Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had the same seat problems as has been documented on this site time and time again. The stock seat is an embarrisment to Harley----TOTALLY.... How they could sell a bike with a seat like that is a mystery to me. I love this bike but comfortable it sure is NOT........The Sundowner is only slightly better but still a (POS). I recently bought a Corbin. By far the best so far. Great quality and comfort is better but not great. It is contoured to your bottom. Leather is top quality. Locking feature is well designed and an added plus. However, it seems Corbin is so proud of their seat firmness. They proudly state when asked about comfort, "Our seats are quite firm". Well Corbin here is some constructive critism. Your seats are good. They would be GREAT IF..........you would make them a little bit less FIRM..........Why is that such a big deal????? If any Corbin reps still read this (they used to) please post an answer.

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
I have a Corbin Dual Tour seat on mine and you are correct, it is very firm. I have put over 30,000 miles on this seat and it is still firm. But, when I get off it after a day in the saddle, I can still walk straight and upright. I don't get the burned ass syndrome like I would on the stocker. I'm not all 'stove up' after an all day ride. I very much appreciate what this seat does for me.

And, after more than 30,000 miles, the seat still looks like it should.

·
Premium Member
10,800 Posts
Agreed - firmer is better. Wider and firmer. Soft tends to crush, leaving you on uncomfortable plastic. Had Corbins on several bikes, great saddles. JMHO, Joe

·
In the Shark Tank!!!
1,633 Posts
First thing another Corbin owner told me was, "In 2 weeks you will break it or it will break you, either way it is broken in..."

·
(Peter)
488 Posts
Love my Corbin. Was an immediate 100% improvement from the stock POS. I wonder why I both to keep it stowed away in the attic. Should just toss it out. I can't imagine I would ever want to put it back on.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've had the same seat problems as has been documented on this site time and time again. The stock seat is an embarrisment to Harley----TOTALLY.... How they could sell a bike with a seat like that is a mystery to me. I love this bike but comfortable it sure is NOT........The Sundowner is only slightly better but still a (POS). I recently bought a Corbin. By far the best so far. Great quality and comfort is better but not great. It is contoured to your bottom. Leather is top quality. Locking feature is well designed and an added plus. However, it seems Corbin is so proud of their seat firmness. They proudly state when asked about comfort, "Our seats are quite firm". Well Corbin here is some constructive critism. Your seats are good. They would be GREAT IF..........you would make them a little bit less FIRM..........Why is that such a big deal????? If any Corbin reps still read this (they used to) please post an answer.
Bought a Corbin for my R a couple of months ago and put about 2,000 miles on it. Still firm but a great seat!
When I ordered it, I was toild that if I have any problem, I could set up an appointment, come in, and they would custiomize it to me and add a softer cusion right under the leather if needed. I read on this forum that another member here sent his seat back to them and they customized it for him as well at no additional cost. Give them a call. What have you got to lose?!
PS
I wear bicycle shorts under my jeans which help in that they do not have any seams on the back of them that put preasure on you back side. Just a thought!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't think that seat was an option for the R. We may be talking apples and oranges here. The porblem with the R is of course that it is so high that the proper thickness of a seat cannot be achieved due to added height it would cause. Did u put this seat on the R?

·
Locktite Queen
2,037 Posts
The porblem with the R is of course that it is so high that the proper thickness of a seat cannot be achieved due to added height it would cause. Did u put this seat on the R?
Umm, not exactly.

The actual problem is the crappy stock foam used in the seat. I had my foam replaced with a more appropriate formulation. The foam density now matches my body weight so it's not too soft, not too firm. Just right. Also, it has different structure and dampens the inputs from the suspension and engine. This results in less discomfort as well.

This foam is much more expensive than the stock stuff so it didn't make it to production. Sure it costs more but how do you ride when your that uncomfortable? Worth every penny imho. Oh, and the seat is the same thickness as the stock seat.

Check out kontour seats if you're curious and want more details....the technical info provided is accurate.

P.S. it worked so well I had my Buell seat modified too!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I didn't think that seat was an option for the R. We may be talking apples and oranges here. The porblem with the R is of course that it is so high that the proper thickness of a seat cannot be achieved due to added height it would cause. Did u put this seat on the R?
Yes, Corbin makes 2 seats for th R. the regular Hollywood (which) I have and the Hollywood Close designed for shorter riders. I am 6' with a 33" inseam and the regular Hollywood positions me 2" further back on the bike but at the same ride height. See photos below of the Corbin and the stock seat
Seat 009.jpg

Stock Seat 1.jpg

The Hollywood Close positions the rider the same distance from the bars but an inch or 2 lower on the bike essentially lowering the ride height of the bike.

As everyone agrees, the stock R seat is crap. I agree that part of the problem is the cheap foam, but for me it was also the shape which pushed me forward onto the "tank". The Corbin Hollywood eliminates all the issues and the stiffer foam, which initially appears to be too hard, redeems itself after a couple hundred miles in the saddle.

If you do not have an R, then disregard all of the comments on seats you will get from this R dedicated area of this forum. The R is very different from the Vrod so if you do not own one, you would get more usefull advice from the other threads didicated to non-R owners

·
Locktite Queen
2,037 Posts
The Corbin seat may be perfect for you. CptJam loves his but then he and I aren't in the same weight class....I'm a fly weight at 140 lbs. I doubt most of the guys on here even think about it, but when you weigh less than the "average" rider it's a problem. So, the Corbin wouldn't work for me. I had my seat reshaped at the same time I changed the foam....

I tuned my suspension is matched to my body weight as well...I don't mess around. :deal:

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have the corbin hollywood solo seat since 2008, for me is the perfect seat. I decided to change the seat due to the street rod and the others v-rod with big fuel tank lose the seatlock of the first v-rods. For my surprise the first day I tried to install the corbin, I needed to install the fender base plate because the passanger corbin touched with the ECM. No problem ,base plate installed, seat installed and the comfort came to me :)
The street rod is a very beautiful motorcycle but with the corbin seat, the motorcycle silhouette is more beautiful now even.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm 5'5" 175lbs of pure oh never mind. I got the corbin on Captjam advice with no regrets, yes its firm but it also has a better overall shape. I chose the reg rather then the close reach and I find in spite of my 5'5'' I still wouldn't mind another two inches to slide back and stretch. I also tend to shift my arse from side to side as my brothers will tell ya I sit cockeyed some times in the sweepers . I guess I should add my first mod to the R was A bars, thus no need for close seat

1 - 12 of 12 Posts