my right knuckle. My engine guard was sanded about half way through, and my saddle bag was shredded. when I got off I discovered there was a small fire around the top of the gas tank and seat. (I leave the cap loose so my aux tank can fill it. ) There was lots of rain water available to put it out. I got back on the bike and rode to Kansas City.

Oh yea, and when I got to Basswood, we discovered I had broken my collar bone. :banghead:

I was asked after I posted this picture "did the baby make it?"
:spank:

I

·
Registered
212 Posts
I think they look better without the engine guard, I call them crash bars too. When I went down earlier this week, with no crash bar, the engine did not have a scratch. Now I have the muscle and the handle bars are what saved most of the bike from damage.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I hope you`re feeling better! I can`t deside what I think of my `crash bar` I think I need your help to deside if it is worth it.
So, what do you think?

They make good foot rests too.. with the fog lights and road pegs installed... gives me about 6 positions for my feet / legs to stretch out along with giving some protection.

They can improve the comfort factor on long trips.. };-)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think they look good, and would provide adequate protection to the bike in case of a crash. Just put some HD brand ones on mine; really didn't want the hassle of buying cheaper bars and finding out they don't fit or need modifications to make fit. I've been there, and didn't like it.

Install was pretty easy as well, maybe about 2 hours w/ looking everything up as I went? Had to remove the radiator covers, figure out positioning... If I had to do it again, it would probably take less than an hour. They're already expensive enough as it is at $300, didn't want to pay extra to have the dealer install.

My only gripe, if any, is how wide they are but I guess that's a necessity. The width diminishes the ability to lane split somewhat. Basically increases the area of the bike you'd have to watch out for when maneuvering.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Fehling Engine Guards

Am contemplating putting the front crash bar on my 2002 VRSCA. After having this, front & rear on my 1939 knucklehead, they have proven their worth to me for additional protection as well as foot location.

Can those who have them advise the brand, OEM or after market and likes & dislikes of the particular brand you ride with?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Shiney side up!! :biker:
G'day...
Check out my posts. I got a set of Fehling (German) for my '12 Muscle to give me some protection for the Trask turbo system. I'm not sure if they make sets for a 2002 VRSCA but I don't think there's much difference in the frames between an '02 and a '12. The Fehling's are much better made and look like they'd be stronger than the H-D engine guards. IMO they look a lot better also.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Older thread, but I have some thoughts on this topic.

I just removed the engine guard bars from my F (came with the bike, never bothered to remove them). The only time they came in handy was when I was in the shop and while not paying attention (who me?) I dropped the bike in slow motion to the left. Saved that left grip at best (once again, this was very slow motion so not much impact).

At any rate, I am at best 5'9" 3/4" (yes, that was certified by the US Army when I was a young man). I had highway pegs on the guard but had to put some Kurykin/China's finest offset peg mounts on so that I could actually reach the pegs (and even then barely).

Fast forward to this winter...I removed them. Heavy....not much protection....can't get highway pegs mounted to be truly usable (once again I am not tall).

Bike looks a lot "cooler" this way if that matters to you (that and I converted the bike to mid controls and plan on putting a highway peg at the original peg mounting point possibly depending on how I get along with the new controls).

I will be listing the guard/bolts/etc shortly as it's taking floor space up.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It is called engine guard and please speak the part in the right way.

It is no-where close to crash bar and it won't protect you from a crash. It just protect the engine from being damaged, that's all. Therefore, it is called engine guard for the very reason. If you keep saying crash bar and you are sending a wrong message to motorcyclists thinking that it will protect them from a crash. Engine guard, so people will understand it as it is designed to protect engine and not a rider.
Hi
By chance know of anyone selling engine guard vrod, vrsca 2007? Thank you.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts