Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am moving on to another bike. I have felt it coming on for a while. I do love the R and think it is one of the best bikes HD built. No warranty issues. Change the oil and ride.
I will keep the R and give it to my son. He is just 16, in a month or so, 17. He has one year of experience riding, about 10k miles so far. Almost all of his riding has been with me and I think he is a good rider, he thinks about what is going on. He loves his bike, a Dyna FXD 2003. I will sell the Dyna and use the money for goodies on the FXDF I am getting.

My problem is the R is a lot of bike for someone so new to the bike world. I have been doing this for a lot of years and don't take it to 9 tenths. I like the power and handling together with the brakes and handling. It is now well balanced and rides great for long distances or over the next hill.

I worry that he will hurt himself or worse with this beautiful machine. I would rather sell the R than have him head on a tree.

So, am I just an old geez worrying too much or am I being a good parent by looking out for him and substituting my judgement? Should he get the R or stay on the Dyna? :banghead:

·
Thread Killer
4,567 Posts
Give him the opportunity to prove himself on the R. I am a father of 3 boys and would do just that.

·
Burn Baby Burn!!
700 Posts
Kids are kids. I did really stupid stuff in a car when I was 16-18 and I was lucky. You can hurt yourself on a scooter if you don' t be carefull. I believe that teaching him to ride SAFELY has been your best bet and hopefully he took it all in his hard headed teenage mellon. My uncle gave his 16 year old the reigns to his 929 CBR when he bought his Busa. You talk about trusting your kid. Man I would' ve been in a WORLD of hurt had my dad gave me a superbike at 16 years of age. Good luck! I think he can handle it.

·
Registered
357 Posts
A lot depends on the kid. When I was 16 I had a Honda CB450, did lots of scary stupid things on it. Lucky to be alive. If you ask me today as a parent would I have let me get such a bike, I would have to say no.
If his personality is such that he won't go nuts on it when it's just him or his friends around, O.K.

Russell

·
I FINALLY GOT BOOST!
3,944 Posts
A little over a year ago my son got his first bike. He wanted a R6 but I found a FZR 600 (cheap) for him. He rode that for 6 months and then sold it and bought a CBR 600 F3. Now he just recently sold the F3 and bought a F4i. He has slowly worked his way up in power and down in wieght. I would have to say you are the one that has ridden with him (my son lives 700 miles away from me) so like Streetrodder says, let him prove himself to you. He might not even like the R. Who knows?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I have always told my kids that I trust you until you give me a reason not to. The only problem with that is on a bike that one time of screwing around could be all it takes. Use your judgement. You have rode with him, you also know what kind of kid he is. Is he ready, or should you walk it up.

·
In the Shark Tank!!!
1,633 Posts
Funny thing about people, you WILL screw up sooner or later..... If you tought him well you have to let him prove it to you. I get on my wife and tell her the reason we teach our kids things is not to keep it from them, it is to let them grow and show us they can handle it!

Work with him, it sounds like your concern is just you being a concerned parent....

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, Willie will be happy. He loves the R and has ridden it around town a little and on a couple of short trips. I appreciate you replies, just getting a little grounding here.
Thanks.
Dad.:moped:

·
Registered
494 Posts
HawkStang said:
I am moving on to another bike. I have felt it coming on for a while. I do love the R and think it is one of the best bikes HD built. No warranty issues. Change the oil and ride.
I will keep the R and give it to my son.

I worry that he will hurt himself or worse with this beautiful machine. I would rather sell the R than have him head on a tree.

So, am I just an old geez worrying too much or am I being a good parent by looking out for him and substituting my judgement? Should he get the R or stay on the Dyna? :banghead:
OK . . . only you and he know whether or not he is likely to do something careless on the bike. Does he have skills? When I was 16 I had skills, did some pretty agressive things in my dad's cars and I'm still here . . . (and MUCH more conservative, but I still like to crank up the volume). So, if you think he is responsible, wow, what a gift!

Now, what bike are you moving into?

·
Ryan
4,192 Posts
Good question. I'm not sure what I would do. The problem is that it doesn't really matter how careful or responsible your son is. It's the other drivers on the road he has to worry about. If it were me and something were to happen to my son the guilt would be unbearable to me. Of course, our kids can be injured doing anything so perhaps I'm just over protective.

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
God bless ya on having a 16 year old son capable of riding an R. I let my son (he's 15) ride my wife's BUELL Blast in the my FD parking lot a few weeks ago, before we sold it:sinister: ... He threw it on the ground for no reason. There was no damage, but he almost broke his leg as the Blast landed on it trying to bend his knee the other way. I don't even know how he did it, He never had the bike over 20 mph. I just stood there watching in amazement. I never knew someone could collapse a bike the way he did. Guess what. He'll never ride a motorcycle on the street, well, not one that I pay for anyway. BTW he's ridden on dirt before and is pretty good at that freestyle stuff on his bicycle. Go figure! Enough of my BS... Hope you and your boy enjoy riding together!

·
Another Ski season
2,631 Posts
Close to my heart as well. If he rides well and responsiblly on the Dyna, chances are good he will do the same on the R. We all push the envelope and the younger we are the more we push with less knowledge and experiance. That being said, is he more likely to get hurt on the R than on the Dyna? ..... Probably not. My 17 year old wants a street bike bad, we have been riding in the dirt together for years, I'd love to ride on the street with him, but the thought of him getting whacked by some idiot scares the hell out of me.

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
HawkStang said:

:spank: :spank: :spank:

What is wrong with you?!?!?! Any parent that values a machine over his/her own child is not being a good parent........

·
Dr. Laser Guy
997 Posts
myvrodrocks said:

What is wrong with you?!?!?! Any parent that values a machine over his/her own child is not being a good parent........
Uhh, read it more carefully. He said that he worries that he will hurt himself WITH this beautiful machine; not hurt the machine.

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
myvrodrocks said:

I really don't think he ment it that way.... If he did, then:spank: :spank: :spank: :spank: :spank::D

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
cbdane said:
Uhh, read it more carefully. He said that he worries that he will hurt himself WITH this beautiful machine; not hurt the machine.

uhhh....

Well I hope you are right.

I think it's great that a dad would even consider giving his son such a gift....but I have to say, I know teenagers as I was just one and no matter how well you teach them, they still have to prove something. When he gets out alone and some streetbike challenges him, he will want to do something about it...

Keep it all on a short leash...good luck and when you want to adopt, I am ready!

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
myvrodrocks said:
uhhh....

Well I hope you are right.

I think it's great that a dad would even consider giving his son such a gift....but I have to say, I know teenagers as I was just one and no matter how well you teach them, they still have to prove something. When he gets out alone and some streetbike challenges him, he will want to do something about it...

Keep it all on a short leash...good luck and when you want to adopt, I am ready!
:rofl2:

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
I have 2 boys and a girl. My daughter dropped my bike with me on the back! No injuries, but 1K in damage. My middle son tried to drive thru the neighbors living room, and the damage was minimal. I never had my oldest on my bike; but he bought a lowrider, and babies it. No accidents, no problems. Some of the respect given to a bike has to do with the sacrifice made to get it. I think if they want to ride, ride, but let them get their own. If you sold him your "R", I bet the caution level would go right to the safe zone! JMHO, Joe

·
Dark Knight
1,505 Posts
I think the R would be a great bike to have at that age. If he's as responsible as he sounds, then he will appreciate the vehicle for what it is. Also, its not like the crotch rockets that every has now a days.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
cbdane said:
That is exactly right and thanks. I would rather set fire to the R and watch it burn than have my son hurt. That is the point of the post anyway, is it dangerous or am I just getting old and worrying too much.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts