Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after a coolant temp gauge for my '08 turbo night rod.
which brand, part # etc ?
any thoughts, pro's, cons etc
thanx boys

·
Registered
445 Posts
thanx boys
None.

Buy a PowerVision and add it to your virtual gauges. I have ECT on mine always. Easy to view and great way to verify fan and water pump operation is good to go.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
None.

Buy a PowerVision and add it to your virtual gauges. I have ECT on mine always. Easy to view and great way to verify fan and water pump operation is good to go.
That's what I do as well. Used for tuning and get the other benefits like gauges you like to view later.
Ron

·
Registered
259 Posts
I've got a new powervision on my 06 D - looks like the ECU doesn't digitally monitor the Coolant Temp? - older model? Just a Dumb Mechanical Thermostat on mine?
I setup display gauges for RPM, Speed and IAT Temp - but coolant gauge doesn't work _Thanks for your thoughts...

- I added the powervision to do a a Stage1 - Topless K&N VMOD1 -pipes -Loaded Screaming Eagle Tune -works good. The gauge displays are great. Stock speedo and RPM gauges are too small to read!

·
Registered
445 Posts
I've got a new powervision on my 06 D - looks like the ECU doesn't digitally monitor the Coolant Temp? - older model? Just a Dumb Mechanical Thermostat on mine?
I setup display gauges for RPM, Speed and IAT Temp - but coolant gauge doesn't work _Thanks for your thoughts...

- I added the powervision to do a a Stage1 - Topless K&N VMOD1 -pipes -Loaded Screaming Eagle Tune -works good. The gauge displays are great. Stock speedo and RPM gauges are too small to read!
Interesting. I'd be surprised if that was the case (no ECT sensor that feeds data to the bus).

I say this as that's ancient technology and most modern ECMs MUST have a coolant temp value to make several adjustments (idle adjustments via the IAC for one comes to mind).

·
VRSC est -03
2,262 Posts
thanx boys
I hooked up a mecanical gauge to the thermostat housing. Plenty work involved, turbo & exhaust had to come off.
Check for gasket surface flatness if welding the t-house...
More easy alternative is connecting your temp gauge to the top radiator pipe, removing the air bleed plug, next to plenum.
https://www.smiths-instruments.co.uk/dual-gauges

Attachments

·
Registered
259 Posts
Re- Moler's post -
"I have a PV on my 06 D and temp gauge works fine. Somethings not right there.

I might have a problem. Fans didnt come on when maxi-fuse went in on my first start this spring. I cleaned the fuse and relay legs and the fuse box. Reset them and the Fan runs on and off like it should when maxi put in.

Fans seem to come on when they should and a little fresh air and they go off pretty quick.

Peak Global and some Water-Wetter.

* So I can't seem to pick up the Coolant Temp signal on the PV Gauges and that makes me wonder about my original (fixed) no fan run-up when MAXI fuse goes in issue.

Thx

·
Registered
445 Posts
Re- Moler's post -
"I have a PV on my 06 D and temp gauge works fine. Somethings not right there.

I might have a problem. Fans didnt come on when maxi-fuse went in on my first start this spring. I cleaned the fuse and relay legs and the fuse box. Reset them and the Fan runs on and off like it should when maxi put in.

Fans seem to come on when they should and a little fresh air and they go off pretty quick.

Peak Global and some Water-Wetter.

* So I can't seem to pick up the Coolant Temp signal on the PV Gauges and that makes me wonder about my original (fixed) no fan run-up when MAXI fuse goes in issue.

Thx
Wait, so you DO see the PID/option to add the engine coolant temp on your PV, but just not getting any data?

Is your bike idling like crap?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Wait, so you DO see the PID/option to add the engine coolant temp on your PV, but just not getting any data? - Correct.

Is your bike idling like crap? - no, runs fine..

Fans cycle on and off as normal when needed...

Sensor?
Doh!

·
Registered
24 Posts
My PV I just installed today also doesnt display coolant temp, Any thoughts why? Battery,Engine temp etc work.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
My PV I just installed today also doesnt display coolant temp, Any thoughts why? Battery,Engine temp etc work.
I don't remember it having an actual coolant temp. Engine temp is what I use, which is actually reading the coolant temp.
Ron

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeah it has a coolant temp option and Engine temp. Engine temp works fine and was sitting at 91degrees which as you say may be coolant as 91 degrees after a ride sounds about right?

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Yeah it has a coolant temp option and Engine temp. Engine temp works fine and was sitting at 91degrees which as you say may be coolant as 91 degrees after a ride sounds about right?
I take it that's 91C. That's about 195F. Should be able to switch it from metric to Imperial in settings/units on the PV screen. Settings for WinPV will be in options at the top drop down menu. You will know it's right when the PV and wall thermometer in the shop match pretty close before starting the bike.
Ron

·
Registered
259 Posts
Dang, that's all it is maybe?
I'll change it to engine temp if thats monitoring the coolant. duh
The PV is expensive but it made my Topless Vmod Stage 1 tune a breeze.
Using Screaming Eagle - Hi FLo Air Filter Tune.

It's Nice having 4 digital gauges EZ to read.
RPMS, Speed, IAT - outside temp and Volts.
SPEED especially as the 06D speedo is hard to read...
Trying Engine Temp tomorrow.
Thx!

·
Registered
259 Posts
rbabos - "Engine temp is what I use, which is actually reading the coolant temp."
Thanks! - that's all it was.

I Switched Gauge Display to "Engine Temp" tonight - worked.
Cool out - 64 degrees. Running at 181-186 F
Nice to have that Displayed.
For now I setup - Speed - RPM's- IAT - Engine Temp
Voltmeter is a winner too

* Over the winter I plan to get one of the Dip Stick Oil Temp Gauges
Any experiences out there on those?
Gets a decent reading from the lower engine?
Thx

·
Registered
259 Posts
Did you get the word - Engine Temp is Coolant Temp.
I believe that is correct. I set it to engine temp and got 181-6 degrees on a cool ride tonight - 65 degrees out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts