Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 2002 VROD and it is leaking a little bit of Coolant. I am going to take it in to get looked at, but I can not see where I can chack the Coolant level before I ride there.

Help the Newbie

·
Registered
271 Posts
Pop open the saddle, release the airbox cover & look under it. Be carefull not to lift the cover too high or you'll hit the gauge cluster. Use the search function for more info on coolant.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
Coolant level can't be checked under the air cover lid.

Coolant level is checked with bike on side stand and engine cold. Open right side cover (one screw at upper right) and look at "COLD FULL" mark on overflow bottle. If low add coolant to bottle.

·
Bike snob
756 Posts
Um, neither are entirely correct.

Check your overflow bottle per stever975's post. But also check the presence of coolant in the actual system under the airbox. There is a small plug next to the airfilter, right side. Remove that, then remove the small hex head bolt/plug to make sure there is coolant in the system.

Even if you fill the overflow bottle, that may not be enough for the bike if there is not enough in the radiator and engine.

·
Registered
74 Posts
OHCOP72,
Do you know where it is leaking from? Check around the water pump. There should be a little bleeder hole on the left side. That little crevice on the engine block sometimes fills up with fluid when the O rings are shot. Soon you'll have blow-by and oil could seep into there. Happened to me and took HD some detective work to figure out what it was.:2cents:

·
Premium Member
Pan American Son of VROD :-)
1,089 Posts
3 checkpoints

1. Coolant bottle
2. Radiator cap
3. Hex plug on coolant line.

For detailed instructions it's best to get the service manual. You'll be glad you did.

Likely leak spots...
- Radiator cap
- Top of coolant bottle
- Water pump

p.s. Welcome to the club!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
paarrowman said:
OHCOP72,
Do you know where it is leaking from? Check around the water pump. There should be a little bleeder hole on the left side. That little crevice on the engine block sometimes fills up with fluid when the O rings are shot. Soon you'll have blow-by and oil could seep into there. Happened to me and took HD some detective work to figure out what it was.:2cents:

OK, So if I find it is leaking from there, then the O rings are shot, how expensive is that gonna be. The bike runs great and only has about 2500 miles on it.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,946 Posts
Where is it leaking from?
Give area that you see the coolant is coming from.

Be sure to check all your clamps and check your coolant lines for cracks.
You can tighten the clamps yourself...Just follow the lines.
You might safe yourself some money from the stealer.
Ask questions and use the search function...you can learn alot here on the forum. There are alot of great people here with alot of knowledge.

Thanks
Rod

Where at in Ohio?
me in ohio too..

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Problem SOLVED, I took my bike to the local Harley Wizard and we found the cap on the overflow where the hose attatches, the nipple part of the cap was broke in two, so when the engine wanted to use the overflow it was just spilling coolant. Easy and cheap fix.

Thanks for all the reaponses.

·
Premium Member
Pan American Son of VROD :-)
1,089 Posts
Glad to hear you found it. That's the easiest one to fix. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When I went to the HD shop to get my part, I was amazed to find that it was not just a cap but a whole replacement bottle with a different cap. Apparently this is a replacement bottle kit. I was able to install it in about 20 minutes.

·
Paintless Rider
1,326 Posts
OHCOP72 said:
When I went to the HD shop to get my part, I was amazed to find that it was not just a cap but a whole replacement bottle with a different cap. Apparently this is a replacement bottle kit. I was able to install it in about 20 minutes.

It seemed that all the old ones broke. New design to solve the problem. Glad you got off easy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts