Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ah, I just keep running into problems it seems. I just purchased this 2007 VRSCAW a couple weeks ago (maybe a month at this point). I walked out into the garage this morning and saw that the red brake light cover is cracked in one of the corners. I didn't notice it before but I suppose I could have always missed it. I'm not quite sure what could have happened since i've had it for such a short period of time. The garage is airconditioned so it can't be from the recent heat we've had here. My dad suggested taking it back to the dealer and seeing what they'll do since it's so new. Suggestions? If I need to replace it, how hard/easy is it to do myself?

·
What -- Me worry?
471 Posts
If your dealer won't warranty it, I have a take-off tail light from my '06 SE2 that I don't need anymore. It's in pristine condition, and I'll send it to you for $40 including shipping. It's actually harder to get the assembly out than reinstall it. There are two spring clips along the bottom edge. Take a flat screwdriver and somehow protect your paint. A 1" putty knife wrapped in masking tape works well. Slip the putty knife (or a credit card) between the bottom edge of the light and the fender and slip the screwdriver between the knife (or card) and the light and gently pry it up. The new one just snaps into place.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Take it to the dealer. The same thing happened to mine and they did cover it no questions asked. I then replaced it with the Harley LED light which is much brighter than stock.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The tail light lens on my StreetRod just cracked in all four corners last Friday. I never heard of such a thing before. My bike just went out of warrranty, so I was concerned the dealer wouldn't "work with me". To their credit, they are going to take care of it since they have "heard of it" before.

·
SpeedoDocter
2,364 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up on the J&P lens...just in case the dealer doesn't come through as they said they would.

·
The Heavycycles Guy
6,785 Posts
It's fairly common for the lights to crack in the forward corners... when replacing, make sure the light is positively centered in the fender opening to reduce the chance of it happening again. The tapering of the fender around the taillight opening can put excess pressure on the corner of the light if it is not properly centered. That's about the best I can tell you right now.

if anyone needs a new OEM lens, let me know.... I have them new in the box, $45, plus shipping (UPS Ground).

Send me an email... [email protected]

·
Lip Smack'n Good
133 Posts
Dealer replaced mine with no questions asked. Was cracked for over a year in about 5 spots, then I got a big spider crack down through the middle. I thought I should get it replaced, before the warranty expired.

Now if DOC just makes my new LED (#899) I'll be much happier.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My local dealer, Cowboy H-D, Austin, TX came through for me with a new lens...through the warranty program. Kudos to them for handling this quickly and efficiently.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts