Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Glory to Hypnotoad!
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

Did a 30 Mile ride today and came back out this evening.... bike crankes, but wont start, (She ALWAYS fires right up!) tried it several times for 4-5 seconds of cranking but no soap.... Not firing! The starter began to sound like it was slowing down... so I stopped trying!

My V-Rod sat for a week or so..... so thinking bettery must be low.... I placed a charger on to see if this solves the problem.... Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Fred

P.S. Yes got Gas! 80 miles on a 5 gal tank! Bike is an 04 "B" purchased 8/05!

Battery needs replacement?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
1096369fred said:
Hey All,

Did a 30 Mile ride today and came back out this evening.... bike crankes, but wont start, (She ALWAYS fires right up!) tried it several times for 4-5 seconds of cranking but no soap.... Not firing! The starter began to sound like it was slowing down... so I stopped trying!

My V-Rod sat for a week or so..... so thinking bettery must be low.... I placed a charger on to see if this solves the problem.... Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Fred

P.S. Yes got Gas! 80 miles on a 5 gal tank! Bike is an 04 "B" purchased 8/05!

Battery needs replacement?

If the battery is low at all it might not start. Have you tried to pull codes? Sometimes a crank with no start will set a code to tell you what is going on.

·
Glory to Hypnotoad!
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Max,

Just tried the trouble codes P.S.& C all listed as "nonE".

Tried to crank her and she turned over once, and the starter solnoid buzzed,
I guess the battery is low..... I will try slow charging overnight and if still down, I guess it is new battery time!

Thanks!
Fred

·
Registered
964 Posts
I think its your battery as well but to add one posibility I have run into lately.

On my 07 every now and again I have to cut off the ignition and the run switch and prime the fuel system a second time to get it to start. otherwise it will just sit there are crank over and over again.

·
Glory to Hypnotoad!
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, Oh!

Battery seems charged but she won't start...... just cranks.... I Gave fuses a quick look.... fuel pump and ignition look O.K...... WTF! I guess I will pull a fuel sample and check the plugs next.....

Mongo Pawn in Game of Life.......?

Any thoughts?

Fred

·
Glory to Hypnotoad!
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
vesteroid said:
I think its your battery as well but to add one posibility I have run into lately.

On my 07 every now and again I have to cut off the ignition and the run switch and prime the fuel system a second time to get it to start. otherwise it will just sit there are crank over and over again.
Tried it but no go for me.... I wonder if I got some bad Gas? She was running fine after my ride today....

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
1096369fred said:
Tried it but no go for me.... I wonder if I got some bad Gas? She was running fine after my ride today....
You may have the bike flooded now. When an efi bike gets the plugs wet they will not start until you dry at least one of them most of the time.

Did you try to pull codes to see if you had any?

·
Glory to Hypnotoad!
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Max....

Codes P.S.&C listed as "nonE" (Thanks for teaching me "HOW TO", Max!)

Bike still cranks, but won't fire.... I checked all fuses, (Even moved them around... don't worry used same to same!). There is gas in the tank.. so not fireing or not pumping fuel, I am not sure which? I do not get a lot of fuel smell out of exaust.... so don't think it is flooded?

The battery did cause the solnoid to click after only a minute of cranking, (4 or 5 seconds at a time).

I am going to go get a new battery, and see if this makes a difference.

Do I understand correctly that a low battery may crank the engine... but may not allow a start?

After this I am afraid I will have to call H.D. to pick her up.... this would truely SUCK!!! Warranty just expired in August! (Great!)

Thanks!
Fred

·
The Hawk
3,803 Posts
Do you hear the fuel pump cycle on when you first turn the key and run switch to run? You sure it has gas?

Mike

·
Glory to Hypnotoad!
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Elgavilan said:
Do you hear the fuel pump cycle on when you first turn the key and run switch to run? You sure it has gas?

Mike

Well, I dropped in a brand new H.D. $82 Battery......... She cranks like a raped Ape..... But still won't fire! When I turn the ignition on, and hit the "Run" Button, I hear a click from the fuel pump.... but no pumpin' noises.... Just one short "Click" I am not sure but I think the fuel pump used to make a pretty pronounced wurrring noise! Not smelling much gas from the 'stacks and exaust.
If My fuel pump is bad How can I tell? I do have a fuel flange wrench.

Sorry for posting my troubles so much!

Fred

·
The Hawk
3,803 Posts
Check the wire plug on top the tank and make sure it is plugged all the way in and check the fuse for the fuel pump. If those are good, get a volt meter and make sure the power is reaching the plug and the ground is good, if that is OK then it is probably the pump.

Mike

·
Glory to Hypnotoad!
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BAD fuel Pump!

Hey All

Just to update this post in case anyone has the same problem in the future..... Yup... the fuel pump was bad on my bike (An '04 "B"), the Fuel pump sock seems like it may have caused the problem. As others have discussed the plastic device inside the "sock" seems to have let the fuel pump pull fuel from only one small Dime sized spot in the pad, (as evident by a thin film of sediment in the area directly below the fuel pump intake.) My bike was bogging down at 7000 RPM, (I thought I was just hitting the rev limiter early) and Now it pulls hard to 9000 RPM, and it's GIGGLE FAST !

I think I have seen that '05 and later fuel pumps use an new design pad, I think the '04 has a history of problems that other have fixed with a staple. I do know that an '03 pump is different then an '04... Anyone know if an '05 or newer pad will fit on an '04?

Thanks to ALL for ALL the help!

Fred

·
Glory to Hypnotoad!
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1096369fred said:
Hey All

Just to update this post in case anyone has the same problem in the future..... Yup... the fuel pump was bad on my bike (An '04 "B"), the Fuel pump sock seems like it may have caused the problem. As others have discussed the plastic device inside the "sock" seems to have let the fuel pump pull fuel from only one small Dime sized spot in the pad, (as evident by a thin film of sediment in the area directly below the fuel pump intake.) My bike was bogging down at 7000 RPM, (I thought I was just hitting the rev limiter early) and Now it pulls hard to 9000 RPM, and it's GIGGLE FAST !

I think I have seen that '05 and later fuel pumps use an new design pad, I think the '04 has a history of problems that other have fixed with a staple. I do know that an '03 pump is different then an '04... Anyone know if an '05 or newer pad will fit on an '04?

Thanks to ALL for ALL the help!

Fred

1 - 15 of 15 Posts