Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for the second time now I have had the nipple crack and break off the cap to the coolant overflow bottle underneath the airbox cover. has anyone else had this happen to them? It seems that the possitive pole boot on the battery cause a lot of pressure right on the line where the nipple is. I was talking with the tech's at my shop and they said that the 2005 A's have a different bottle set up than the 2004's. I said that is great but it makes no since cause my bike is an 05. If anyone else has had this problem or heard of this and has a good fix for it could you please post it. While it has coast me nothing to fix, it is just a big hastle to take my bike to the shop and explain it too them what has happened every other month. Thanks in advance.

Malac

·
Registered
323 Posts
I think he meant that the street rod. The street rod has a different tank without the nipple in the cap.

There has been so many of these caps breaking that they should be replacing the bottles with the new design. BUT THEY WONT. At around 300 miles mine was cracked off. For all I know it could have been like that when I picked it up.

·
EXCELSIOR
8,609 Posts
Do a search. Someone, forget who, did a great fix with some small brass fittings.
Had mine replaced the first week as well. Seems the offending cap nipple is very brittle.
I think that sometimes because of the routing of the line that removal or reinstallation of the airbox cover, by a newbie like I was, may be the cause.
I agree that it should be an across the board recall item to replace with the new design. Every week there is at least 1 new post about this.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i'm getting mine replaced as well... i've had my 05 for a little over a month and the 1st time i took the hood off to install my pcIII, i saw the hose was off of the cover. i've never even touch it b-4. it would be nice to have some other material for the cap instead of plastic...

·
Red Hot Rod
1,084 Posts
They have a new cap design with a tab.....also a completely new design bottle and cap with the in and outlet in different locations.....

·
Oh Atlanta
2,431 Posts
v red said:
They have a new cap design with a tab.....also a completely new design bottle and cap with the in and outlet in different locations.....
They do - and it's the same part as the Street Rod - VRSCR - it has two different part numbers - the V-Rod books shows one updated number while the R shows another, but it's the same bottle.

They completely redesigned the whole bottle and it took care of the small leak I had (even after changing out the upper snap-in tube piece).

Dave

·
Registered
7 Posts
I hate to tell you guys but I have an '06 Street Rod and I've got the leaking coolant problem up at the bottle. At 1100 miles I had to have my oil cooler replaced because of a bad braize at the hose connection causing an oil leak. After I got the bike back from the dealer then I started smelling coolant. I guess they must have disturbed something having to do with the bottle while replacing the oil cooler. :ithappen: Problem is I can't tell for sure if it's coming from the cap or from where the hose connects to the bottle. It only leaks when I run at high speeds (80mph+) for several minutes. My point is, I have the new bottle that is supposed to fix the problem and I have a coolant leak.

·
Oh Atlanta
2,431 Posts
gfrench said:
I hate to tell you guys but I have an '06 Street Rod and I've got the leaking coolant problem up at the bottle. At 1100 miles I had to have my oil cooler replaced because of a bad braize at the hose connection causing an oil leak. After I got the bike back from the dealer then I started smelling coolant. I guess they must have disturbed something having to do with the bottle while replacing the oil cooler. :ithappen: Problem is I can't tell for sure if it's coming from the cap or from where the hose connects to the bottle. It only leaks when I run at high speeds (80mph+) for several minutes. My point is, I have the new bottle that is supposed to fix the problem and I have a coolant leak.
Unfortunately there is more than one place than can leak. Since the bottle is on top and the oil cooler towards the bottom, I would check all of the hose clamps in and around the lower rad area.

Dave

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you route the overflow line direct to the overflow tank, along side the black plastic air cleaner cover the overflow cap intake nipple will be aimed back at the radiator cap and then cut off the extra six inches or so of excess overflow tube. It doesn't look like it would fit, but it does. I think that was the way it was designed, but the production line couldn't figure it out. This makes a much cleaner installation, and there's more room for your pclll.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Quick and CHEAP fix for the Broken Nipple Syndrome

Malac, and anyone else interested. I found my coolant bottle nipple broken also, and in keeping with my vow to almost seek death before unnecessarily buying a replacement part, I fixed it with an inch of 3/16" OD brass tubing and epoxy. It's easy to do and costs almost nothing. I didn't even ask what a new bottle costs, (I bet $40) and I'm sure the cap alone is unavailable, besides, I like the challenge.
Cut the brass tube with a tube cutter, rough the outside surface up to hold the epoxy/or glue/ or whatever you're using. Run a 3/16" drill bit thru the nipple and the cap so the tube fits, (I just spun it with my hand, did not attach it to a drill, sort of like a thread chaser), slather with adhesive, assemble leave it overnite and install the next day.
I have to assume the reduced dia won't be an issue. Don't plug the tube up with glue. Solid. See pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
:cheers: Mustang Great Post! Don't have the problem...yet but will bookmark this

·
Registered
218 Posts
If I had thought about it, I would have "pre-broken" the nipple on MY time and made the "upgrade/repair" before it broke by itself on the middle of a long drive thru Death Valley!
OR just follow V-Roger's solution before it's too late!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dose anyone have a part number or an extra or a good place online to get one ?? I have an 05 v rod and it’s been broken sense last year .. I don’t know where the cap is any more I just have a cloth in it .. prob not good .. I can’t find a cap anywhere and if I do find it u have to buy the whole unit for like 40$ and I only need the cap

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
Dose anyone have a part number or an extra or a good place online to get one ?? I have an 05 v rod and it’s been broken sense last year .. I don’t know where the cap is any more I just have a cloth in it .. prob not good .. I can’t find a cap anywhere and if I do find it u have to buy the whole unit for like 40$ and I only need the cap
Fredy.ee makes new improved caps for that bottle.
Ron

1 - 17 of 17 Posts