Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
V-ROD User
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cleaning my bike notice the coolant level was low it is 8:30 at night. Does anyone use something other than H-D coolant, like something I can get at wal-mart? I did a search on coolant did not see a thread about coolant brands that can be used. :helpme:

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Page 88 of my owners manual states:
"Genuine HD Extended Life Antifreeze & Coolant is pre-diluted and ready to use full strength. DO NOT add water.
If you find yourself in a location where Genuine HD coolant is not available you may use a 50-50 mixture of di-ionized water and Ethylene Glycol based antifreeze."

·
Biker Pilot
1,104 Posts
THe HD tech suggested that I buy GM coolant and not pay the high price for the HD stuff. I haven't looked into it further yet though.

·
Registered
224 Posts
The extended life stuff is orange in color. Found this out working with my wife's Firebird. If your supposed to use extended life coolant, DONT use the old green (regular) antifreeze. Something in the chemical compound will damage the newer radiators. Maybe Max should sound off on this??

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
v_cruz said:
I was cleaning my bike notice the coolant level was low it is 8:30 at night.
Before you go pouring stuff in the overflow tank (and possibly end up breaking the cap), there are a couple of things you need to consider:

First, is the system really low on fluid? Make sure that the coolant is at ambient temperature before checking that it is at the "cold" full level. If the coolant is hot you may not get a truly accurate reading.

Second, if you have lost coolant, where has it gone? The cooling system is closed, and any losses can only come through leaks in the system. Check the fasteners around the water pump too see if any fluid has leaked out there.

Lastly, if you do decide you need to add just a tiny bit of liquid (i.e. half a pint or so) you could probably get by just adding distilled water. You won't dilute the antifreeze too much by doing so.

·
High Performance
276 Posts
The coolant in the Vrod is Dexicool, the same red/orange stuff used in GM cars for the past few years. You can buy a gallon of the undiluted stuff at Wal Mart cheaper than the diluted stuff from HD.

If your tank is a little low, just add a little water this time. While you are at it, take a screwdriver to all of the hose connections.

·
V-ROD User
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, I got some Dexicool for GM cars. I am going to just add distilled water this time being it was not as low as it looked. Had to use a flash light under the frame to see it in the bottom of the tank. I am going to check the connections in the water system I think I have a small leak.

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
don't use tap water.Use deionized water.If you don't the aluminum in the cooling system will start to corrode,and slowly close off the tubes in the radiator.Which in time will lead to overheating problems,and possibly a new radiator,or severe engine damage.$$$$

1 - 9 of 9 Posts