Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 04B w/14k on it. I live just outside of Vegas. I am pretty sure it is orig. coolant from factory. I have "generally" run straight coolant in my vehicles. Any one have advise as to weather or not I should or should not run straight coolant. The weather here as I am sure you all know is pretty F"n hot to say the least. :soapbox: Would I be better doing 50/50 or straight is my ques.

Open to all sug. Thnx.
Joe

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Wow. Never heard of anyone running straight coolant. 50/50 is always the best for cooling and corrosion protection. Straight coolant wouldn't transfer heat as well as 50/50.

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thnx Wolf.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
i use 70 percent coolant because it raises the boiling point of the coolant.
I haven’t heard that the VRSC cooling system needs a higher boiling point fluid than a 50/50 mixture.

Raising the boiling point (and reducing the freezing point) by adding more coolant also reduces the mixtures cooling efficiency since the heat capacity and thermal conductivity of coolant fluids are less than water. I.e., the radiator won’t be able to remove the heat as well with the higher coolant mixture so the engine is likely to run hotter.

·
crashing sucks!
136 Posts
I haven’t heard that the VRSC cooling system needs a higher boiling point fluid than a 50/50 mixture.

Raising the boiling point (and reducing the freezing point) by adding more coolant also reduces the mixtures cooling efficiency since the heat capacity and thermal conductivity of coolant fluids are less than water. I.e., the radiator won’t be able to remove the heat as well with the higher coolant mixture so the engine is likely to run hotter.
i dont think the 70/30 mixture reduces the cooling efficiency by much.i have rode my vrod with both the 50/50 mixture and the 70/30 mixture in phoenix in rush hour traffic the bikes temp was about the same and the fan kicked on about the same.with both mixtures the bike temp did get way up there thats why i prefer the 70/30 mixture with the higher boiling point.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Coolant raises the boiling point (important), lowers the freezing point (important), but water by itself cools best. That's what dragsters use at the track if they use coolant at all. For road use a 50%/50% coolant to water is recommended to avoid overheating and freezing, lubrication of the cooling system, and anti-rust. Stick with 50/50, no more, no less....

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
TY for all advise.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
I believe the factory coolant is a "lifetime" coolant and never needs changed. PM Dr_Dave, I believe he's the one that made the discovery

1 - 11 of 11 Posts