Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, im new here! Sorry if my english is bad, im from Sweden.
Im helping a friend whit his bike, its at Night Rod 2007. The problem started whit a real engine failure. Engine got stocked, and it turneds out that all valves in rear cylinder was bend after they smashed in to the piston. We dont really know why? We have changed cylinder head and started it up this weekend. Engin runs and sound good. But problems was found when we checked the oil. Coolant in oil...

Can it be the water pump, have anybody have similar problem? Somebody know something that could help us?

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Hello, im new here! Sorry if my english is bad, im from Sweden.
Im helping a friend whit his bike, its at Night Rod 2007. The problem started whit a real engine failure. Engine got stocked, and it turneds out that all valves in rear cylinder was bend after they smashed in to the piston. We dont really know why? We have changed cylinder head and started it up this weekend. Engin runs and sound good. But problems was found when we checked the oil. Coolant in oil...

Can it be the water pump, have anybody have similar problem? Somebody know something that could help us?
Did you change the oil when you changed the cyl head? If not it's possible water went into the oil when you lifted the head. If it was changed then could be either water pump seal or head gasket problem. Was the cyl head known to be good and not cracked? Might help to know a bit of history prior to the valves bending, had any work been done? Something must have caused this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes we changed oil. And we filled up with cheap oil first, just to flush out some coolant and dust.
The cylinder head was knowed as good, the seller write... head gasket is new.
Yes, something must have caused the failure. one theory is that it was damp where the motorcycle was stored, and the valves was rusty. But it doesn't feel very likely. We know that the valves did not closed fast enoght, the piston was faster... and the reason must be rust or coolant as lubrication on the valves. We replaced the cylinderhead, so the problem should be gone. but it isent.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Yes we changed oil. And we filled up with cheap oil first, just to flush out some coolant and dust.
The cylinder head was knowed as good, the seller write... head gasket is new.
Yes, something must have caused the failure. one theory is that it was damp where the motorcycle was stored, and the valves was rusty. But it doesn't feel very likely. We know that the valves did not closed fast enoght, the piston was faster... and the reason must be rust or coolant as lubrication on the valves. We replaced the cylinderhead, so the problem should be gone. but it isent.
Other than water pump seal and cyl head gasket the only other place I can think of for water to get in the crankcase would be either passing the piston liner seals or a cracked liner. You need to start with the simplest and cheapest first which would be the water pump. This is quick and easy to remove. You will need to check both the pump seal and the O rings where it pushes into the cases. I am not convinced your theory about the valves stands up, seems more like the valve timing was out for some reason. Had any work been done to it just before this happened? Had anybody tried to turn the engine by hand and turned it the wrong way? Did this valve failure happen on first starting after the bike was stood or did it run before this? Sorry for so many questions but I am trying to build a picture of what is happening.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No work hade be done on the engine before, no one hade tried to turn the engine wrong way. This was first start after winter stored. The owner say that during the winter he has started the engine a few times.The engine just fired on when it get stucked.

Maybe we have coolant left in oil-cooler? But its doesent explaine why it was water in engine at the begining?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
No work hade be done on the engine before, no one hade tried to turn the engine wrong way. This was first start after winter stored. The owner say that during the winter he has started the engine a few times.The engine just fired on when it get stucked.

Maybe we have coolant left in oil-cooler? But its doesent explaine why it was water in engine at the begining?

Thanks!
Maybe worth draining the oil and then leave it for a while with no oil to see if the water is entering just by gravitation or is entering due to the engine running. As far as dismantling is concerned as I said before, i think i would start with the pump. Are you talking about a volume of water draining out before the oil or just sufficient to emulsify the oil?

·
The Hawk
3,919 Posts
Almost sounds like the antifreeze may have been weak and it froze during the winter and cracked the water jacket in the block or one of the heads. You could get a radiator pressure tester and see if the cooling system will hold pressure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts