Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up this bike Friday! Only 600 miles! Did the first oil change. I noticed that the glass is cracked on the speedometer!! Can I just get the glass fixed or do I have to replace the whole instrument gauges??

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
qcwiz the glass does come off of the cluster but being under warranty they may just replace the entire cluster.

Max

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Max! Think there will be any problem driving for a week or so? Its supposed to rain this week and the nearest dealer is about 50 miles away. I'd like to get that fixed at the same time I get the 1000 mile checkup.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
qcwiz I would make sure to call them and make them aware of the problem so that if they are a decent dealer they can have parts ready for you. If they are like the dealer I purchased my bike from they demand to see even a horn with the chrome peeling before they would order replacement parts even when I told them to order the thing and if they wouldn't cover the defect that I would buy it they replied "come pay for it first" and they wonder why I drive an extra 5 miles just to purchase my filters from another dealer now.

·
Premium Member
2,992 Posts
Max,
The glass on the inside of my speedo pod is getting a little foggy, likely due to living along the Pacific Coast and the typical onshore flow of Pacific ocean air & marine layer fog. Is it major surgery to remove the glass to clean the inside?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Removing the glass is a pretty simple operation, the glass is held on with a simple crimp aluminum band that if you only open the band enough to allow it to pull loose on one side and then slide toward the other side it comes off without opening the band very wide. Then the band is made of a very soft aluminum so to reseal it simply hold it in place tight and bend it back down in the area that you peeled up. Takes a total of 15 minutes now that I have done them.

Max

·
COOLER RIDER
5,180 Posts
Max

Max said:
Removing the glass is a pretty simple operation, the glass is held on with a simple crimp aluminum band that if you only open the band enough to allow it to pull loose on one side and then slide toward the other side it comes off without opening the band very wide. Then the band is made of a very soft aluminum so to reseal it simply hold it in place tight and bend it back down in the area that you peeled up. Takes a total of 15 minutes now that I have done them.
Max
What about the face on the speedo. Would it be hard to change? Mine is somehow warped.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Mine has some water leaks on the inside of the glass but the dealer is replacing it under warranty no problem.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Okie the face of the speedo is a much tougher proposition. The problem with that is that all the pointers must be removed to do what your after and I would not suggest doing that yourself. I'm pretty sure that HD uses services similar to what we do with GM and use a contract company that does all of our cluster repairs that have all the tools to do those changes.

Max

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Max, I'm gonna have dealer problems. I talked with two in the Atlanta area many times, then bought a new bike in Florida. The Atlanta guys did not have the custom I wanted. Now I'm gonna have to be nice to get some one to do the 1,000 mi service. Haven't got to the warranty stuff yet.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
qcwiz it is a shame that some of the dealers make it that way. I did find a good dealer in my area after a lot of looking and after the regular warranty had expired on my 02. I find the extra drive no problem for good service so I suggest that you shop around. Not being the selling dealer does not give them the right to refuse service or to treat you any less then any other customer.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know Max, it does'nt give them the right, but..... You know how it is. I'm still looking. I knew I wanted a V-rod, but the prices in Atlanta were (are) outrageous.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Dana if you can wait until tonight I will take some pictures of my extra unit with the band and exactly how to remove it.

Max

·
Craig Fehr
2,506 Posts
Max, are those your hands in the how to post? If so, how'd you get your hands on a kph gauge? I'm assuming your bikes didn't come that way?

·
4,638 Posts
Excellent class on Spedo 101........ :notworth: :notworth:

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Dana it takes two minutes to remove the cluster. You will find two allen bolts near the center of the cover on the outside edges that go up from the bottom, after you remove them pull the top up at the edge by the headlight and push it back toward the air box cover and the bezel will slip back. Then you uplug the cluster and lift it out.

Max

·
Premium Member
2,992 Posts
Thanks, MAX!

KUDOS! I'm on it! Crash (from this Forum) is coming over this Weds. when I do the 5K on my bike as I'm heading for a 6 week stay in Scottsdale, AZ where I'll put on at least 5K more miles by the time I return to the coast May 15th. I'm going to go ahead to replace the plugs with the HDI OEM plugs set at .035 since my '03 two tone is stock and KAZ provided some good tips on this procedure. I've already replaced the battery as I took delivery via trailer and the next day went for the 100 mile break in ride only to discover the battery was dead. San Jose Harley-Davidson next day'd me a new battery that has been perfect. When I plug in the battery tender, the LED goes green in less the 60 seconds.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts