Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Are they the stock pipes? If so, it's the 020 PCIIr map.

BUT, you will run rich becuz ChopperSteve made it topless...

Maybe you can help me NAG him to make one with the TOP ON???

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stock V-mods Not se, but I dont think that runing topless would be a problem:D

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Yeah, not a problem, but fairly POINTLESS here...

:(

You lose 1-2 mpg with the 020 map when you run with the top on. It's no big deal, but would be nice to have that back, since I mostly do tour-type riding and get tired of filling up constantly. ChopperSteve says it's LOW on his priority list to do one, despite constant nagging on my part.

If I get to feeling less annoyed with my dealer and flush, I might have them dyno it and make one for me. I'll share, if I do, altho it will still be for my bike and not specifically for yours. That is, if you plan to keep your top on.

:)

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks John.... Got the link but wasn't sure if to use -020 or -021. So -20 and running topless is the way to go?

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Val said:
Thanks, John.

Perhaps I should start nagging them?
Val,

PLEASE don't take this wrong but it's not their job to produce maps. Creating maps costs them money and if they don't see a viable return i.e. more sales because of it then they aren't going to spend the time and money. Remember, their primary responsibility is to make money, sad but true fact.

The bottom line is that everyone should get their bike tuned on a dyno as the last step in the upgrade process. It's only about $100 - $150 tops with your setup. A drop in the bucket compared to all the money we spend on our rides. :cool:

BTW, I ran V-Mods and the SE Slipon remap and got ~40mpg and the bike ran great, you might want to consider getting the remap and possibly selling the PCIII if you don't plan on tuning the bike on a dyno.

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
I understand and was j/k.

I've talked to them at the dealer about dyno'ing it and even they wouldn't charge that much, relatively speaking. After my recent experiences with them, tho, I'm not sure I trust them to do it and their dyno is relatively new, so don't know how much experience they have. The good news with it would be that if they screwed it up, I could re-install the 020 map and would only be out the money.

It would be worth it to me to take the bike anywhere within a couple hundred miles to have it done correctly. That could be NY, the DC area, Cleveland, Philly, Pittsburgh, or up towards Maureen if her new guy turns out to be a good one. I haven't run across any recommendations for a shop that's accessible where I could be confident that I'd get the right thing done yet, however.

Any ideas?

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Val,

You're wise to wait until you have a "warm and fuzzy" feeling about whoever is going to remap your bike. I used to think that mapping the PCIII was almost idiot proof until I read the exploits of Robin (MonsterMax) and his local tuner.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts