Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I have been thinking about changing the coolant but I have read some horror stories on here about the cheap plastic drain plug on the radiator shearing off and getting stuck in the radiator. So I am nervous about touching it. I know there is another coolant drain plug on the front cylinder. Does anyone know how much of the coolant would drain out if I only removed the cylinder drain plug? I know the total coolant capacity is about 2.5 quarts.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Hi guys,
I have been thinking about changing the coolant but I have read some horror stories on here about the cheap plastic drain plug on the radiator shearing off and getting stuck in the radiator. So I am nervous about touching it. I know there is another coolant drain plug on the front cylinder. Does anyone know how much of the coolant would drain out if I only removed the cylinder drain plug? I know the total coolant capacity is about 2.5 quarts.
I don't bother with the front cyl drain as it's next to nothing once the system drains from the bottom rad plug. Buy a new plastic plug or an aluminum or brass equivalent , just in case and then drain as usual. When I first removed mine on the first flush it was tight. I used a good set of pliers straight on to grab bot tabs at the same time and slowly unscrewed it. Since that I reduced the thread dia and it's not as tight now.
Ron

·
Premium Member
11,390 Posts
As long as you don't try to remove the plug completely you should have no problem.
Use a pair of flat headed pliers to unscrew the plug and once the coolant starts to flow stop unscrewing it and let if flow. The plug is designed to not be removed just loosened.
BTW Harley dealers will sell you one for a couple of dollars so it is not a big loss if you screw it up.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Mine came out really tight from the getgo. Nearly break the tab off tight. I took it all the way out and put silicone grease on the threads when I put it back in. Been into it a couple times since then with no problems. Worked as advertised.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts