Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Max:

What type gas your running, how warm it is, if your hitting a grade and, how much throttle your using, all these things play a factor in cruising speeds. The same thing applys to a naturally asperated engine. If your hitting a 20 mph head wind and pulling a 3 degree grade for 10 minutes then you probably want to cut the cruise speed down.

Could this apply even if you have good AFR, proper cooling system? Are the engines prone to hot spots?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
vrodsweeper said:
Max:

What type gas your running, how warm it is, if your hitting a grade and, how much throttle your using, all these things play a factor in cruising speeds. The same thing applys to a naturally asperated engine. If your hitting a 20 mph head wind and pulling a 3 degree grade for 10 minutes then you probably want to cut the cruise speed down.

Could this apply even if you have good AFR, proper cooling system? Are the engines prone to hot spots?
No more then any other engine. When you say good afr are you sure it's good enough to be in the 5 or so inchs of vacuum for about 10 to 15 minutes or more. I have even seen stock car engines come in with holes in pistons in years gone by from running wide open throttle for periods of time. I still remember a corsica that came in after a 20 minute police chase with all the brakes worn out, the rotors were so worn that two of them came apart. The engine had holes in the 2 and 3 pistons. The car had the back window shot out but the guys kept going until the car gave up. It's one thing to cruise at 100 mph or so it's all together a different story to take an engine and hold it full throttle for a while. They start to look like they had a blow torch turned on them pretty quick.

Keep in mind a stock bike is not a racing engine, far from it. They may be fast but they are not bullet proof. If you want bullet proof then don't go bb or turbo IMHO. Look at scott from hogwild racing. He runs a stock motor, you will find that for racing your much better off that way then you are a modified motor. Now if you plan to drag race then go what ever way you want but there is a big difference between blasting down a quarter mile and running 100 miles down the road at full throttle.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts