Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone assist me with this?

I have a 2009 V-Rod (Night Rod Special) VRSCDX

I love the idea of these turning signals for visibility. My questions...

1) will they work on my '09 VRSCDX?

2) what would I need to do to make them work?

https://www.rogueriderindustries.com...s-custom-black

------------------------
Fits all Harley Davidsons with 2" OEM Bullet Style Turn Signal Housings and 1157 dual contact bases

SigZ LED Turn Signals are BCM compliant when installing on 11-later Softails, ’12-later Dynas, ’14-later Sportsters, and ’14-later Touring and Tri-Glide models.

Earlier models may require a Load Equalizer to prevent fast flash and error codes.

Thank you in advance for your help!

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I couldn't see the link but here is what I think:

You have amber signals now in the rear right? If you do, you have to get a run/turn/brake module from HD. There are other modules you can buy but then you are splicing wires.

They are LED so more than likely you need a load equalizer. The biketronics BT801v is plug and play but again you can get ones cheaper you have to splice in. Word of caution, people are going to tell you to just wire resistors in. This works but resistors heat up and with your lights now being running lights, I wouldn't do it.

-Keith

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know it has been a while, but I first wanted to thank you for your response.

Secondly, I did have another question I was hoping you could answer. The rear signals are amber and are only signals. While the front signals are always running (running lights) So it is my understanding that I have 1157 lights in the front (wired for dual filament bulbs, 3 wires) and the backs are just 1156 (wired for single filament bulbs, 2 wires)

If that is the case, how would that run/turn/brake module work? How would it take a light that can only be turned on or off and make it do all 3 options listed?

Thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
776 Posts
I know it has been a while, but I first wanted to thank you for your response.

Secondly, I did have another question I was hoping you could answer. The rear signals are amber and are only signals. While the front signals are always running (running lights) So it is my understanding that I have 1157 lights in the front (wired for dual filament bulbs, 3 wires) and the backs are just 1156 (wired for single filament bulbs, 2 wires)

If that is the case, how would that run/turn/brake module work? How would it take a light that can only be turned on or off and make it do all 3 options listed?

Thanks again for your help!

It changes voltage for the running lights.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I plan to install something like this (just picked a random site, not sure the exact ones I'm going to buy)

Outer ring is a running light, inside turn signal:
https://www.eaglelights.com/product...-turn-signals-for-harley-davidson-double-pack
https://www.jpcycles.com/product/13...eet-magic-dual-color-led-bullet-marker-lights

Like the other headlight LED thread(s) - a list of what people have tried & feedback would be nice. A lot of crap out there.
Yes, the Rouge Rider Industries version I chose does a similar thing, however, instead of an inner and outer ring, the entire thing changes color. More intense lighting it would seem.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm no expert but pretty sure they work with LEDs. They really are an amazing little device.
I am definitely not arguing with you, just trying to better understand. I was under the impression that LEDs are either on or off, you can't dim them with less power. In which case who would they change from Running light intensity to brake light intensity?

Thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
I have the running light turn signal module in mine with LED lights. Unlike the front signals which are dual element and flash from dim running lights to bright signal by turning on and off the second element the rear single element lights are normally on, then when you turn on your turn signal they turn off, then on etc. It works fine with LED's as they are either on or off.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have the running light turn signal module in mine with LED lights. Unlike the front signals which are dual element and flash from dim running lights to bright signal by turning on and off the second element the rear single element lights are normally on, then when you turn on your turn signal they turn off, then on etc. It works fine with LED's as they are either on or off.
I see, so with LEDs they are not brake, running and signals they are just running and signals. The signals do not intensify when braking.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
By the way I am running red LED bulbs in the factory light pods.. not completely new LED lights. Not sure what you were planning to use.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Since I want the rear signals to be running and brake lights I will be replacing the innards with 1157 3 wire sockets and putting RRI LED signals in them.

Thanks for the replies. Now I understand how the HD Run/Brake/Signal thing works :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.