Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
20 Eyes in my Head
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, :kaz:

I got my first ever problem...although it may be minor at that, I still seek some real world input from the trenches of everyday riders first...then I'll go for the dealer's Sci-Fi explanation. :rofl2:

First issue. I got home from my 40 mile ride from work to home this morning (I work midnights) and noticed just a hairline smidgen of pink coolant running down the upper front right frame rail. I also noticed minimal splattering on the coolant hose where the wind scattered it. I haven't dug into it really yet, but I am seeking to know if anyone else had this issue and pretty much trying to see if this is common and where a good starting point to look would be. I inspected the hoses and cannot see anywhere this stuff is coming out. The overflow cap is on good and tight as is the metal cap, which has no leaking in the area. Also, will the coolant harm the paint/powdercoating on the frame?

Second possible issue. It has been a while since I have heard my fan come on. I think, if there is a problem, the first place to lookwould be to test the relay for it. Is this possible to do? Any other thoughts and input on this issue?

Thanks everyone! :thumb:

Gary

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had a small coolant leak with one of the hoses. I tightened down all the clamps and no leaks since. As for the fan issue, I've got an analog temp oil dipstick and only noticed the fan kicking on when it hit about 220*. Since then I've switched to synthetic, I haven't had it that hot yet. But the gentle midwest summer is approaching. :yak:

·
20 Eyes in my Head
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Walz!

Yeah, yesterday was the first warm day and evening of the year. It hit about 72 and about 60 this morning. I have just under 700 miles so far, but the fan was coming on and off on the first day I got it with 1 mile on the odometer on my way home from the dealer in 55 F weather. Since then, the temps I rode all my miles in have been from 35 F to 60 F. I been searching the old threads and I think it was VrodG that had the similar problem and he solved it by tightening the clamps. Like I said, it was just a very small amount and the coolant levels are still full. It is more of a "weeping" than a leak and it was after 40 miles of riding in near 60 F temps so I think whatever it is happens at full temp. Still though, the fan issue has me thinking. I am gonna ride in to work tonight and will check it again when I get there and when I return home. It's 80 F today! YEEEEEEE-HAaa!

Thanks for the quick response!
Gary

·
Registered
3 Posts
At 5k my vrod started weeping coolant at the weep hole below waterpump. It took 3 weeks at the dealer to get it fixed. I rode it to Daytona and noticed alot of vrods with the same little crusty spot on the right engine case under the waterpump weep hole. Its been 2k miles so far and the leak has not returned yet.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've noticed that some of the clamps on the hose fittings are not completley tight. Of course they are tightend to factory specs. In my opinion, the expansion and contraction from the heating and cooling on a new bike may make those fittings less snug. Tighten what you can, but don't over tighten. Make a list of your concerns and share them with the dealership at the 1K, if the problems still exist. I've had much success with the dealership in getting these small items addressed in this manner.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have 4900 miles on the bike and had a slight leak from a loose hose clamp when I first got the bike. No problem after that until the other day I noticed a drip down the right side of the bike. After further checking, the top of the overflow bottle was wet and I could see the fluid running down from there and onto the frame. It seems fluid sometimes leaks from the cap of the overflow bottle when is sloshes around.. I plan on sealing this area better and will check it again. ( may use some teflon tape). I took the cap off to top off the coolant and the problem started about a month later.

·
Chief
1,272 Posts
I had the same problem with the coolant leak on the right side frame and engine case below the water pump. Check with your HD dealer, they have found many overflow resevoir bottles have cracks in them. They replaced mine and that solved the problem.

·
Making the UK Fatter
2,606 Posts
Same thing, I traced it to the expansion tank cap not sealing very well, it looks kind of warped. I'm leaving it untill I have the 1st service done

·
Registered
148 Posts
put some teflon wrap and a layer of electrical tape over the teflon around the neck of the bottle and cap. It is sealed now. Went 100 Hard miles. No leak. No coolant smell. you would think they would have put a gasket on the underside of the cap to ensure a good seal. I plan on calling at some point to see if I can get a replacement cap. Can You say recall this seems to be a problem for many of us.

·
Registered
8 Posts
coolant leak

I have experienced the same problem on my 03.
The coolant leaks from the cap of the expansion bottle running under the battery to the bottom left hand corner and down frame leg.
I fitted a thin rubber gasket to the cap - problem solved. :

·
Making the UK Fatter
2,606 Posts
brooker said:
I have experienced the same problem on my 03.
The coolant leaks from the cap of the expansion bottle running under the battery to the bottom left hand corner and down frame leg.
I fitted a thin rubber gasket to the cap - problem solved. :
Same here, a real thin rubber washer in expansion cap. I had a new tank & bottle fitted & still leaked a bit now and then. Fitted washer - no more leaks.

·
I see dead people
253 Posts
shrink tape

On my '03 vrod, they've used shrink tape to clamp two hoses of dissimilar sizes. It's been oozing, even though the dealer supposedly fixed it. Any thoughts?

·
Ted
1,631 Posts
Gary,

Coolant leak...after 42,000 miles, my '03 started doing the same. At first it was just a few drops on the upper right frame but very noticable on the bottom right frame. I took the clam shell off and noticed a couple drops on the coolant bottle also. I reseated and tightend everything I could find related to the cooling system. Last night after a 25 mile ride, I noticed more coolant on the frame than usual. Took the clam shell off and low an behold, that damn cap where the rubber hose comes into it, broke off. I'm headed to harley this morning to pick up the new and improved coolant bottle.

·
20 Eyes in my Head
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
blunt_force said:
On my '03 vrod, they've used shrink tape to clamp two hoses of dissimilar sizes. It's been oozing, even though the dealer supposedly fixed it. Any thoughts?
blunt_force,

If it's under warranty, they should have replaced the bottle altogether. I have an 03 and thats what they did. They said it was common on 03's.

....wow! I put up this thread 2 yrs ago!

·
20 Eyes in my Head
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes. The new bottle solved the problem 100%.

·
I see dead people
253 Posts
leakage

I bought an extended warranty. Seems the hoses and clamps aren't covered under it. Cost me a bill and a half to get it repaired. They actually put silicone under the shrink tape before they heated it, on a bike that uses silicone free coolant. Didn't make sense to me. Had it a week when they originally "repaired" it, 200 miles later took it back, they had it for ten days, said they couldn't find a leak, ten miles from their shop, stopped and felt the tape, pulled a red sticky finger out. Now they can't get it back in the shop til the 26th, and I'm rather irked. Did a search, found this thread, thought I'd see if anyone knew of a clamp that would replace the shrink tape.

·
20 Eyes in my Head
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
blunt_force said:
I bought an extended warranty. Seems the hoses and clamps aren't covered under it. Cost me a bill and a half to get it repaired. They actually put silicone under the shrink tape before they heated it, on a bike that uses silicone free coolant. Didn't make sense to me. Had it a week when they originally "repaired" it, 200 miles later took it back, they had it for ten days, said they couldn't find a leak, ten miles from their shop, stopped and felt the tape, pulled a red sticky finger out. Now they can't get it back in the shop til the 26th, and I'm rather irked. Did a search, found this thread, thought I'd see if anyone knew of a clamp that would replace the shrink tape.
Your dealer is "V-Rod Ignorant". Sorry to say that, but it is not the hose or the clamp...it is the little nipple on the bottle cap. They don't sell them separate, just with the bottle and that bottle should be covered under warranty as it was with my dealer. I would call and complain to the MoCo and raise a whole lotta hell with them bastards! $150 on a freaking water bottle....and they wonder why some go to Honda or Yamaha or....

That type of service just about put my butt on a Victory Vegas.

Gary

·
Ted
1,631 Posts
I replaced the bottle yesterday with the new one ($51.00). Easy job and no leaks now. The only problem I had was taking the old one out with coolant still in it. Spilled some so I decided to siphon it out. The coolant tastes like crap (yuck).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts