Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had my rear pulley powder coated, but it never occurred to me to tell him not to powder coat the area where the belt goes. When I had the tire mounted the guy told me it would be a good idea if I stripped the powder coat from that area, what do you guys think? 20191119_200546_1574299716387.jpg 20191119_200525_1574299727954.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,525 Posts
Depends how thick a coating it is I would think. If its fairly thin and the belt sits down in there properly I would hope not a problem. I do know they apply a hard coating to the aluminum racing fwd pulleys to retard wear from the belt ( anodized ? ) and it ain't cheap so maybe your's will be OK. If the belts too tight in the width of the pulley I can imagine it might squeak but soap or belt conditioner might stop that. Ride it and watch it closely. Best of luck !

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Depends how thick a coating it is I would think. If its fairly thin and the belt sits down in there properly I would hope not a problem. I do know they apply a hard coating to the aluminum racing fwd pulleys to retard wear from the belt ( anodized ? ) and it ain't cheap so maybe your's will be OK. If the belts too tight in the width of the pulley I can imagine it might squeak but soap or belt conditioner might stop that. Ride it and watch it closely. Best of luck !
Thank you, I put it all together and it seems fine but won't no for sure till I ride it in a few weeks.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Thank you, I put it all together and it seems fine but won't no for sure till I ride it in a few weeks.
As mentioned depends how thick. There will be a bit of a pitch change which might chew the belt a bit or be noisy but all you can do is try it and keep an eye on it and snug the belt as it wears the coating back to the chrome, which is what they use to prevent wear on the aluminum cog section.
Ron

1 - 5 of 5 Posts