Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At low speed I tend to sit up straight and lean the motorcycle. Do any of you lean your body to counter-balance during the turn?

·
Comfortably numb!
1,968 Posts
I do this all the time in slow turns, especially at intersections when I am starting from a dead stop. If I am in really tight turns, like in a parking lot, then I will angle the front wheel instead of leaning.

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
Depends on the speed. Usually no. I just use the throttle to hold the bike where I want it. For a high speed turn I'll throw a knee out for counter balance. FWIW.:D

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
This is one of the weirdest things to learn in the ERC class. When we did the annoying figure-8-in-a-box thing, they told us to scoot off the opposite side of the bike. This allowed us to maintain balance while leaning the bike way over to make the tight turn. It also let me feel more comfortable moving around on the bike.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think the only time I tried just using the front wheel to turn, was the one and only time I rode a friends of a friends bike with a side car. Scarred the crap out of me. It was so different from anything I knew about ridding a bike.
I watched side car racing @ the Laguna Raceway, and was in awe at what those guys can do.
Unless its out of gear, lean and throttle is the only way I know how to make a slow turn.

·
THE DORK-ROD
344 Posts
Thats why I like to ride a dirt bike,it fine tunes all those balance skills. Lean in lean out you do it all in the dirt.:D

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
Those of you with mid controls may find it easier to just push down on the outside peg with your foot, same effect, less motion to upset the bike and you stay centered on the controls.
Ed

·
Pineland Underground
14,737 Posts
NightMare said:
This is one of the weirdest things to learn in the ERC class. When we did the annoying figure-8-in-a-box thing, they told us to scoot off the opposite side of the bike. This allowed us to maintain balance while leaning the bike way over to make the tight turn. It also let me feel more comfortable moving around on the bike.
:them: ...couple of people in the ERC I took had some difficulties with it. The instructors, who were both riding these huge ass Goldwings, did it without any problems and made it look way too easy.

·
Out to Lunch
801 Posts
I find it a little difficult with forward controls (kinda like standing up when going over an obstacle) but I try to do it when doing slow turns. It looks impressive when you can grind away at your foot pegs when going under 15mph :D

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
synseer said:
:them: ...couple of people in the ERC I took had some difficulties with it. The instructors, who were both riding these huge ass Goldwings, did it without any problems and made it look way too easy.
I watch the Ride Like a Pro dvd's with a sense of awe for the handling the instructors demonstrate!

·
Non-erator
9,795 Posts
Yup... at slow speed it's the only way to get a good lean on the bike.

·
----->
7,589 Posts
at slow speeds move your ass to the outside of the seat and look to where you are going. I also point my knee into the turn. Seems to help me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts