Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess my garage was too humid over the winter.Some areas of corrosion were noted on my aluminum rims.The areas are about the size of a dime in several locations. Is there any way I can make these less noticeable besides chroming these rims?. buffing? steel wool?. Has anyone polished a set of these rims?.

Help!!!........Doug :confused:

·
Craig Fehr
2,506 Posts
Perfect opportunity to buy after market wheels! :D

Sorry, couldn't resist. And I don't have the stock wheels so I can't offer much other advise.

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
Try Mothers Billet polish.

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
steel wool will work, but it will be more polished there than anywhere else, so you will have to do the whole rim. Mothers billet works great, and does a decent job protecting too.

Vinny!!!!! those look great!!. did you notice a difference with the whole crosswind thing after you had that done?

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
conan said:
.Some areas of corrosion were noted on my aluminum rims.
I'd stay away from steel wool. Steel is harder than aluminum, and will scratch the surface.

You might try "Nevr-Dull", which is a wadding metal polish from Eagle One. I have used it to remove light spots on the aluminum wheels. It obviously is not going to remove pitting.

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
Greg687 said:
Vinny!!!!! those look great!!. did you notice a difference with the whole crosswind thing after you had that done?
The pipes :confused: If that is what you are referring to,I have noticed a differnce in the balance of the bike.I can throw it around more with the right side being SO much lighter. :mrgr: The bike still wanders around when I'm behind big trucks.Crosswinds aren't as bad.I just back from a ride on the highway,with 30mph crosswinds.not bad at all.Will be better when I get some wheels. ;)

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
sorry, yes, I meant worm. I was talking about the wheels. confusing nick names with real names.

Greg

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
Oh well I threw in my .02

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
And it was helpful :)

·
MARK
644 Posts
I had all ready installed the super brace before cutting the wheels
so the problem was all ready solved with the cross winds
I personelly dont think the small cuts in the wheel would make any difference!!!

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
Worm, How much did it cost to get your rims machined? That looks cool, I was thinkin(oh no, not THAT again) bout replacin every ither shield with the V from the V-Rod patch, Then maybe chromin em.
Ed

·
Registered
224 Posts
Nevrdull will work, but be ready for a LOT of elbow grease. You will also need about 3 very clean rags.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have been reading about a product called Shark's Skin. It seems to be a good product. They have a web site. Others I have spoken to swear by it for the V-Rod wheels. It coats and protects the wheels. Has anyone here tried it?

Mark

1 - 20 of 20 Posts