Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had taken my engine out and apart and replaced some parts 08 VRSCDX. Back together and then I notice that my top cooling fan is melted on the back (as I am preparing to install the rad...so...) There is this really great post about cooling fans on this forum. Great detail about how if your an 04 or later, you have to buy both fans if one fails as it is all one assembly. This to the tune of over $600.00. I didn't check this out...just what the post said. :mad: So I bench test both fans and of course the melted one didn't work. I pressed the blade off the bad one and removed the motor from the assembly. I know I am not supposed to do this...I should buy the really expensive part. I went to the local Yamaha dealer and put in an order for the pre 04 fan motor assembly directly from "Spal" who makes the fan. The motor is the same but the assembly is different. The pre 04 Vrods have separate fans. ....So...The Yamaha dealer is really cool and said he would order same. Now it is important to know that these fans are employed in many applications....quads...other bikes besides Harleys. Here is where it gets non-believable. My wife and daughter and I are walking from the dealership and right behind same...on the street behind...and in the ditch...I happened to look and there in the aforementioned ditch is a "Spal fan"...yup!! that is right! I walked down in the ditch and picked it up and it was the exact fan that I needed...wrong assembly but who cares. The assembly part was broken which is probably why it was discarded. Now you have to understand that I am not in the habit of putting parts, that I find in the ditch, on my bike...unless I have to of course. I took the part home, pressed it out of the assembly and bench tested it and...:dance:it worked. I pressed it into the Vrod assembly. Important note, the fan fits with an interference tolerance so it does weaken this part...so I drilled the end of the shaft and threaded it and put a machine screw in the end to prevent it slipping off. Don't think it would but just in case. :blahblah: An even longer story shortened...it works perfect. I check it religiously which a guy should anyway. Cancelled the order from the Yamaha dealer for the Harley fan and will order one of these instead should the need arise. (Did someone say warranty...yup thought of that too. This bike is so modded that I do not think I can get it...plus my turbo melted the fan...cuz of lack of methanol which caused other problems...hence I had the engine apart). I also have the assembly part number which houses this fan
(VA57-A101/WP-46A) "Spal" (from the ditch)
if anyone wants this new one. Not sure what the fan was out of but I bet it is easier to get and cheaper since the new pre 04 single one from Harley is over $250.00. :angeldev: I know there are schools of thought on saving money on expensive engines. My school of though is ...save your money. Have a good one...Blaise

·
boredom kills
2,324 Posts
I aplaud your out of the box thinking and ingenuity.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts