Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have a 03 vrod I noticed my reservoir tank (I have the replacement tank) was low so topped it up when for a ride the next day and it was low again, opened the radiator cap and it was full to the brim, blew on the return hose to check it wasn't blocked, should the coolant be full to the cap and why isn't it pushing the coolant back into the reservoir tank

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
You need to check your system for leaks. It only pushes the coolant into that expansion bottle ( reservoir) as the engine gets hot and the coolant expands, then as it cools down it draws it back into the system. It is correct being full to the neck of the pressure cap. If you are continually losing the coolant from the expansion tank then you are losing coolant somewhere in the system.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
One possible is the rad cap is defective, not reaching its pressure rating. This will force more then normal coolant into the overflow and onto the ground. On cool down it will suck what remaining is in the bottle out. A couple of cycles of this, you will start getting air into the system and cooling issues. Look for the end of the overflow hose on the bottle, under right rad plastic cover. Is it wet after a ride? Only other way to loose coolant is a bad head gasket, cracked cylinder jacket or leaks elsewhere externally. Hose clamps etc, not tight. My bet is the rad cap. Start there.
Ron

·
Registered
VRSCAW 2010
52 Posts
bad smell(or at least abnormal) and white haze on the exhaust is a sign for blown head gasket or/and cracked cylinder jacket. Easy to spot at the exhaust.
My bet is the cap too...
Carefully check for the external leaks, the system capacity is only 2,2 litres so it won`t take long to dry out.

·
Premium Member
2003 V-Rod, CFR Headers, CFR Fueler, Oberon Slave, Chrome Forks, Chrome Sway, Chrome Calipers.
129 Posts
Hey guys I have a 03 vrod I noticed my reservoir tank (I have the replacement tank) was low so topped it up when for a ride the next day and it was low again, opened the radiator cap and it was full to the brim, blew on the return hose to check it wasn't blocked, should the coolant be full to the cap and why isn't it pushing the coolant back into the reservoir tank
on my 03 the bottom of the airbox has a compression fit(weight of the airbox providing compression) coolant hose that leaked when I got my bike. I had to ad a hose clamp

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
on my 03 the bottom of the airbox has a compression fit(weight of the airbox providing compression) coolant hose that leaked when I got my bike. I had to ad a hose clamp
That's a crankase breather hose not a coolant hose. There are no coolant hoses under the airbox other than the two steel ones from the radiator and filler cap.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
You talking the shrink fit clamp on the hose? Clamp will fix it but so would a heat gun. Likely wasn't shrunk enough when first installed.
Ron

·
The Hawk
3,923 Posts
The reservoir tank should not be full to the top, if I remember right, there is a fill line on it and that is the full level. If you are filling it to the top it will purge the excess out the overflow hose when it heats up while running.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2003 V-Rod, CFR Headers, CFR Fueler, Oberon Slave, Chrome Forks, Chrome Sway, Chrome Calipers.
129 Posts
That's a crankase breather hose not a coolant hose. There are no coolant hoses under the airbox other than the two steel ones from the radiator and filler cap.
OK cool now I won't have to stress on the shitty connection so much

·
Registered
51 Posts
One possible is the rad cap is defective, not reaching its pressure rating. This will force more then normal coolant into the overflow and onto the ground. On cool down it will suck what remaining is in the bottle out. A couple of cycles of this, you will start getting air into the system and cooling issues. Look for the end of the overflow hose on the bottle, under right rad plastic cover. Is it wet after a ride? Only other way to loose coolant is a bad head gasket, cracked cylinder jacket or leaks elsewhere externally. Hose clamps etc, not tight. My bet is the rad cap. Start there.
Ron
My friend will be checking this V-rod next week after we finish installing the brake pads, wheels and tires plus the alignment. The bike owner mentioned he suspects a coolant leak. We'll take a closer look.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts