Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
JT's 03 Custom V
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years ago I purchased reloc rear signal mounts from a guy (can't remember his name) who posted a pic of his VROD with these handlebars - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190435585633&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

unfortunately, they dont have the cable dimples for the stock controls. :(

Anyway, I emailed him about the bars and he gave me an overview of how he swapped from stock. A few years later, I finally get around to trying the swap and hit some road blocks-

1) my 03 speedo does not come with the screws
2) new cluster housing (from an 05 Vrod) is also missing screws
3) None of the dealers within a 200 mile radius carry the missing screws
4) the handlebars (ebay listing above) are missing the dimples required for the wiring..ARGHHH

Any recommendations or help would be appreciated!

I am between PA and NY.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
197 Posts
First off what model do you have? vrsca/b/d/dx/etc... I take it you have one of the models that come with the "b" type riser that accepts any 1" bar. If your THAT intent I would just mock up the hand controls and drill out an area long enough to allow the wires
to not be pinched. As for the missing screws I'd check out a local hardware store and try a few different ones until you get what you need or if you have another screw that fits it off of the riser take it in and get a matching one.

·
JT's 03 Custom V
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply - I have a VRSCA

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=8547911&l=3c74ff4656&id=567560230

I have the clamshell but I picked up the B type so I could use any 1" bar. Drilling the bar isnt recommended since it will comprise the integrity of the bar.

As far as the screws, I will probably have to come up with an adhoc solution.

thanks again, joe

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
These are the bars I have on my bike, they are wide so don't if they would fit you.

Check out my gallery for pics.

·
Isld Shite Disturber
1,040 Posts
point me to them and I will buy them! :)
Steve at VMOD has 2 different types for I think $49.00...one is a straight drag and the other is a 2" rise with a little pullback {this is the one I have and LOVE it!...also I have seen drags bars for $29 on certain sites and fleabay.

http://www.v-mod.com/shop/viewProductDetails.asp?CID=337,510&PID=2279

http://www.v-mod.com/shop/viewProductDetails.asp?CID=337,510&PID=2877

and btw why do you need dimpled? just drill the bars and run the wires internally.....looks way cleaner

·
Registered
197 Posts
There was only 1 model in 03.

Just buy a new set of bars with the dimples.i'll bet you can find a set of drag bars for $30.
My bad LOL Failed to pay the year model any attention but drilling the bars are common practice for internal wiring. The bars arent a safety mechanism like a seat belt :thumb: Just sounded like you were pretty set on those bars so was trying to throw out the most obvious solution.

·
JT's 03 Custom V
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
These are the bars I have on my bike, they are wide so don't if they would fit you.

Check out my gallery for pics.
Awesome bike! Nice mods! If I can't get the Z bar then I will go for more of a straight bar similar to yours.

Do you have any pics of the speedo and the bolts you used to attach the speedo to the type B housing?

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Search the internet.Get on your motorcycle and hit all the bike shops in town.Lots of companys are hungry and willing to sell at a decent price.It's a buyers market in this shitty economy no matter what the idiot in command says.
Here's the first company that came up on a drag bar search.http://www.chopper-kit-usa.com/parts_hb_drag.htm
I'm going to Millers today in Daytona.They have more exhaust pipes,bars and seats than anyone I've ever seen have in one building.I paid $111 for a spanking new Memphis Shades smoked windshield for my Heritage installed while I waited! I'd guess there are places like this in every town just waiting for people like us to drop in.Go out and find a place.

·
JT's 03 Custom V
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Search the internet.Get on your motorcycle and hit all the bike shops in town.Lots of companys are hungry and willing to sell at a decent price.It's a buyers market in this shitty economy no matter what the idiot in command says.
Here's the first company that came up on a drag bar search.http://www.chopper-kit-usa.com/parts_hb_drag.htm
I'm going to Millers today in Daytona.They have more exhaust pipes,bars and seats than anyone I've ever seen have in one building.I paid $111 for a spanking new Memphis Shades smoked windshield for my Heritage installed while I waited! I'd guess there are places like this in every town just waiting for people like us to drop in.Go out and find a place.
Appreciate it! Thanks for all the great suggestions of bars.

Now I just need to find the right bolts for my B riser- the local HD dealers are USELESS!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Appreciate it! Thanks for all the great suggestions of bars.

Now I just need to find the right bolts for my B riser- the local HD dealers are USELESS!
I'll measure my bolts for you when I get home, but I won't be home until Sat. or Sun. (in Istanbul)

You could either pop over to the VRSCB forums and ask if someone could measure the bolts you need, or...

Call Larry (ask for Larry in Parts) at Legend Harley Davidson in Silverdale (360-698-3700) and tell him you have an 05 vrscb and need the hex socket cap screw holding the clamshell together (or whichever bolts you're missing) he should be able to tell you either the part number or the actual size (for example 8 x 1.5 x 60mm Hex socket cap screw)

Let me know by Sat if you find the answer. }:)

Thanks,

-Gumbysbuff

·
JT's 03 Custom V
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll measure my bolts for you when I get home, but I won't be home until Sat. or Sun. (in Istanbul)

You could either pop over to the VRSCB forums and ask if someone could measure the bolts you need, or...

Call Larry (ask for Larry in Parts) at Legend Harley Davidson in Silverdale (360-698-3700) and tell him you have an 05 vrscb and need the hex socket cap screw holding the clamshell together (or whichever bolts you're missing) he should be able to tell you either the part number or the actual size (for example 8 x 1.5 x 60mm Hex socket cap screw)

Let me know by Sat if you find the answer. }:)

Thanks,

-Gumbysbuff

Thanks! I will give him a call and post on the VRSCB forum. I will let you know when I get the measurements.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts