Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys
Now I have been using the search facility here and I know it's brilliant with all the available info etc, but there is so much on the subject I'm looking at I'm just getting more confused the more I read, so could someone point me in the right direction please.!!! :banghead:

Right first off I own a 2009 AW with a totally stock front end with the front laced wheel and the brembo set-up, also with ABS which I believe was also stock fitment from from 09 onwards, so far so good.!!!

Now I have just purchased a used Muscle front wheel which I intend to use to replace the stock laced wheel, just so much easier to clean, and of course I quite like the look of it.!!! :D
The Muscle wheel was advertised on ebay from a dealer as suitable for 2009/10 Muscle which is pretty obviously I suppose. Any how its come with bearings intact and is like new, I assume it must of had ABS originally because the bearing on one side is set further into the hub than the other???

My question is what will I need to fit this to my AW, I can see the rotors are not fitted the same way on my laced wheel, as they would be on the Muscle wheel so I suspect rotors will be required.???
Some sound advice would be very much appreciated.
Many thanks you in advance.!!! :)

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
direct bolt on replacement. I would have the bearings in the Muscle wheel replaced with new or at least with yours, as you have no way of knowing the miles and the condition of those things. I also believe that ABS bearings are different than the non ABS. You done good

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So are you saying that I don't require anything extra to do the mod???
Only looking at the way the rotor is fitted to the laced wheel isn't the same as the way it would be fitted to the Muscle wheel, do I simply leave the centre section out of the rotor and fit directly onto the Muscle wheel.???

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
direct bolt on replacement. I would have the bearings in the Muscle wheel replaced with new or at least with yours, as you have no way of knowing the miles and the condition of those things. I also believe that ABS bearings are different than the non ABS. You done good
You're right about the ABS vs. non ABS bearings. The right side bearing doesn't need to be changed (unless you don't trust its age) but the left side is different (ABS left bearing is HD part # 9252, non-ABS and ABS right bearing is part # 9276).

If you heat the wheel hub without heating the bearing you might be able to pull it without damage but the normal blind bearing puller applies a side load to the rollers and outer race that's likely to cause bearing damage. Because of this wheel bearings are normally not reused after removal.

If rotors weren't included he'll need the VRSCF rotors (44553-06A x 2) plus the screws (3762M x 10) and washers (6966M x10) also.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're right about the ABS vs. non ABS bearings. The right side bearing doesn't need to be changed (unless you don't trust its age) but the left side is different (ABS left bearing is HD part # 9252, non-ABS and ABS right bearing is part # 9276).

If you heat the wheel hub without heating the bearing you might be able to pull it without damage but the normal blind bearing puller applies a side load to the rollers and outer race that's likely to cause bearing damage. Because of this wheel bearings are normally not reused after removal.

If rotors weren't included he'll need the VRSCF rotors (44553-06A x 2) plus the screws (3762M x 10) and washers (6966M x10) also.
Ah now then, sorry I should have mentioned I bought the wheel minus the rotors, but the bearings are intact, and to be honest this wheel doesn't look like it done 50-miles, but I don't know that for sure.
So if I obtain the VRSCF rotors, screws washers etc, is that it and my ABS etc will all hook up and work o.k. ???

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,946 Posts
Direct bolt up the space between the front forks are the same on all these bikes.

I put the 09 F front wheel on my 03 I bought everything for the wheel except I had to buy the 03 rotors.

Older rotors are 280mm and the new ones are 300mm.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
Ah now then, sorry I should have mentioned I bought the wheel minus the rotors, but the bearings are intact, and to be honest this wheel doesn't look like it done 50-miles, but I don't know that for sure.
So if I obtain the VRSCF rotors, screws washers etc, is that it and my ABS etc will all hook up and work o.k. ???
The only other concern would be the left side bearing.

You mention that it appears to be an ABS bearing because it's set in further. If your ABS wheel speed sensor and left side spacer fit, then you're probably OK (the VRSCAW and VRSCF spacers are the same).

You'll know for sure when you ride the bike. If you don't throw a code all is good. If you get an ABS front speed sensor DTC (C1021, C1025, or C1206) then it could be the left bearing.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I imagine a pair of VRSCF rotors bolts washers etc aren't going to cheap from the stealers.???

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
I imagine a pair of VRSCF rotors bolts washers etc aren't going to cheap from the stealers.???
Don't know about UK prices but the US 20% discount rates are:
44553-06A rotors x 2: $160
3762M screws (shoulder bolts) x 10: $20
6966M spring washers x 10: $20

plus shipping of course

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I think it is odd that you have a bearing sitting in. You shouldn't have one sitting in since the axle spacers are the same with or without ABS. Yes, the ABS bearing is 3mm thicker, but with the ABS wheel installation kit there is a shim to use to fill this gap.

I picked up two wheel installation kits for the project, but didn't use them other than spacing checks. I'll check the garage to see if I have the bolts.

I have a set of rotors from an 06R that I'll PM you about. I think the flat rate international box would be the best shipping option. If there is extra room in the box, you could fill it with whatever other parts you need.

Flat rate priority mail boxes are great! I once loaded one with 35 pounds of soft dive weights.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have just been out to the garage and checked the wheel again, the bearing on one side is wider than the other side which sits perfectly flush with the wheel, whereas the other side with the narrower bearing is recessed into the wheel by approx some 4mm to 5mm.
And this wheel I have to say looks like it as probably been removed from a brand new bike which may never have turned a wheel so to speak, for what ever reason.!!!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I don't have a F model, so the only suggestion I have is to go to the dealer and take a good look at one on the floor to see if the bearings are mounted the same. If so, no worries. If not, check out the parts break-out while there to see if maybe a spacer is missing.

·
bcrichard
139 Posts
the rotors fitted to the AW wire wheels will not mount on the alloy wheels, you need to use the rotors from the alloy wheels

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Would I be correct in thinking the front rotors from a Night Rod Special would fit onto the muscle front wheel, the mounting looks the same.???
Also not sure whet diameter my stock rotors are, assume I will have to have the same diameter replacements on the Muscle front to suit my calipers.!!!

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
The Brembo brake system is the same on all the Brembo bikes, so I would think the rotors are interchangeable as far as the brake system is concerned. Now in regards to the 'F' wheel, I believe the F rotor is a faux floating rotor, but don't see any reason why the rotor off your AW can't be bolted on. Granted a floating rotor performs better and is less prone to warping due to heat, but a standard rotor should bolt on without issue. PM Sharkey at V-shop for pricing and brands. He's a member here and has shipped many a item across the pond.

·
bcrichard
139 Posts
The Brembo brake system is the same on all the Brembo bikes, so I would think the rotors are interchangeable as far as the brake system is concerned. Now in regards to the 'F' wheel, I believe the F rotor is a true floating rotor, but don't see any reason why the rotor off your AW can't be bolted on. Granted a floating rotor performs better and is less prone to warping due to heat, but a standard rotor should bolt on without issue. Many have taken 'F' front floating rotor(s) and installed on their non 'F' bikes. PM Sharkey at V-shop for pricing and brands. He's a member here and has shipped many a item across the pond.
" '08 VRSCAW Anniversary models equipped with laced front wheels also require additional purchase of (2) Front Brake Rotors P/N44553-06A." (from the 2010 parts and accessories catalogue)

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
I did not realize that the stock laced wheels came with full floating rotors:thumb:
Kernow: lots of rotor options on your side of the pond, no need to limit yourself to the HD heavyweights. Times like this I wish 1130cc.it was still up and running

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
O.K. guys many thanks for all your input, I'm beginning to see the light, I thought there was no-way my stock rotors off my laced up front wheel was going to fit my recently acquired Muscle front wheel, so some rotors are definitely going to be required and of the correct size, I believe someone mentioned 300mm diameter, they must of course sit correctly in my stock calipers, I will have a look around and see what I can come up with.!!!
This only leaves the query regarding the different size bearings, one being flush with the wheel and the other obviously recessed a little due to it being a narrower bearing, I am just assuming this is for the wheel speed sensor to sit in, when assembled on the bike, or am I wrong here.???

1 - 20 of 25 Posts