Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I seek only water...
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get some opinions on how to treat a dead/drained battery. Some say just heave it. Others say jump start with a 12v/4amp and switch to 12v/1.5amp for 24hrs. (I tried that but the motor just wouldn't turn over) Did I need to continue to charge the battery?
I just hate like hell to get it started and then get stuck in Timbuktu.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
I ran mine flat (left the key on for 24 hrs! - Doh!). The battery tender didn't even give me a red light (I thought - oh shoot) So I put it on the battery charger on low for an hour, then the battery tender gave me a red light (which means it is charging - thank god!). The next day (24 hrs later) I unplugged the tender (which was still giving me a red light) and when I reconnected it, the light went green.(woo hoo!) It started right up, and I went on a 4 hr ride. That was two weeks ago. It has run fine since.

I suspect, however, that my battery is no longer what it used to be.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
I have heard mixed ideas from the battery industry over the years about dead batterys. At 750ma the battery tender would take forever to charge a dead battery. To trickle charge is what gm used to say about there batteries but about 5 years ago they switched and said to charge them with atleast a 40amp charger. I have always had good luck using big chargers if the battery was any good.

Max

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Update: Yesterday, after a rained out Friday and Saturday, I went to ride the bike and voila - dead battery. I did not leave the key or security on, also didn't attach the tender (bummer). The red light did come on when I plugged in the tender. After a couple of hours, it still wouldn't start. Previously, I had left the key on three times (Duh!) , the first two times for a couple of hours, but the last time for 24 hours. So, I went to the dealer, bought a new battery ($85), and after a 45 min install, all is well.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Max said:
I have heard mixed ideas from the battery industry over the years about dead batterys. At 750ma the battery tender would take forever to charge a dead battery. To trickle charge is what gm used to say about there batteries but about 5 years ago they switched and said to charge them with atleast a 40amp charger. I have always had good luck using big chargers if the battery was any good.

Max
Might want to try the H-D Global Battery Charger (P/N 99863-01). It has the same battery tender features, but has a charger feature that's rated at 1.25Amp. It also came with clips for charging a battery away from the bike. This is what use, and has worked well for me. I think it lists for approx $70, but paid closer to $60 for it.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Daniii said:
Update: Yesterday, after a rained out Friday and Saturday, I went to ride the bike and voila - dead battery. I did not leave the key or security on, also didn't attach the tender (bummer). The red light did come on when I plugged in the tender. After a couple of hours, it still wouldn't start. Previously, I had left the key on three times (Duh!) , the first two times for a couple of hours, but the last time for 24 hours. So, I went to the dealer, bought a new battery ($85), and after a 45 min install, all is well.
Daniii, my battery is dead now. forgot to put the tender on Friday. went to start it up to move it back into the garage, only got clicking. Will see if the charger / tender can bring it back to life....

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
I have left the bike for a week (before the accidental discharges) with no prob. I gotta believe that a dead battery is probably in need of replacement. Good luck, though. You may be married to the tender till you get a new battery.

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
had to leave mine as long as 2 weeks without running her. no probs so far, but I dont recommend it

·
Autobanmod
9,896 Posts
for long term parking just pull the main fuse under the right hand side front cover
To my knowledge the v-rod battery is filled with a jelly like (Gel) substance and not with liquid acid. Maybe this effects recoverage abilities negative?

·
Get a Grip!
696 Posts
I would just take battery out and have it tested. My guess is you have a bad cell, since it sounds like it will not hold a charge long enough to even get the bike started.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts