Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i am on the freeway doing 60+ mph it feels awkward countersteering to the right. I have to shift my weight to the left. does anybody notice this? Is it the big exhaust? Maybe I just have to get used to the v-rod.

·
Registered
582 Posts
My bike did this too- it's a common complaint.

Take it in to a good dealer and get the fallaway adjustment done properly. Straight as an arrow now.

Rodman

·
Registered
974 Posts
Quote:Its the exhaust..........................Harleyvrodguy ..unquote
I agree 100% , when i switched to a "lighter exhaust it pretty much dissappeared.
BobT

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Kevin,
Some front ends needed to be re adjusted to cure the "Klunk" and to recheck "fall away".If you can brake real hard and hear a noise or if youe bike pulls to one side.You should have it checked! ;)

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
The exhaust causes you to counter steer? Man, that's a new one on me. Is this like some people stating about the solid wheels causing the bike to stray in wind too?

I think if you take the combination the wheels, the intake ducts for the radiator, and then maybe marginally the exhaust, you might get a liitle of all the above, depending on wind gust, passing semi rigs etc.

If this were really the case though, why at 130 MPH does my bike handle so well without notice of any of these effects? Maybe a cross wind if strong enough can blow you around some, but that is in either direction. When you relaize that you legs and feet are down and in front of the exhuast system, does not these body parts act to deflect the wind pressure somewhat? I believe an air eddy can occur with the air whipping around the legs, but to cause such a high degree of oversteer says to me the front end is out of adjustment.

Fall away is when the bike is up on a stand, where the front wheel is not on the ground. The wheel is pointed to the front, and with correct torque adjustment to the steering nut, will result in the front end not favoring falling or steering in one direction or the other. This is hard to explain in a small paragraph, but if you are to do this on your own, review of the V-Rod manual explains precisely how to do this job.

Other issues could be the front tube adjustment in the triple trees. The manual gives a measurement of how much each of the front tube should extend above the upper triple tree. If one tube is extended longer than the other, the front end is not adjusted or lined up properly, which would cause handling issues and possibly countersteer effort to make the bike ride as it would for normal riding.

·
Registered
158 Posts
My V-Rod handles great with both hands on the wheel. I don't notice it wanting to go one way or the other, and I don't have to keep any kind of constant pressure on either hand grip to keep it from turning. But if I remove both hands from the handlebars, the bike will turn right fairly sharply. I don't know if it's due to the weight on the right hand side of the bike or not.

But I haven't noticed it having any effect on actually steering...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks to everyone I am dropping my bike to the dealer today and get it checked. Going to get the sport wind deflector too.

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
I know that,when I used to let go of the bars,it would pull to the right.Since I got the supertrapp and the clicking and popping in the stem fixed.It doesn't pull anymore.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts