Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Bill
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was doing a search on these for an easy install since mine didn't come with instructions that was on Back order for 3 months!

Just looking for any shortcuts or words of wisdom before I rip the old one off.

Attachments

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
Bill, if you get me the p/n I can get the instruction sheet for you.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Doesn't that piece just fit over the stock cover?

·
Retired Devil Dog
148 Posts
It goes over the stock shroud, does not replace it. You will need to get the bike up in the air to put it on. Turn the front wheel to one side so you can lift the new shroud up as far as you can to engage the clip all the way, it is a tight fit and PITA to get engaged all the way. You will need to clamp the bottom to help get the 2 cap screws in that hold it on. I will take some pics to illustrate using the clamp for you, I fought with mine until I put the bike in the air and used a clamp. Make sure you get the 2 screws that come with it, mine was missing the screws and instructions, I learned a long time ago to check for hardware and instructions. The screws were in stock and they printed the instructions for me....DC

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
I did mine on the ground. It was a PITA.

As stated before, You do NOT take off the factory cover. Basicly you just screw it on over the factory cover.

Also , The catalog said it will not work with a voltage regulator cover. But as you can tell by the pics it will. I have had mine on since Xmas. Santa brought it to me.

In the second pic , It shows the back side of the new cover. Kinda gives you a ideal where the wholes are.

Attachments

·
On Good Ol' Nbr7
7,267 Posts
Smokedog,

How difficult is it to keep clean? My front wheel throws all kinds of crap on that surface already. Getting it out of the screen seems like a major PITA.

HoldHard

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
Here's the instruction sheet. Did you get the hardware with it? If not, you'll need 2ea M6 X 1.0 X 20 LG screws and 2ea M6 washers.

View attachment -J03936.pdf

·
Insane inda membrane
13,005 Posts
Glad you posted this. Mine didn't come with an instruction sheet or screws. I'm going to try the clamp idea, because I tried on 2 occasions to put the damn thing on, and it seemed basically impossible by myself.

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
HoldHard said:
Smokedog,

How difficult is it to keep clean? My front wheel throws all kinds of crap on that surface already. Getting it out of the screen seems like a major PITA.

HoldHard

Its not bad to keep clean or clean in general. I dont think I have ever had anything stuck in the holes.

The holes are oval . NOT the oblong holes that peaple are making for the side of the raditors . Also the the oval holes , The center plate is chrome. Not brushed or polished .

Some one needs to make some oval chrome covers for the side of the raditors.

·
Dreaming of Twisties
593 Posts
Smokedog said:
Oval Holes , Not Oblong .....
What's holding the screen on? Is that silicone? I'd like to pull that out and powder coat it, looks complicated...

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
I looked for the instructions. Couldnt seem to find them, Sorrry . Seems like it was very straight forward. Just one page.(I.E. Bolt one goes here, bolt 2 goes here ) I did have to loosen The voltage regulator chrome COVER to get it on . Just bolted straight on no removel of anything .

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
Speedy818 said:
What's holding the screen on? Is that silicone? I'd like to pull that out and powder coat it, looks complicated...
Yea , I think it is silicone. Seems like just enough to hold it on. Shouldnt be to hard to get it of and reinstall it after powder coating.

·
Retired Devil Dog
148 Posts
Here is the clamp positioned.

The grille is held on with resin, I am convinced it is responsible for the poor fit. I will be sanding the resin flush with the cover this winter, hopefully will get it to fit more flush.

All the gunk accumulates on the spoiler and is easy to clean........DC

I would look at carefully sanding the resin flush to remove the grille for powdercoating using a little silicone to hold it back in place. Then the stock grille should hold it secure once installed on the bike........DC

·
Dreaming of Twisties
593 Posts
Smokedog said:
Yea , I think it is silicone. Seems like just enough to hold it on. Shouldnt be to hard to get it of and reinstall it after powder coating.
Thanks 'dog!

·
Don't think, ride.
752 Posts
vrscd_buTcHEr said:
so, this grille just fits over the stock radiator cowl? therefore it doesn't help out your performance and is purely cosmetic?
Yes, purely cosmetic and I have found that it is already marked up pretty good with little chips. I don't think there is anyway to keep it looking nice unless you put some 3M tape over it while it is new. My holes did not even come close to lining up so I drilled them out to make it fit. I Dremeled out the top to make room for my voltage reg cover too. It looks nice from a distance but up close not so good. I too wish they would make matching inserts for the radiator scoops.

·
Registered
375 Posts
blah!! :wazzup:

if it doesn't make it go faster or better, what's the point???

(j/k)

it looks cool and all. but i wouldn't go through all the PITA installation to add a few 'that looks cool' comments to my collection. if it actually worked....well, thats a different story...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts