Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I filled the coolant on my bike (07 vrscdx) to the cold line after letting it sit all night. but then when i ride around for a while and shut the bike off, its all flowing onto the ground from front left of radiator. and then when the bike is cold the coolant bottle is empty. after that it doesnt leak again but if i fill it back to proper level the next time i shut it off it all comes out again.

i took it to a dealer here in colorado, im on vacation for 2weeks. they looked at it and said that its ok and that it did it because of heat 99 degrees out. and then made me pay them for the labor to tell me that.

so today its colder out so i tried it again, riding the bike up thru the mountains, 70ish degree weather if that, it was cold. and the first stop it leaked it all out again.

any ideas? ill try checking this post tomorow

·
Darren
2,007 Posts
Does your bike have a temp light? I think it does, but not sure. If so, watch it, and make sure it is not coming on. If it is coming on, I think I know your problem.

·
Ducking for cover!
8,455 Posts
99° was their reason? They're on crack. I rode in traffic when it was 100°+ and my fans cycled like they were supposed to and that was it. There's a problem with your bike so I would take it to another dealer then seek means for getting your money back from the other.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Is the radiator full or have you checked that? Just filling the tanks and not checking the radiator can lead to problems because it can give you a false reading.

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
Did they check the pressure cap? A faulty pressure cap gasket or improperly installed pressure cap would allow coolant under pressure to flow to the overflow bottle, where it would very quickly overflow.The pressure cap is the point at which coolant is diverted from the main system to the reservoir, which makes it (IMHO) a pretty strong candidate for the cause of the problem you have described.

The other thing to look at would be the possibility of air in the system. If air bubbles are in the coolant they need to be bled out by using the air bleed plug under the airbox cover.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
vroddrew said:
Did they check the pressure cap? A faulty pressure cap gasket or improperly installed pressure cap would allow coolant under pressure to flow to the overflow bottle, where it would very quickly overflow.The pressure cap is the point at which coolant is diverted from the main system to the reservoir, which makes it (IMHO) a pretty strong candidate for the cause of the problem you have described.

The other thing to look at would be the possibility of air in the system. If air bubbles are in the coolant they need to be bled out by using the air bleed plug under the airbox cover.
i will have to see, i dunno what thunder mountain harley did to the bike to check it, because i got it back with the coolant bottle still empty

ive popped the radiator cap above the overflow off and saw coolant in there.

wheres the pressure cap? is that the the one above the overflow bottle?

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
The pressure cap is under the airbox cover - at the back, just before the front of the seat. It is a spring-loaded metal cap, just like the radiator cap you find under the hood of your car - but smaller.

And just like that radiator cap - don't even think of removing it until you are sure the engine is cold.

*** BASIC STUFF ***
The cooling system works, in part, by keeping the coolant under pressure. By pressurizing the system, the effective boiling point of the coolant is raised. You also need to understand that there should be no air bubbles in the coolant circulating through the engine and radiator.

Also - because the coolant, and the engine cavities where the coolant usually resides, expand and contract as they get hot and cold, they need some place to go. Hence the plastic reservoir under the right side cover.

As the engine coolant heats up, and pressure increases in the system - a properly working pressure cap will open up to allow *some* hot coolant to flow into the plastic reservoir. As the engine cools down it creates a vacuum, and the valve in the pressure cap should allow coolant to be drawn back into the system from the reservoir. In a properly working system the amount moving should be pretty small - probably about a quarter cup or so.

Here is where the pressure cap MAY be causing a problem: If the valve is not functioning properly, it may be allowing too much coolant to flow to the reservoir.

The pressure cap can be tested pretty easily with the right tool.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Im with the" air in system "guys. many auto cooling systems will exibit the same symptoms if the air is not purged out of the cooling system after, say, a coolant change or a cooling system repair. Curious how many miles on your bike? I agree that it is important to check the fans for proper op., also. Good luck!!

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
If there is air in the system, you need to get it out by filling the system from the top. The Pressure cap is one fill point, the other is hidden inside the airbox.

You need to remove the upper airbox with the snorkel, then remove the rubber plug to the right front corner. You'll see a hex head plug. I think it's a 6mm hex. Pull that off and top off the coolant there as well.

Then top off the coolant reseviour.

Good Luck.

RJ

·
I'm Bored
1,741 Posts
rjrivero said:
If there is air in the system, you need to get it out by filling the system from the top. The Pressure cap is one fill point, the other is hidden inside the airbox.

You need to remove the upper airbox with the snorkel, then remove the rubber plug to the right front corner. You'll see a hex head plug. I think it's a 6mm hex. Pull that off and top off the coolant there as well.

Then top off the coolant reseviour.

Good Luck.

RJ
The tip of a turkey baster fits perfectly in the air bleed that RJ is talking about. Fill the coolant bottle to the line with the engine cold and the radiator cap and bleed plug removed. Put your "turkey baster funnel" in the air bleed and slowly put coolant in there until you see it almost ready to run out of the fill where the radiator cap goes. Replace that cap. Now put coolant in the baster until it begins to back up in the baster about an inch or so. Now reach down and squeeze the large rubber radiator hose that runs along the upper frame rail near the front cylinder by the coolant tank. You'll probably get a "burp" and see the coolant go down in the baster/funnel. Repeat until it won't go down anymore and replace the plug. Now tighten EVERY hose clamp like your life depended on it. You may want to remove the radiator side covers to avoid scratching them and to have easier access to the clamps. Don't forget the water pump hose clamps and the thermostat hose clamps. Now take it for a ride. If you still have a problem, it could be probably one of three things: the bolt has backed out of the triple sprocket, stuck thermostat (unlikely), or a blown head gasket(also unlikely).

·
Registered
7 Posts
triple sprocket bolt

What and where is the triple sprocket? I've been reading about this possible problem. Anybody know if an '06 is suspect to this problem? BTW, my system is not overheating, I am just curious. Thanks!!:)

·
"A" is the only way
3,349 Posts
thelimoscene said:
What and where is the triple sprocket? I've been reading about this possible problem. Anybody know if an '06 is suspect to this problem? BTW, my system is not overheating, I am just curious. Thanks!!:)

I have asked max to make my orginal post a sticky if he can find it. I think I was the first to report a problem about the tripple sprocket screw, (I have a 02 though) Turk had some very good info in my thread.

I never noticed the fan kicking on all the time, my coolant level was good, only reason I found the screw backed out was because I was changing the topend out on it. But it was a good thing I found it, cuz turk told me stories about the whole thing going cabluey. I have some pictuers in my gallery of the bushings. The tripple sprocket is on the alt. side of the bike its for the timing chains.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i dropped the bike off at my local dealer today, the bike had bout 3500 miles when it first happened, now it has about 7600 miles or so. the dealer said he will try working it in, since they are full for a while. it also has a terrible front end wobble at 40mph

i callled thundermountain and they said they pressure checked everything and stuff. so i dunno

1 - 14 of 14 Posts