Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
...Put back in the fan relay - relay engages and fans are on. Even with the bike off. Fans won't turn off even though bike is cold. ...
Since you were having trouble getting the fans to come on before but now they're on permanently and you confirmed that the FAN relay is OK, I’d suspect a problem with the White with Red stripe wire that connects to Pin #2 of the ECM. It’s likely not connected to the ECM and now is touching ground somewhere.

Try unplugging the ECM.

If the fans stay on then there’s a short to ground in the W/R wire.

If the only way to stop the fans is unplugging the ECM then the fan control circuit is damaged and you’ll need a new ECM.

·
Dreaming of Twisties
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Since you were having trouble getting the fans to come on before but now they're on permanently and you confirmed that the FAN relay is OK, I’d suspect a problem with the White with Red stripe wire that connects to Pin #2 of the ECM. It’s likely not connected to the ECM and now is touching ground somewhere.

Try unplugging the ECM.

If the fans stay on then there’s a short to ground in the W/R wire.

If the only way to stop the fans is unplugging the ECM then the fan control circuit is damaged and you’ll need a new ECM.
Ugh - the fans go off with the ECM unplugged - anything else it could be besides the ECM? That means a trip back to the dealership to have the TSSM paired with it: read - big bucks... f-in a....

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
Ugh - the fans go off with the ECM unplugged - anything else it could be besides the ECM? That means a trip back to the dealership to have the TSSM paired with it: read - big bucks... f-in a....
Not sure what else you can do now. I wouldn’t have guessed that you had a bad ECM since the fans weren’t going on before and now they won’t go off.

If it were me I’d double check all the ground connections: Cam Cover grounds (points 1, 3, 8, 9, and 10) and the engine case to frame ground near the transmission shift lever. I’d also double check the integrity of the W/R wire, clear the P1481 trouble code and then see if the fans go off. If they still stay on unless you disconnect the ECM, it’s probably going to be a ECM replacement.

·
Dreaming of Twisties
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Not sure what else you can do now. I wouldn’t have guessed that you had a bad ECM since the fans weren’t going on before and now they won’t go off.

If it were me I’d double check all the ground connections: Cam Cover grounds (points 1, 3, 8, 9, and 10) and the engine case to frame ground near the transmission shift lever. I’d also double check the integrity of the W/R wire, clear the P1481 trouble code and then see if the fans go off. If they still stay on unless you disconnect the ECM, it’s probably going to be a ECM replacement.
Well - with the recent battery replacement - it wouldn't surprise me if there was a short someplace - I'll remove the battery again and double check everything. I'd very much prefer that to replacing the ECM - which obviously would entail a trip to the stealer...

Thanks again for the help - I'll let you know how it turns out.

·
Isld Shite Disturber
1,040 Posts
man that stever975 is one smart suma bitch......just love reading your helpful posts dude!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Fan wire connectors

I recently had a fan issue with the P1481 code. Turned out being the wire connectors coming from/going to the fans. I exchanged my fan relay with the starter relay; still didn't work correctly, only sporadically. I took those connectors apart and they were corroded beyond belief. I bought new connectors and the fans work good now.
Good info! I have a '06 VRSCD with P1481 code that will not clear. Relay OK so it must be the connection. Horn died from corrosion and bike is garage kept! Dissapointing. So connections are likely corroded too. Where are they located? In the fan housings are upstream wiring?
Thanks in advance. This site is a wealth of knowledge!!!

·
Premium Member
11,356 Posts
OK - so here's where we're at...

Took out the starter relay and put in the fan relay - bike starts.
Put back in the fan relay - no fan.

Jumped the fan relay pins - fans on just fine.

Put back in the fan relay - relay engages and fans are on. Even with the bike off. Fans won't turn off even though bike is cold.

I have a P1481 code in there from the relay being out - but nothing else.

Any thoughts?
Sounds to me like the fan relay connections are screwed up or the relay was improperly reinstalled. "Fans running constantly" now. Relay must be hosed somehow. Check the pins and connections to the relay.

·
Mater Distiller
1,440 Posts
Sounds to me like the fan relay connections are screwed up or the relay was improperly reinstalled. "Fans running constantly" now. Relay must be hosed somehow. Check the pins and connections to the relay.
:them:

·
"A" is the only way
3,349 Posts
I feel for you man, trying to diagnose a electrical issue like this is a pita on these bikes, they are so damn finicky when it comes to electrical on them. I'd be double checkin the ground on the cam cover, maybe you wiggled it loose putting the battery in.

904 Posts
Long shot here, but if you are running a PCIII, definitely check the connections there. When the PCIII is mounted under the left side cover, water can run down the wiring harness from the steering head area, directly into the big connector -- over time it corrodes the pins at the bottom of the connector where the water settles. Guess which pin is at the bottom? Cooling fans!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Problem Solved

Greg,
Thanks for info on fan wiring connection, they were clean. I checked operation of the fans jumping from my battery tender hot lead and they ran fine. I swapped the relays as directed and the bike did start indicating the fan relay was good but.....I replaced it anyway. After a quick inspection I did not believe there could be a short so I assumed the relay was bad but possibly partially functional. If the price was right I would test the theory. At Tilleys HD the relay #31522-00C RELAY, SPDT, MICRO W/DIODE SUP was only $5.00 w/ tax so I went for it. Note that the parts man said that the swap test should indicate that it was good. Well after installing the new Italian relay I first cleared all codes and then fired 'er up with no check engine light and assumed that fans are now functional!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Chk Engine Light Back On

Went for a ride yesterday and P1481 was back! Damn engine light came on shortly after idle. My bad on the relay repair!?! Did note that engine light seemed to correspond to temperature as it went of after cruising down the road and then came on after hitting it hard for a bit. When I returned I let er idle for quite a while and the fans never came on. Frustrating madness! I suppose a trip to the dealer is next.

·
Dreaming of Twisties
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Good to hear you got it fixed.

Haven't heard any more from Speedy ?

Thanks Greg - I was busy untying myself after this thread got hijacked...

I know everyone's anxiously awaiting news - but after all the battery running over the past few weeks - I had to put the battery back on the tender to get it back up to proper voltage. Hopefully by this weekend we'll have an answer.

If it's the ECm - I'm going to try to find a T-Max and just bite the bullet and upgrade.

if it's wiring - I'll be too busy riding to care!

Stay tuned.

·
Dreaming of Twisties
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
So here's the story - seems that it's the ECM - but the bike runs with the relay in and the fans are just on all the time.

Elegant?

No.

Workable for now.

Yes.

Off to ride again...

·
Premium Member
11,356 Posts
This may be a dumb thing to say but looking at the schematic of the Fan relay if the relay was installed backward you would have 12 volts going to the fans all the time. I checked my vrscx and it is possible to plug that relay in backward. Try turning it around 180 degrees.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Check the fan relay, one of two relays on the fuse cluster. You can switch the relays to see if it will run the fans. You can also take the old relay down to any NAPA dealer and get a replacement for about $10. They are used on all kinds of vehicles.

Mike

I am having a problem with my fans also - switched relays - still no fans...

(2007 dx)

·
Dreaming of Twisties
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
After several months of the bike sitting and being worked on - I finally gave up and took it to the dealership. It was the ECM. Fortunately, a friendly forum member had sold me one of his and the bike's as good as new.

Getting her cleaned up and going to hit the classifieds soon to make more room in the garage for the new Buell.

Thanks everyone for their input.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts