Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have just discovered my rear cylinder sparkplug hole is full of oil and after removing the cam cover and cleaning the hole of oil i have found a spiral crack in the plug tower which is letting oil from the oil gallery to enter the plug tower.has anyone had this problem?unfortunately this looks like a new head will be needed.unless i can sleeve the tower.fixes and replys would be appreciated.this is a 1250 aw with stage two cams.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
When the plug "tower" fills with oil it is 99% chance it is the cam cover gasket that goes around the spark plug opening. There are no oil passages around the spark plug.

·
1,016 Posts
you say that you can see a spiral crack in the spark plug bore. What year is your bike? I will pm you with my email. If you can take a macro pic do so.I will pm you my email at work.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh yes its definately a crack. i feel so pissed about this.ive been one of the most dedicated vrod buffs around hereabouts with lots of vrod owner customers.now i have been given reason to doubt.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
you say that you can see a spiral crack in the spark plug bore. What year is your bike? Early heads had a casting condition that could create a fracture in the casting of the head in this area. I will pm you with my email. If you can take a macro pic do so.I will pm you my email at work.
i bought it new in august 08. i have sent the photos to your email.

·
1,016 Posts
This will have to go to a dealer for service dept to view. I will email you back.

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
Turk u r the best!

·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts
I forwarded your pic on to my contact in service. This will have to go to a dealer for service to get the company to take care of it. Once I get a return phone call I will email you back.
:notworth: Good one.

·
1,016 Posts
Check you pm pecee, and email me that info. This should go pretty quick as long as you go through dealer services.

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
Now just how cool was this exchange? There are some days that this forum really does kick serious ass. Turk, thank you for being here and caring for the quality of the product you produce.

·
Sleep is over-rated
2,423 Posts
holy sh$tballz

that was fast as heck

·
FATASSDX
2,143 Posts
Now just how cool was this exchange? There are some days that this forum really does kick serious ass. Turk, thank you for being here and caring for the quality of the product you produce.
:them:

Quite impressive, actually. :notworth::notworth:

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
how can i thank you enough for doing this for me turk..i have spoken to my local hd dealer .he is also surprised at this approach of mine to sort this problem.im not sure hes that onto it but we will see.they are not evo experts, yet if i have a claim whats my options?..i said to him that i would reather do the work myself but i dont think thats the way they work..if i have no claim, im going to sleeve that tower to seal the crack..i have a feeling tho that the head is tearing apart at the crack and failure at the water jacket is next.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Man Pecee, sorry to here that, it sucks. However, Turk rocks.......I got goose bumps when I read this. Times like this, my faith in humanity comes back.

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
This VRSC family is AMAZING!
Turk rocks!

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
no matter what happens i still love rideing my vrod[bought my first in-02 and upgraded in 08]and i will sort this problem and be back on the road again.unfortunately thats the end of my summer rideing and planned tour in late feb.this forum has enhanced the pleasure ive had with the vrod and long may it[and the good folks in it] exist.thanks everyone.

·
1,016 Posts
Pecee,
I totally understand your frustration, and sympathize with. On the other hand, trying to sleeve the plug bore to get by is just alot of energy to invest in something that with deteriorate further. I head swap for a dealer shouldn't be a problem. I really don't know what to say other than let them do it. I am sure the dealer is capable.
Just trying to help man, whatever you decide I hope goes smoothly. PM or email me if you need anything more.
To all of you tipping your hats my way: Much love to ya, but in my shoes you would do the same.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts