Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Steve
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, bikes out for paint and I've been tinkering around to include my KG install and Thermostat housing. Drained most of the coolant out of the bike. Refilled today and good news is there are no leaks. Bad news is that half of the KG looks green and half of it looks orange. Did I need to flush the system before adding the HD coolant? I thought it was all the same coolant? Am I trippin or is the stock coolant different? Whats the easiest way to flush the system if needed? Can I used regular water to flush and what's the quickest and easiest way? :banghead:

·
Registered
883 Posts
Orange

PHATVROD said:
Ok, bikes out for paint and I've been tinkering around to include my KG install and Thermostat housing. Drained most of the coolant out of the bike. Refilled today and good news is there are no leaks. Bad news is that half of the KG looks green and half of it looks orange. Did I need to flush the system before adding the HD coolant? I thought it was all the same coolant? Am I trippin or is the stock coolant different? Whats the easiest way to flush the system if needed? Can I used regular water to flush and what's the quickest and easiest way? :banghead:
The HD coolant I just bought is orange, the service manual has a good section on drain and refill. I just did mine, but did not flush. ps no special tool required to remove thermostat from housing use 2 flat screwdrivers.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
There is a 5mm plug to the front of the motor. You should pull that out too, in order to drain the cases. You could use distilled water to flush the system, but fill it promptly with antifreeze to keep the jackets from rusting.

RJ

·
"A" is the only way
3,349 Posts
check my gallery out for pictures of what happens when water is left in the motor for a period of time

·
Steve
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is the factory coolant different from the coolant you buy at the dealership?

No sense in me trying to flush the system if it's gonna turn out the same greenish orange color. Unfortunately the service manual doesn't tell you how to flush it. I know RJ said to used distilled but someone else said to backflush it with water and then just make sure you put coolant in right away. Is there a right answer? Has anybody else notice how much of a pain it is to drain this thing without making a mess? I think a normal plug would have been better than the split plug because as you turn it it shoots up in the air like a geizer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts