Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI FELLAS!i am having a problem with a few dealers concerning the correct software part # i need for my 03 v-rod.they cant seem to figure out which one i need. i have screaming eagle double barrel pipes/high performance filter/sensor relocation/28 tooth sprocet/air box cover off with air temp sensor taped to lower cover.what is the latest part # that will correctly set the bike up for speedometer/map/timing/etc?the current software loaded into the bike is part #32538-02/DL which is for only the pipes and filter.I hope yo can help me out with this so i can order the corrct stuff from the dealer as i feel uneasy with ther answers. if you need any more info to figure it out please let me know. thanks!jay lavorne

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
If I were you I would compare the price of a race tuner compared to what your dealer wants for flash and labor. But thats just me.

Max

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
The Race tuner gives you the ability to load any map that the motor company makes including the 28 tooth sprocket change. It also gives you the ability to custom build your maps should you want to dyno tune the bike. Unlike the pcrIII the race tuner is just and interface module that lets you load the factory pcm, nothing extra is left on the bike after the flash. Instead of paying the dealer everytime there is a change or you decide to make a change you simply get out your tuner and reflash to whatever you desire.

Max

·
Live Free or Die
938 Posts
I went with the RT at a cost of $365. I justified it as a more versatile tool then the PC3, so worth the additional cost. But I really decided to buy it when I found out that my dealer was going to charge me $150 for my pipe change, then later (because I have not done the 28-tooth) they were going to take another $150 for adding the sprocket change code. Instead of buying the 28T kit, I got the RT and did it myself (got mine from Hale's HD) (28T from TurboTec soon to follow).

The technical experiance found among the members here (and the other forum) and their eagerness to lend a helping hand with advice went a long way towards getting me into the DIY with my own RT. I got some excellent help for the questions that I asked and learned alot reading the suggestions that were made to the meny persons tuning with their RT...

·
If You Ain't Cav...
2,069 Posts
:yak: <-- Mike, sick that he made an impulse PCIIIr purchase.
:stupid: Reality-->:whack:<--Mike

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
For most unless you really do a ton of engine mods, the only real advantage to the RT is the flash for the 28T gearing and that is only available on the latest version. Also the RT flashes your PCM which could void your warranty. That's not an issue with the PCIIIr.

John

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Ketsugo said:
For most unless you really do a ton of engine mods, the only real advantage to the RT is the flash for the 28T gearing and that is only available on the latest version. Also the RT flashes your PCM which could void your warranty. That's not an issue with the PCIIIr.

John
Except that I get over 40 mpg and Frank gets 118 rwhp and both our bikes run like clockwork and don't have speedo issues. BTW, we both use the RT. :diablo:

Sounds like John's having a little PIPS :eek: ;)

·
Premium Member
3,467 Posts
True, if you want to play it safe then stick with a MoCo flash. Though the PC3 is less complicated than the RT, it is very adequate for optimizing fuel tables to your particular intake/exhaust arrangement. And there's less that can go wrong.

In my case, I like my PC3, but the RT is definitely next. I want more control over more variables at the source, the ability to adjust without going to the dealer, and to use the its logging capabilities to see how I'm doing. It's my computer after all. :cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts