Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Kiss the Ring
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a small coolant leak which I suspect is coming from junction between the overflow tube and the coolant main (it only leaks when the bike is hot). You can see on the pic below, the overflow peg is sitting about 3/4" to 1" above the frame.

But that is because the bike is resting on a stand (pic below). When on the ground, the overflow peg rests firmly on the frame... So I suspect there is a pinhole in the weld where the overflow tube joins the coolant tube.

A) That tube seems like a bitch to change... Would you advise welding the pinhole? and which type of welding would you use.

B) is it normal to have so much play between the engine and frame when I jack the bike, and should the overflow tube normally rest on the frame? Do I have an engine mount problem?

I suspect this problem may be linked to this one http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148952 , but I can't see anything wrong with my engine mounts.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Kiss the Ring
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone??

·
Premium Member
11,287 Posts
That tube should not be resting on the frame when the bike is lowered. This symptom is probably related to your tank puncture. I would shoot this problem first. Try lowering the bike slowly until you see the tube starting to move toward the frame and find out why.

I can't check my 2003 because I sold it but that tube on my 2007 is at least 1 inch from the frame. No way should it rest on the frame. Probably is why it is cracked.

·
Kiss the Ring
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm suspecting my front engine mount... I'm going to reassemble the back and start investigating the front engine mount.

Although this tube is located directly over the back engine mount which should have no up and sway at all... weird

:)

·
Kiss the Ring
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Went to the stealer's today.. That tube goes for 275$ :mad:

I'm definitely repairing the one i have.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
I suspect the rear engine mounts are worn allowing the rear of the engine to sag.

·
Registered
605 Posts
As thin as the coolant tube is it would be a bitch to weld. May seem like a bogus method, but try cleaning the area really well and put JB Weld on the area you suspect. Also the cap could be leaking and giving you a false indication. NAPA # 703-1443 will work.
Sure could be your upper front mount. I changed the mount on my 02 for the updated mount quite a while back. Sorry I cant remember the part number but it should turn up in a search on this site.

·
Kiss the Ring
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Checked the front mouint, solid as rock...

This problem is hard to trouble shoot any further at this point, until the bike is back on wheels it's on hold.

Thanks for the suggestion to check the cap, it could be just that (wouldn't that be nice!!) and also for using a coumpound instead of welding, that would be alot easier :)

·
Kiss the Ring
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looking at my pic, I notice my cap is on backwards.. Hmmm

Reactions: Slingrod

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Checked the front mouint, solid as rock...

This problem is hard to trouble shoot any further at this point, until the bike is back on wheels it's on hold.

Thanks for the suggestion to check the cap, it could be just that (wouldn't that be nice!!) and also for using a coumpound instead of welding, that would be alot easier :)
The tube can be welded,soldered or brazed.Take it to a radiator shop.Fixing a break in the tube any other way is just a temporary fix.
You really need to find what is wrong with your bike before something terrible goes wrong.

·
Kiss the Ring
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did! see my other thread about the gas tank.. I was worried too it could come appart at anytime, but apparently it wont! :D

I think brazing would be the easiest way to go, I wjust wasn't sure what material was made of.. Is it metal, zinc or aluminum?

·
Kiss the Ring
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, well well!!!

I took a closer look at my front engine mount today. Although the mount itself is in perfect shape I discovered that the bolts holding it to the frame were purely severed!!! :eek:

So the front of the engine was completely loose, as well as the radiator which is held by the same bolts... NICE!! That is obviously what caused my coolant tube to break, the engine obviously sitting lower than it should.

How does that happen?? I mean they are not tiny bolts !! :mad:

·
1130cc is enuff 4 me
2,426 Posts
The tube can be welded,soldered or brazed.Take it to a radiator shop.Fixing a break in the tube any other way is just a temporary fix.
You really need to find what is wrong with your bike before something terrible goes wrong.
Seriously, I had a very similar situation which spun out of control resulting my bike being at the stealership for 42 days!!!!! Looking back... I should've taken it to a reputable radiator shop & have them repair it. You have basically the same issue I had. I bet the radiator shop can fix that without taking your bike apart.

·
Kiss the Ring
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I had to take out the rad hoses anyhow to pull the radiator out and remove the engine mount and more specifically the two broken bolts.

So I have the tube in hand now, i'll bring it over the radiator shop to have it welded tomorrow.

·
Kiss the Ring
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well judging from your quote "Ride it like you rented it" it's probably not too hard to figure it out!:bash:
I have absolutely no idea what you are referring to! :angeldev:

·
Kiss the Ring
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I changed the sheared bolts from my engine support and had my coolant tube welded at a friends shop and everything is back to normal.. The tube sits a good inch above the frame now!

BTW' this is aluminium, not the easiest thing to weld.

·
Registered
3 Posts
As thin as the coolant tube is it would be a bitch to weld. May seem like a bogus method, but try cleaning the area really well and put JB Weld on the area you suspect. Also the cap could be leaking and giving you a false indication. NAPA # 703-1443 will work.
Sure could be your upper front mount. I changed the mount on my 02 for the updated mount quite a while back. Sorry I cant remember the part number but it should turn up in a search on this site.
Hi on napa Number says 13lbs and on Harley says 1.1 ? Is this the right pressure? Thanks cause my cap is dripping on my 2011

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Use a 1.1 bar cap. It's 16 psi. Going with a lesser pressure could release too much fluid into the overflow bottle. As for the cap dripping, where exactly? Could be sealing surfaces or tabs not straight or the ramping on the tube worn unevenly. This can be addressed with tab bending but be warned, you will need to test system pressure cap dumping after that. Unless you have a special tool hooked into the bleed port to register actual psi bleed point, I avoid screwing with the cap tabs. The actual quality of some caps is piss poor especially in rated pressure. Try another brand first and see it that helps.
Ron

1 - 20 of 21 Posts