Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Myself and a friend have 2012 Night rod specials with the black denim and orange paint. Both bikes around the 2-3 year mark stated cracking and chipping mostly on the orange strips. It now has cracks some on the black. Anyone else experienced this same problem. Bike has ran great and I have not had any issues with it except the gas gauge. I am trying to figure out best way fix it other than an expensive paint job.
Thanks, KB

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Myself and a friend have 2012 Night rod specials with the black denim and orange paint. Both bikes around the 2-3 year mark stated cracking and chipping mostly on the orange strips. It now has cracks some on the black. Anyone else experienced this same problem. Bike has ran great and I have not had any issues with it except the gas gauge. I am trying to figure out best way fix it other than an expensive paint job.
Thanks, KB
Seems to be a common problem. There was a thread on one of the Facebook V Rod pages where somebody complained about this and multiple people responded with pics of the same problem

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
I suspect the orange strips are vinyl tapes are satin clear coated over. Over time , heat and sun the tape shrinks and cracks. Cheap ass HD method of doing things. If it was all paint, elasticity would be uniform and no cracking should occur. There is no fix other then a repaint, not using tapes this time.
Ron

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I suspect the orange strips are vinyl tapes are satin clear coated over. Over time , heat and sun the tape shrinks and cracks. Cheap ass HD method of doing things. If it was all paint, elasticity would be uniform and no cracking should occur. There is no fix other then a repaint, not using tapes this time.
Ron
Yes, it's surprising, given the cost of Harleys how many cheap ass HD methods exist. Considering their manf philosophy of keeping as many parts common as possible (V Rod excluded to a point!) which is a good cost effective production ethic, their pricing of everything sucks! For the prices they charge we should be seeing the very best of quality which we clearly don't!

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Yes, it's surprising, given the cost of Harleys how many cheap ass HD methods exist. Considering their manf philosophy of keeping as many parts common as possible (V Rod excluded to a point!) which is a good cost effective production ethic, their pricing of everything sucks! For the prices they charge we should be seeing the very best of quality which we clearly don't!
Not sure they have methods, skills or pride in their work. On my 13 DX the two graphic tapes on the rear fender , one side is 3/8" higher at the front then the other. I've also read of these orange stips not exactly positioned before. I guess the use of a positioning pattern is optional some days. Airbox cover is fine. Maybe someone gave a shit on that one.
Ron

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.