Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had my 04 V-rod picked up to get the cap to the coolant expansion tank replaced because the plastic nipple had snapped off inside the hose. Mine makes 3 V-rods in the shop to get that same thing taken care of. The cap is on national backorder, and the problem has been so frequent, that they are stripping caps off the showroom floor models to fix ours. I'd be ready for a well-deserved recall on that part pretty soon.

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
benko said:
Just had my 04 V-rod picked up to get the cap to the coolant expansion tank replaced because the plastic nipple had snapped off inside the hose.
How did the plastic nipple get snapped off?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
vroddrew said:
How did the plastic nipple get snapped off?
A strong gust of wind, riding over a crack, hitting a bug, who knows. Apparently, it doesn't take much. Make sure you check it after anyone has done anything under the airbox cover. :banghead:

·
Pete K
192 Posts
Jeff said:
There is a new improved version of this piece. I have broken this one yet.
I have 1 in the package on stash. I may order a second . Sux to lose the bike as weather breaks. Lost my bike for 1 week while waiting for mine to come in. :banghead:

·
Wretched Excess.....
2,067 Posts
This happened on my 03. When I was doin the deal at the dealer, I took it for a test ride around the block. When I got back, noticed coolant underneath. The service guys robbed one off another bike and had me sign a warranty repair work order. My first warranty claim and I hadn't even left the dealer yet!! Had really hoped that wasn't a sign of things to come. As it turns out, it wasn't. I have had absolutely not other trouble. Knock on wood.......

·
Registered
19 Posts
RPHD sold a new 04 V-Rod and had the cap problem. Went to 2 other V-Rod's (to take their cap to fix the one sold) they showed the exact same problem. Definitely a manufacturing defect.

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
The supplier of the caps chose the wrong material.I have had mine replaced after I screamed lemon at the dealer.It was bad from day 1.I kept telling them what was wrong but they ignored what I said.That's why I use them for their free oil changes.I go to another for servicing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Plastic cap broke at 700 miles on my wife's 04 Vrod. Got a new one under warranty and decided to buy another for spare, guess what you have to buy the entire tank assembly at my dealer to get the cap, $ 24.00. I was gonna add coolant to my 03 VROD while I was replacing the 04 Cap and BINGO, I broke mine and had to use the
$ 24.00 spare cap. I'm keeping the broken piece for fabrication purposes, I think you could simply fabricate something to serve the same purpose. I'll let the forum know if I get something fabricated that will work. 03 B/S V, 04 G/S V.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Ordered two for my bike, one to replace the original, one as a spare, Went to replace and found out that it had already been replaced by the dealer before I picked up the bike. Must have broke during predeliver check.

·
Registered
37 Posts
After seeing residue on my engine this weekend I checked my Expansion tank cap today. It seems the cap won't stay on and someone allready knew this :spank: as the cap has a peice of tape around it. Is the hose to long pushing up on the cap or do I need to use better tape :laugh:, any ideas? Thanks Drue

·
Registered
15 Posts
Crappy Coolant Cap

I just ordered a couple extra caps from the link above. My second cap just broke and I didn't touch it. Is the caps I ordered new , or the same old thing? I don't want to loose riding time by having the bike in the shop (just starting to get great weather here, Chicago). Has there been a redesign of the tank and cap? :bash:

·
Will Work for Chrome
59 Posts
I broke mine off when removing the air box to fit a battery charger cable. I tried all the dealers here in Austin who told me that they would not be arriving at HD till June 4th.

I called HD who verified that, but faxed me a list of all the US dealers that show that part in stock, so I manged to get one from Motor City Harley in MI.

HD updates it's dealer stock system on a friday night, so there's no telling how current the list is, but if anyone is interested in a copy I'll scan it and send it on.

Kev

1 - 20 of 31 Posts