Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello VRSC owners,

I am contemplating the purchase of a motorcylce, and the VROD is high on my list. For the sake of comparision, I will let you know that I am also interested in the victory hammer and the yamaha warrior. I do not have much of a riding background, and am looking for a bike to enjoy for short spirited rides and traveling distances no greater than 200 miles. This will be my first cruiser, and my second street bike, the first being a ZX14.

I am not very tall, standing a impressive 5'6, so I take it the R is out of the question due to the seat height. I guess my main issue would be reliability, and where the harley stands regarding repairs and maintenance.

I am buying used, so I would also like to know what to look for on these bikes with miles? I really like the looks of the A's with a 240+ rear tire, and whatever I buy will already be modded so that I don't have to take the big loss on mod money. Been there, done that with the ZX. :broke:

If this isn't the appropriate forum, my bad, I just put it here because of the level of activity.

Thanks

·
Chrome is king!!!
20,269 Posts
:vrodforu:

The vrod is one of the most reliable bikes on the market and definately the most reliable that Harley has ever built, so I wouldn't worry about that. At your height I would consider looking at a D with mid controls. It will probably be more comfortable to you.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Icannot say anything about the Hammer but 2 of my friends are interested in DX's now that they saw them in person. One owns a Warrior that He now HAtes after 2 years, the other was looking very seriously at the Warrior before settling on a Dx also. The Warrior my friend has I do not like, its lowered with Straight pipes, do not like the sound, do not like the ride. Get a 2002 Anodized and throw a fat ass tire kit on the back.

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
Go and sit on some see what fits you, good luck.

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. Search up at the top will answer a TON of your general questions......GOOD LUCK and hope you make the right decision and buy a VRod already.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Vrod-Mike said:
:vrodforu:

The vrod is one of the most reliable bikes on the market and definately the most reliable that Harley has ever built, so I wouldn't worry about that. At your height I would consider looking at a D with mid controls. It will probably be more comfortable to you.
Thanks for the Rec. I didn't even consider the whole forward controls on the A being a problem, but I couldn't ride a buds indian because of them.

Shed said:
Go and sit on some see what fits you, good luck.
I intend to do just that this Saturday.

Any good places to find a used custom V ROD on the web?

·
Registered
72 Posts
The Night rod with mid controls is great I have a cbr 600 and when I bought this the transition wasnt that bad. First week was odd but I got use to the bike fast. Very reliable and fast. Big plus is If you go to a bike night or rally its nice to be the bike that stands out and lets you be different

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Welcome to the forums. The right bike will choose you. Make sure you ride them all before dropping your dollars on one.

Best of luck.

RJ

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
rjrivero said:
Welcome to the forums. The right bike will choose you. Make sure you ride them all before dropping your dollars on one.

Best of luck.

RJ
They let you test ride them at the dealership? I need to get a license, but it is hard to do without a bike. Damnit, I knew I should have got my license when I had the ZX.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
DBlack1 said:
They let you test ride them at the dealership? I need to get a license, but it is hard to do without a bike. Damnit, I knew I should have got my license when I had the ZX.
Ummmm Yeah. A license would help get you a test ride. ;) Dealers understand more and more that no one will buy a bike without test riding it first. Victory dealers are really big on test riding. It seems the company philosophy is "put you in the saddle and see what you're missing."

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
It was between the Warrior and VROD for me and I am glad I went with the VROD. Hands down the best cruiser on the market. I love it and have no regrets.

·
Ms. Subtle
12,179 Posts
i am 5'7" and i have an A with forwards.. it wasnt a bad ride just stock .. i could still reach .. however .. i got a seat that pushed me up about an inch and it made a good difference..i dont like the feel of mids but being a sport bike rider you may prefer that.. i love my bike.. i was looking at victory's too when i was looking to buy.. i have no regrets getting this bike.. i LOVE it.. i have never had so much fun on a bike in my life ..

·
Pulling your strings
859 Posts
Find the bike you like and then you could always make it fit you. I'd suggest a D with mids, but an A/B/AW/DX with a reach seat would work just as well.

The VROD is an amaizing bike. I could go on for hours about it but the bottom line is - you need to ride it. Once you do, you'll understand why this website exists in the first place.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've got a ZX-10 and just bought a 03 V-Rod a couple of weeks ago
I love the V-Rod (already put more miles on it than the guy I got it off of did during the first 3 months he had it)
I don't think you'll have to worry about your height
that zx is a pretty tall bike and if you could handle it
the V-Rod should be no problem even with the forward controls
I'm only 5'8" and have short legs and I don't have any problems on mine
it did take some getting use to after riding that Ninja for so long
I would forget about the Warrior
Jap bikes have no resale value over the long haul
Where in Arkansas are you from?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
El Dorado.

My ZX was lowered through the forks and 2" in the rear. I could ride it at stock height just fine though, but stopping on inclines was not too much fun. I'm not really that concerned about resale as I am pretty certain the only things with wheels I will purchase new are my pick up trucks. These bikes also seem to take a huge hit in the used market.

I'm really hoping to find one already sporting the 240 in the rear and other tasteful mods.

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts
I recommend looking in the classified section on this forum. Every once in a while you'll catch a good deal on a used bike with mods. I'm 5'7" and have over 45000 on my A-model with forward controls. Worst case scenario you could put the reduced reach pegs and seat on the bike. Good luck and :vrodforu:

·
1130cc Mike
1,860 Posts
bproulxvrod said:
I recommend looking in the classified section on this forum. Every once in a while you'll catch a good deal on a used bike with mods. I'm 5'7" and have over 45000 on my A-model with forward controls. Worst case scenario you could put the reduced reach pegs and seat on the bike. Good luck and :vrodforu:

Just what he said.

·
Dark Knight
1,505 Posts
They are all great bikes. The Hammer is the only decent looking Victory. Everything else looks like they took some Japanese bodywork and slapped it on a cruiser. The Warrior is ok as well. The only problem is that its Air-Cooled. You'd probably be safer running a liquid cooled power cruiser.

And now for the biased opinion, the VROD is just all around better. :biker:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts