Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nipple cracked on my orginal coolant bottle. I ordered a 26731-05 from my local to me dealer (40 miles). Waited a week and it didn't show. Called up to the next closest place (130 miles) and made the mistake.....I asked for a coolant bottle for an 04. They had it in stock so I made the drive up today so I could ride sunday. Got to the parts counter and was expecting $27 bucks.....WRONG! $55 bucks. Of course after making that long of a drive I went ahead and bought it. They sold me the "kit" for the 04 and older bike which was $55 bucks. Bottle only was $27. I paid that much extra for a piece of rubber hose and two clamps. BUYER BEWARE!!

If you need a coolant bottle for your 04/older V and have time to order one and wait get part # 26731-05.....and then go to the parts store and buy the $2 hose and clamps.

The kit # is 26731-01A

I wasn't aware of this bottle in "kit" form until today. It's probably been discussed here before, but if not hope this helps.

·
caferacer
5,686 Posts
nipple

Nipple cracked on my orginal coolant bottle. I ordered a 26731-05 from my local to me dealer (40 miles). Waited a week and it didn't show. Called up to the next closest place (130 miles) and made the mistake.....I asked for a coolant bottle for an 04. They had it in stock so I made the drive up today so I could ride sunday. Got to the parts counter and was expecting $27 bucks.....WRONG! $55 bucks. Of course after making that long of a drive I went ahead and bought it. They sold me the "kit" for the 04 and older bike which was $55 bucks. Bottle only was $27. I paid that much extra for a piece of rubber hose and two clamps. BUYER BEWARE!!

If you need a coolant bottle for your 04/older V and have time to order one and wait get part # 26731-05.....and then go to the parts store and buy the $2 hose and clamps.

The kit # is 26731-01A

I wasn't aware of this bottle in "kit" form until today. It's probably been discussed here before, but if not hope this helps.
This is very good cost saving information. I searched this forum for nipple ,because mine cracked also.That did not sound right.
Anyway , thx for the tip.

·
enigmas
339 Posts
Here is an easy, cheap and reliable fix. You'll need an angle grinder and a sliting disc to cut off the remnants of the plastic tube or just hold it against the face of a grinder. The brass fitting is available from shops that specialize in hydraulics. The hose is held in place with a crimp clamp (same shop)

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Here is an easy, cheap and reliable fix. You'll need an angle grinder and a sliting disc to cut off the remnants of the plastic tube or just hold it against the face of a grinder. The brass fitting is available from shops that specialize in hydraulics. The hose is held in place with a crimp clamp (same shop)
I fixed my 03 lid similar to your way.I refuse to pay $55 for a plastic jug,or $600 for a plastic gas tank.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I did EXACTLY the same thing right after I bought my 04B. Marched down to the dealer, paid $50 some bucks for the "kit".

Ah the knowledge gained through stupidity.....

·
Premium Member
11,202 Posts
Early models were known to break that nipple. It was updated by using the "kit". I will deploy something like what Al did instead of forking out $55

·
enigmas
339 Posts
Glad to see that you guys are on the same train. Why pay outrageous prices for replacements when simple and permanent fixes are possible.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is great info. My problem is the nipple on the cap, coming from the radiator cap, has broken off. I thought I could just buy the cap, no way, Fort Smith wanted $47.00 for the whole bottle assembly. I'll try to order part # 26731-05.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts