Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No, not that kind :D

The longer ride I go for the more my left hand cramps up when riding. And today my right hand a little bit. I was thinking it was my left hand again yesterday because of what seems like a very heavy clutch pull coupled with, I was working on that "friction zone" thing in the "Riding like a Pro" DVD I just got. Prior to seeing the DVD I guess I was using a feather the clutch technique, I never really paid attention, but "riding the friction zone" has you keeping the clutch partially engaged/slipping, which takes more effort and finesse (IMO). At any rate these hand cramps are getting to be a PITA.

Is there any way to lighten the clutch pull a little bit (I doubt it), or will it ease up with more miles? I am currently around 700.
Or, is this yet another reason to go with aftermarket grips?

I don't get it. I can hammer on crap and use my hands all day without problem, but riding again is puttin' a hurt on them :hmm:

And I did not do a search first. So feel free to yell at me and post the link to a previous discussion on this :chair:

·
Cruzin the Dark Side
320 Posts
The 08's have a new design "slipper" clutch which takes lightens the clutch pull somewhat. I know its a bolt on retrofit, but I expect it is not "inexpensive".

·
Registered
964 Posts
The AIM clutch represents a 40% reduction in pull and is more or less a bolt on product.

Max sells them in teh forum store and several users have them installed.

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
Get the AIM...it's amazing! When I first installed it, I thought I broke something due to the pull being so light. It is a wonderful thing! It's easy to install (about 1-1.5 hours tops) and it makes a world of difference! Yes, it's in the Forum store.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Everyone is a little different, this is what i found. Sometimes you lean on your hands hard, like on a sportbike, so i practice sitting up a little more when i am cruising, it takes the pressure off. Last year, before carpal tunnel surgery, i bought some large cushion grips, that seemed to help. If i am going out for the whole day i wear a pair of fingerless gloves with a gel palm pad, that also helps. I also know that for the first 2k miles i squeezed those grips into submission. In other words i don't think it is just the clutch. Good luck, but don't let it keep you from riding.

·
Safe and sound
4,589 Posts
I have the same problem. I've found that if I take 3 ibuprofren before long rides it gets rid of the cramps.

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Also look at the grips you are using.. Cramps often come with poor circulation. Make sure you're using padded grips or gel gloves. Larger diameter grips (i.e. Kuryakyn) tend to help relieve this too.

·
1130cc.com PITFA
2,883 Posts
Youngzee said:
I have the same problem. I've found that if I take 3 ibuprofren before long rides it gets rid of the cramps.
:them:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great suggestions :notworth:

I used to ride gloved, maybe investing in some cushy fingerless would help. I'll put that on my list of things to get in the immediate future. This is where I thought some new grips might help, too. Amazing the vibration we get. I was riding one handed yesterday (throttle hand), looked in my left mirror and remembered a post about mirror vibration. Hmmm, I didn't notice that when I started out. Grabbed hold of the grip again... no more mirror vibration. Maybe I am overgripping the handlebars to reduce this without realizing.

And no, I certainly won't let it cut into my riding time. Not with the recent rain we've been having here in PA.

Three ibuprofen... hmmmm, I would think the 5-6 beers I chug before riding would be about the same. Don't you? :ride:
Seriously, it amazes me the amount of drinking and riding we used to do on a good poker run. And then there was the party afterward and the ride home... Those are ceratinly days of the past. For good reason, too. What idiots we were (me and my riding buddies). I'll give the aspirin a try, too. Sure couldn't hurt these 47 year old hands any :D

And look into that Aim clutch right now!

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have the hand issues as well, but figured it was my hands since I am looking at hand surgery later in the year for trigger fingers in both hands. I find if I don't lean on my hands, over grip the grips, take a hand off the grips once in awhile, they don't hurt so much. I plan to get the gels from Kuryakin and have them powder coated.....my hands hare gettin' old before my time!!!!!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I picked up some gel palm fingerless gloves last night from the place I got my Raptor from. (Besides Yamaha bikes they sell Victory bikes too, FWIW.) Not even 15 bucks with my discount! Can't beat that. They make my hand feel much smaller on the grip, so it's like going to a larger grip. They take away a lot of the vibration, too. I had browsed through the gloves before at the Harley shop and besides none fitting this well.... the price.... well, after all I said I was looking at them at the Harley shop. It's nice to have another bike shop around that doesn't rake you over the coals. My recommendation if you don't need "H-D" stamped on all your stuff. They were made by River Road.
And the salesman that sold me my rappy was all over my DX. Really liked it. Didn't realize they were water cooled. If I had pulled in on any other Harley he could have found a semi-comparable Victory model, but of course nothing's like our DXs :) I could tell he wanted to take it for a spin.

Anyway, the gloves took some getting used to since my fingers weren't touching anymore, not with that padding on the palm. Hopefully that helps out on longer rides. The ride back home felt good and it was the cheapest thing to start with (other than the aspirin).

·
Jay Johnston
1,732 Posts
I had the same problem, I changed out the stock POS grips for a set of larger diameter leather ones from HD and the hand cramps went away and I improved the look of the bike as well,,,,,,,,,,,,,the proverbial win/win situation!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
heh, heh... I wondered when that would come up Jza

Shadow, which grips did you go with? I just got off Harley's site. I had no idea they offered so many grips. It would be nice if some of them had black end caps....

·
Safe and sound
4,589 Posts
pacanis said:
heh, heh... I wondered when that would come up Jza

Shadow, which grips did you go with? I just got off Harley's site. I had no idea they offered so many grips. It would be nice if some of them had black end caps....
Go to HogPro's site and check out the PM grips. I just got a set and they are nice.

http://www.hogpro.com/showcat2.php?catid=18

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ordered 'em. Pretty pricey considering the prices of the H-D grips, but I reread that thread and lots of you were pretty happy with them, so I guess they'll be worth it, plus they look a hell of a lot better.

·
insane vrod posse...
2,018 Posts
pacanis said:
No, not that kind :D

The longer ride I go for the more my left hand cramps up when riding. And today my right hand a little bit. I was thinking it was my left hand again yesterday because of what seems like a very heavy clutch pull coupled with, I was working on that "friction zone" thing in the "Riding like a Pro" DVD I just got. Prior to seeing the DVD I guess I was using a feather the clutch technique, I never really paid attention, but "riding the friction zone" has you keeping the clutch partially engaged/slipping, which takes more effort and finesse (IMO). At any rate these hand cramps are getting to be a PITA.

Is there any way to lighten the clutch pull a little bit (I doubt it), or will it ease up with more miles? I am currently around 700.
Or, is this yet another reason to go with aftermarket grips?

I don't get it. I can hammer on crap and use my hands all day without problem, but riding again is puttin' a hurt on them :hmm:

And I did not do a search first. So feel free to yell at me and post the link to a previous discussion on this :chair:

AFTER 10+ plus a day hammering the keyboards on the internet.... (work for big telecom co) my shit is wore out....lol. Renthral grips....coming soon :chair:

AIM during the winter redo......

1 - 18 of 18 Posts