1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently looking at a 2014 NRS for $12,500
Here's the link
https://stcloud.craigslist.org/mcd/d/2014-harley-davidson-rod/6580575827.html
Price seems decent, it is the perfect colors for me. and it's newer than 2012, which I really want.
Problem is it's at a non-harley dealer, one of those used car dealers where all of the auction cars end up going. I usually stay away from those type of dealers, just out of a lack of trust.

I can't tell if the bike was ever in a crash or not. Am I missing something on the bike? It already has the passenger backrest and luggage rack, and the 2 into 1 shorty exhaust I would want.

If I go look at it in person, what sort of things should I be looking at?

·
Registered
81 Posts
How about a guarantee it will pass inspection? or a 3 or 7 day return policy in writing with no fees. If it seems like a good price then go for it. Offer them 2 grand less, let them counteroffer. Ask if it comes with any additional original parts? How is the price based on comparables?

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
I am currently looking at a 2014 NRS for $12,500
Here's the link
https://stcloud.craigslist.org/mcd/d/2014-harley-davidson-rod/6580575827.html
Price seems decent, it is the perfect colors for me. and it's newer than 2012, which I really want.
Problem is it's at a non-harley dealer, one of those used car dealers where all of the auction cars end up going. I usually stay away from those type of dealers, just out of a lack of trust.

I can't tell if the bike was ever in a crash or not. Am I missing something on the bike? It already has the passenger backrest and luggage rack, and the 2 into 1 shorty exhaust I would want.

If I go look at it in person, what sort of things should I be looking at?
Flood damage for one. Look for any unusual corrosion. There should be none actually, anywhere.
Ron

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
The bike is pretty overpriced. It has no miles but should be cheaper than that. One thing that would concern me is that it has an aftermarked exhaust and the o2 sensors are capped off. Not sure if it has a tuner, was tuned or anything. I know there were some guys on facebook selling a 2012+ for much cheaper. Can't remember who it was though. I will put a post on the V-Rod Owners board for them to check here.

-Keith

·
Registered
357 Posts
The 12+ are mainly the same so I wouldn't be worried about finding something newer than 2012. Can't hurt to look at it. If that truly is the mileage that's really not that bad of a price. I would almost be worried with that low of mileage at a dealer like that though.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I bought a 2017 with 203 miles on it. The dealer I bought it from only sells low mile bikes, mostly HD and Indian. Go see it and check it out as others have said. Take it for a ride. It is a little high even with the miles so negotiate. Also look at the title so you can see if you would be the second owner. If not walk away. IMHO

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The bike is pretty overpriced. It has no miles but should be cheaper than that. One thing that would concern me is that it has an aftermarked exhaust and the o2 sensors are capped off. Not sure if it has a tuner, was tuned or anything.

-Keith
Yeah I saw the o2 sensors being capped off. I thought one of these bikes wouldn't run without O2 sensors unless it has a tuner.
Could be wrong though.

I would prefer a tuner that works with the O2 sensors, not just ignores them.

Not sure about the overpriced part. Seems pretty inline with over 2012+ Night Rod Specials I have been seeing since I started looking. But then again, I just started looking.

There is a 2007 available locally for $7000. But it is mugh higher mileage, and does not have the upside down forks, the slipper clutch, the 1250cc engine, the nice looking rear end, etc. Sticking to 2012+ and newer they seem to be more expensive.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The 12+ are mainly the same so I wouldn't be worried about finding something newer than 2012. Can't hurt to look at it. If that truly is the mileage that's really not that bad of a price. I would almost be worried with that low of mileage at a dealer like that though.
This part exactly is what's giving me pause.

It's about an hour drive away from me. Which isn't bad, but not something I can do on a lunch break at work. So it'll have to be on a Saturday.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Yeah I saw the o2 sensors being capped off. I thought one of these bikes wouldn't run without O2 sensors unless it has a tuner.
Could be wrong though.

I would prefer a tuner that works with the O2 sensors, not just ignores them.

Not sure about the overpriced part. Seems pretty inline with over 2012+ Night Rod Specials I have been seeing since I started looking. But then again, I just started looking.

There is a 2007 available locally for $7000. But it is mugh higher mileage, and does not have the upside down forks, the slipper clutch, the 1250cc engine, the nice looking rear end, etc. Sticking to 2012+ and newer they seem to be more expensive.
If the 12+ are anything like my 08 the factory O2 sensors are narrowband so it wouldn't hurt much of anything if they were capped off. I do agree though that it is odd that they'd be capped off to begin with. Mastertune recommended to me that even my stock narrowband O2's be plugged in while tuning.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just bought a 2014 NRS last month. A few thousand miles on it, but way more/better aftermarket parts than the one you linked. I paid 11 grand for mine, and there was a non ABS 2012 with lower miles 2 hours away from me listed at 10 grand. So you definitely need to offer quite a bit less than they're asking.

But if I were you, I'd run a VIN check through instaVIN before I spent time to go look at it. If it was ever in a crash or flood it would have a rebuilt title for sure.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just bought a 2014 NRS last month. A few thousand miles on it, but way more/better aftermarket parts than the one you linked. I paid 11 grand for mine, and there was a non ABS 2012 with lower miles 2 hours away from me listed at 10 grand. So you definitely need to offer quite a bit less than they're asking.

But if I were you, I'd run a VIN check through instaVIN before I spent time to go look at it. If it was ever in a crash or flood it would have a rebuilt title for sure.
instaVIN First I have heard of that one. there seems to be several sites offering services similar to Carfax with Cars, but I have no way to tell which ones are good.

Thanks for the recommendation

·
Registered
9 Posts
instaVIN First I have heard of that one. there seems to be several sites offering services similar to Carfax with Cars, but I have no way to tell which ones are good.

Thanks for the recommendation
Yeah I found the same thing. instaVIN seemed to have info on a couple bikes I was looking at that some other places didnt, and it's WAY cheaper than most, especially carfax. I think I got 3 vin checks for 19 bucks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I drove 1,500 ish miles round trip for my 13' night rod last weekend, the deals are out there if you are willing to expand your search parameters. I bought private party, not sure if you are only wanting to buy from a dealer or not though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts