Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all-
I recently acquired an 06 R and would like to install a temp gauge. Probably going to modify the horn cover to accept a 1.5” gauge (unless others have a better idea) but was wondering where would be the best place to install the sender/sensor? I’d like to keep the lamp functional if possible.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Hello all-
I recently acquired an 06 R and would like to install a temp gauge. Probably going to modify the horn cover to accept a 1.5” gauge (unless others have a better idea) but was wondering where would be the best place to install the sender/sensor? I’d like to keep the lamp functional if possible.
Thanks in advance
You could tap into the bleed hole in the pipe. Might need some form of adapter, depending on probe length.
Ron

·
"Vrod King"
816 Posts
I've got oil pressure and coolant temp gauges mounted in the top of the horn covers on some of mine. On two, I found a cake pan from UK with nice square sides which I cut in half and run 3 gauges in. Those mount to the top frame rail and is shaped to fit against the tube. Some of the gauges are oil filled and all are mechanical with full sweep. As for the coolant sensors, I got a few inline radiator hose temperature switch adapters that are 1 1/4" OD and are tapped 3/8" NPT. (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Inline-Radiator-Hose-Temperature-Switch-Adapter-3-8-NPT-1-1-4-OD-30mm-OD/312173547940?hash=item48aefe51a4:g:IPMAAOSwIKFc-IpM)

Yes, you read that right. A cake pan was used in the build.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You don’t happen to have pics you could post? I’d love to see that.
And thanks for the great ideas

·
"Vrod King"
816 Posts
Sorry no pics yet. If you add a oil pressure gauge, take the stock sensor out and throw it as far as you can and get one set for 20psi. You can get them from Longacre Racing and a few other places. I've changed all five of mine and tested the old ones to see went the light would come on. Four of them were between 5-7psi and one was 3psi.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Sorry no pics yet. If you add a oil pressure gauge, take the stock sensor out and throw it as far as you can and get one set for 20psi. You can get them from Longacre Racing and a few other places. I've changed all five of mine and tested the old ones to see went the light would come on. Four of them were between 5-7psi and one was 3psi.
Part number for the ones you use?

·
"Vrod King"
816 Posts

·
"Vrod King"
816 Posts
Yeah, you'll need at some point to go from 1/4 NPT to 1/8 NPT in the fittings.

·
ColonelB
160 Posts
It's less direct, but a simple oil temperature gauge dipstick will tell you if you have an issue or not with a whole lot less messing around. Harley has one for $39: https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/vrsc-oil-temperature-dipstick.

My commute regularly puts me in DC city traffic and despite the heat in the summer I feel, a quick lean over to view the dipstick tells me all is well. 85k miles on my 06R, and it hardly uses more oil than when new.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I've got a powervision so I set 1 gauge to display "Engine Temp" which is actually the coolant temp which is nice to monitor.

Short of upgrading the oil sensor and adding a gauge, if you get a normal baseline oil temp using this dip-stick oil temp gauge, and you lose oil pressure, would the oil get noticeably hot quickly and you would see it on the gauge and shut down avoiding damage?
thx

1 - 11 of 11 Posts