Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
MASTER VR TECH
1,777 Posts
O.K. Look guys. Here's the deal. This will occur in these three instances.
1. Improper removal of the cap. #1
2. Improper routing of the overflow hose. If it pinched under the lower air box,
The vibration of the motor will break it.
3. Age. i.e. Weather. How many Washer Jugs on cars have you seen cracked or leaking
This is a hot area of the bike. Then to cool down. The stress is too much.

I agree, it should be made of a different material. But this was a very common problem in the beginning. Most of us in the field had never worked with Liquid Cooled bikes. And the Fact. was still learning also. H-D calls it R&D. Research and Development. Techs call it Release and Develop. If this happens on the road, You need a pair or Needle Nose pliers. Remember that this only plays a part in Cooldown. Which most of you will never Exp. I've seen Cust. with 5k on their bike and nver knew this was a problem. Move the clamp back off the nipple that is broken, then reach in btween the hos and nipple, and pull the nipple out. Submerge the hose in the remaing coolant. Then secure it with anything. Tape, Shoestring,Zip-Tie. Something that will secure it in the remaining coolant. This is not an air tight bottle. It is vented to another hose in front of the bottle. Just as long as it makes contact with the coolant. To most of you, How many times do you check your coolant bottle on your car, truck or van. I forget all the time. Max could explain the working of a Radiator more than I can. All in all this is a unsitely problem, but nothing to worry about. Later SKI.

·
Pete K
192 Posts
You may want to clean the frame up very well when the coolant leaks. This "minor problem" has scarred the powercoated frame. Harley was kind enough to say that sux and promptly ordered me a can of touch up paint. They only made me pay list price. What a deal! :kaz:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Check this again!

Removed air box cover to install heated gloves harness, found top of bottle cracked, cap in pieces. Called the dealer and they say its a recall item and under warranty. PLEASE! If your warranty is about up, check this and see if you can get them to replace it with the new design.My warranty runs out in 6 weeks. Just a FYI!

·
S-Rod
467 Posts
Replaced mine when I returned from a trip out in TN. I used duct tape and the tubing to "quick fix it"!

·
Boat Cop
866 Posts
Mine broke last year also. It started leaking when I started the bike after it had been sitting for a month. It broke on it's own, and I suspected the heat cycles just took it's toll. I replaced the entire tank, etc just to make sure nothing else had problems. I got the new style of cap, so hopefully no more problems.

My friends 04 needed one within a couple month of delivery....

·
Registered
1 Posts
No need to replace. Really simple to fix. Check this link, even has pics.

Real Simple fix, I went to home Depot and bought a ¼ x ¼ x ¼ nylon hose barb Tee, (they didn’t have an elbow) the cost was $2.87CAD then I drilled out the centre of the cap from the inside, cut the original hose connector off the top with a sharp knife so that it was smooth and slid the bottom bard thru the hole.
I then took a glue gun and glued the Tee into place, both from inside and outside. I cut one side of the top of the tee to half it’s length and filled it with glue from the glue gun to block it. The plastic line that goes into the expansion tank was not flexible enough to fit over the tee, so I warmed it up with a heat gun and then pushed it over the barb.
All fixed in less than 15 minutes for a couple of bucks.

Attachments

21 - 31 of 31 Posts