Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Watch out guys, this could be the tip of an Iceberg:

Months ago, my VRSCB' 04' started to drop some coolant from the shrink clamp, and I just add an extra metal clamp, keep riding no problem, but days ago It collapse and started to leak more and more...
The pipe was horrible from the inside out (look for minimal dents on the pipe)
Surprise! Micro cracks from the inside!
(I drain coolant every 3-4 years, because we have no winter here, and use quality specs coolant)
But please, everybody... Check the entire system, because corrosion could be damaging your bikes
Attach photos, and new parts pics
Does anybody knows why happened this to me?

Now I'm doing halfway the job, do you have some advices heating shrink clamps?

Gabriel

Attachments

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
The heat shrink clamps are made by gates, and available at NAPA Auto parts. I use a heat gun to shrink the clamp. I suppose you could use a high wattage hair blow dryer as a possibility. My problem was the p clamp wore though my tube. I threw the p clamp away and let the hoses absorb the vibration. No problems since.

Reactions: germanparedes

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Was that clamp in contact with the aluminum tube? That will set up corrosion between the two from moisture. The clamp should be on the big part of the shrink fit. Over tightening will also cave in the thin wall tubing. There should be no internal corrosion with the correct antifreeze. What coolant are you using?
Ron

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was that clamp in contact with the aluminum tube? That will set up corrosion between the two from moisture. The clamp should be on the big part of the shrink fit. Over tightening will also cave in the thin wall tubing. There should be no internal corrosion with the correct antifreeze. What coolant are you using?
Ron
Hello there, I was using ACDELCO, because there is no HD antifreeze here in Venezuela :(
Finding HD original parts is very hard nowadays for us:(

·
VRSC est -03
3,094 Posts
Watch out guys, this could be the tip of an Iceberg:

Months ago, my VRSCB' 04' started to drop some coolant from the shrink clamp, and I just add an extra metal clamp, keep riding no problem, but days ago It collapse and started to leak more and more...
The pipe was horrible from the inside out (look for minimal dents on the pipe)
Surprise! Micro cracks from the inside!
(I drain coolant every 3-4 years, because we have no winter here, and use quality specs coolant)
But please, everybody... Check the entire system, because corrosion could be damaging your bikes
Attach photos, and new parts pics
Does anybody knows why happened this to me?

Now I'm doing halfway the job, do you have some advices heating shrink clamps?

Gabriel
Thats nasty! I would pull the water pump and flush the system. Radiator too.

You use antifreeze for aluminum motor? Is color red to us. Mixing ratio 40/60 antifreeze / water. Provides best cooling.

·
Registered
826 Posts
If I remember correctly u need to replace coolant every two years according to Harley. There is probably a good reason they recommend this. Although antifreeze companies say u can go longer. I say flush and change it sooner. Since we dont know what the water type is. U have o- rings and cylinder sleeves and correct coolant mixtures are crucial. The wrong mixtures can cause issues with aluminum. Pitting etc. You really cant go wrong with a 50/50 mix IMO.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
50/50 is generally best compromise for cooling and corrosion protection. The more water and it must be distilled or deionized water, the less life time the coolant will have regarding corrosion protection but cooling will improve. Coolant must be aluminum compatible as well. Sure looks like what brand or mixture is the root cause of all this corrosion in there. 8 years on mine and still squeaky clean in there but I flush it every 2 years. I'm suspecting the whole engine has a good dose of corrosion in there, not just the pipes.
Ron

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Good read(y)if he just replace the coolant more often he might lessen the possibility of corrosion build up.
Yes I read that. Problem is, the coolant manufacturers use either distilled or deionized water for their 50/50 mixes. The antifreeze part with additives seems to remove all the gloom and doom or pitfalls of either distilled or deionized water on it's own. Trying to get that picture of an electron trying to chew pieces out of my rad. None the less it's interesting on what happens to water with either method. Electrons and Ions are shit that just complicate my life. :ROFLMAO:
Ron

1 - 10 of 10 Posts