Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has converted to chain instead of belt drive. I have 04 VRSCB Looking into chain drive conversions kits and like to know where to get one for my Scooter and if you had lots of trouble doing conversion

·
"Vrod King"
857 Posts
Been there & done that. I got front sprockets from Vreelands and used rear sprocket adapters from Trask. Both should have kits for the conversation.

·
Premium Member
1,614 Posts
Unless you're building BIG power on a WIDE tire why ? Expensive, noisy, dirty, chain is very long, grinds & abrades things, V rod swingarm isn't properly protected from that. You have to lube the chain, wipe it's A$$, replace it and the sprockets 4-6 times for the life of a belt & pulley's - it absorbs more power & reduces fuel mileage & range as well. Again unless you're building big power on a wide tire ( no room for a wide belt ) & racing it on a regular basis I see absolutely no advantage to the mod. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I love chain & sprockets I've got thousands of miles racing M/C's on them but here on a stockish '04 B Model ? Waste of time & money IMHO.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Unless you're building BIG power on a WIDE tire why ? Expensive, noisy, dirty, chain is very long, grinds & abrades things, V rod swingarm isn't properly protected from that. You have to lube the chain, wipe it's A$$, replace it and the sprockets 4-6 times for the life of a belt & pulley's - it absorbs more power & reduces fuel mileage & range as well. Again unless you're building big power on a wide tire ( no room for a wide belt ) & racing it on a regular basis I see absolutely no advantage to the mod. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I love chain & sprockets I've got thousands of miles racing M/C's on them but here on a stockish '04 B Model ? Waste of time & money IMHO.
But, SRR - you're missing the real point here... Chains are COOL! :)

Kevin

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
But, SRR - you're missing the real point here... Chains are COOL! :)

Kevin
Only cool when you first put them on. Then there's the grease and grime all over everything in the general area from then on if you actually ride the thing. Notice most use the tip of their boot to check for tension? Nobody likes black fingers. 😁
Ron

·
"Vrod King"
857 Posts
I kinda like the chain. Three of mine have chain drives. I like that I can change the ratios to my riding. Yeah, it can be a pain in the butt at times. I have had to go a make my own axle stops/adjusters to keep the axle from twisting on the cams under heavy loads and loosing the chain. Maybe I should just put in a heavier throttle return spring instead. :unsure:

·
Premium Member
1,614 Posts
" Maybe I should just put in a heavier throttle return spring instead. :unsure:" NO! Mike Never ! toss that 1/4 throttle in the dirt ! put on a 7/32 or a 3/16 turn ! All I can say beyond what's been said is sometimes when chains derail they ABSOLUTELY DESTROY things - like engine cases, rear sprocket cush drives and can lock the rear wheel or engine easily. Belts are a much more benign way of transferring power and to me on a non race bike I'll take the belt hands down each and every time. Now if your'e 160 Hp + on a wide tire and narrow belt ? We can talk - until then it's just really unnecessary - unless like kestrou said you think it's cool and you got the $ to throw at it - form over function but I just don't see it myself.

·
"Vrod King"
857 Posts
If you're still running an 1130 on the street, yeah, don't go with a chain. Spend the money on something else. Mine would fall into that category of race bike with the higher HP.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts