Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sigh....Vent Mode ON

Out for a short ride today....~ 60 miles.... and returned home to find coolant leaking, again. I'm just whining so you can ignore this.

I'll post the source when I find it.

Vent Mode OFF

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
What was the general location, water pump, tank hose? Both seem to have had problems on some bikes.

Max

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This leak at first blush looks like it's coming from the bottom bolt on the water pump. I had the weep hole leak and they put a new pump in. I've had two other coolant line leaks, both fixed.

Do you know if there's a torque spec for the water pump bolts?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
9.7NM or 85 inch pounds. In other words not very tight at all.

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Max. I'll give it a closer examination when it's cooled off.

Have a good night!

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to close on this one....the bolts on the waterpump were unevenly torqued. Resetting them appears to have cleared the problem. I've put 200 miles on since the adjustment and things are still dry.

Thanks Max!

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Thats good news LiquidSilver.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had the light problem and found a loose clamp. I went to the dealer to buy a gallon of coolant but they were sold out. Any suggestions on a "off the shelf" that I can use with HD Coolant? I have always been taught not to mix fluid brands. So, should I drain the system? I bought the bike in April and have 12000 miles...Ride on!

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Big One - SR, I can't remember who pointed it out but one of the members did that the HD anti freeze has special properties. It comes de-ionized and pre mixed. Is there another dealer you could check with.

Max

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
Big One - SR said:
I have always been taught not to mix fluid brands. So, should I drain the system? I bought the bike in April and have 12000 miles...
If you are just a "little" bit short on the coolant, you probably would be fine topping off the tank with de-ionized water (distilled water) - a pint or so will not dilute the antifreeze that much, and I doubt that you are going to get a real hard freeze down there in Georgia. Putting distilled water in the cooling system is not going to do any harm - when you take your bike on the track they make you replace the anti-freeze with distilled water anyway. If you get concerned about the "anti-freeze" properties of the coolant, you can always use a hydrometer (buy them for $5 at any auto parts store) to check your resulting concentration.

You probably don't need to drain the system - but if you've been running with the overflow bottle empty, you might want to think about bleeding air out. I believe there is a procedure in the manual for this. Its a little time consuming - you have to start and run the bike a number of times, using the bleed screw to release any trapped air.

From what I have been told, it is more a factor of time rather than miles that determines when coolant should be replaced. One of my H-D contacts recommended replacing the coolant (and the brake fluid) every two years.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The only real concern with mixing the coolant is that it must be motorcycle specific. motorcycle anti-freeze does not contain any abrasive silicates. Othe than that caveat any good ethylene glycol mix will do.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks for the input....I went with the distilled water....as far as bleeding the system....Thanks I would not have thought to do that just because the overflow/reserve bottle was empty. You were correct and I did get some air out.

v/r Sherm

1 - 12 of 12 Posts