Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the weather just got colder here and suddenly the decel popping in my bike (08 DX) increased too much it became annoying and loud. Could the weather have this much effect on the popping?. I had very little popping before it got colder. The bike has bub-7 2-1, SE air intake and HD SERT. just had an oil + filter change.

Any info would be great
Thanks

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Not an engine tuner by any means but cold air is much more dense. If your tune was off a bit with the warm weather and then it got a lot colder it will be worse I would think...

-Keith

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sounds like a theory , this weather doesn't last long i think i`ll wait it out,

anybody else has any more info?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Yogy,

How are you doing over there in dry country.... I spent a lot of times at Camp Arafjan and Patriot...

Back to subject... Not a tuner too... In theory, cold air is more dense and therefor you bike is getting more air. If fuel scheduling remain the same then having more air should help decrease popping at deceleration. Hopefully someone who is smart with these AFR would chime in...

·
Fade to Black
2,526 Posts
I rode my bike until 1st snow. Temps down into the 30's and as it got colder the decel popping got worse. It happens so nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I'm with killerV on this one. I think the tune in your Tuner needs a little tweaking. I rode my dx today. It was 30 witha windchill of about 20 to 25. My mods are similiar to yours and my bike ran flawless. Shouldn't take much.

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
i think the problem is some people tweak to much. i had a TFI dobecks fuel management unit on my 06 for 3 years and never had a decel pop or any problem any time, i rode in rain, temps as low as 15°F and upwards of 100°f, even drag racing, never a decel pop one time.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for all the inputs guys, i think i will give it some time if it keeps happening i'll get the map tuned a bit

yousef

·
Registered
171 Posts
colder air will lean an engine out and increase popping on the deceleration.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had the samething happen to me with stock pipes. The problem was the flange nuts were loss, where it mounts to the heads. I took it to the dealer and of course they couldn't find anything wrong. Tightened up and no popping at all in 35 degree weather.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
i think the problem is some people tweak to much. i had a TFI dobecks fuel management unit on my 06 for 3 years and never had a decel pop or any problem any time, i rode in rain, temps as low as 15°F and upwards of 100°f, even drag racing, never a decel pop one time.
:them:

Any decel popping in any weather means there is a problem. It is not normal as some will tell you. Have it tuned properly and/or look for intake / exhaust leaks.

colder air will lean an engine out and increase popping on the deceleration.
The computer, again, if tuned properly, will compensate. Just like an automatic choke on the old cars works.

·
Registered
9 Posts
the weather just got colder here and suddenly the decel popping in my bike (08 DX) increased too much it became annoying and loud. Could the weather have this much effect on the popping?. I had very little popping before it got colder. The bike has bub-7 2-1, SE air intake and HD SERT. just had an oil + filter change.

Any info would be great
Thanks
Hey Yogy,
I for one, only checked out your post because I was curious about your Decals popping off......
I thought you had just mis-spelled "decal"
Of course your talking about Deceleration Popping...
Is it possible others are thinking the same?
Perhaps is why you got no replies?
Air/Barometric pressure unless drastic shouldn't alter the fuel richmness...wouldn't think, But I ain't no mechanic and would like to see an answer posted as much as you!
Sorry, couldn't help you out! (not seeing a lot of good things about SERT [very finiky] ? ) The Stealership wants you to come in again.

NOW...:hidesbeh:I see you did get some replies...perhaps a self adjusting AutoTuner?

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
An auto-ruiner? Hope not...

Agree with those above. Decel pop'ing can occur at both an overly RICH or overly LEAN condition.

Cold Air = More O2 = Lean = add decel fuel
Hot Air = Less O2 = Rich = subtract decel fuel

Obviously intake or exhaust leaks can contribute to this. Shooting carb cleaner (standard accelerant) around the bottom of the throttle body, intake boots and junction where the boots meet the head and throttle body will expose intake leaks.

Checking (re-checking) flange tightness and squareness and all connections (rear pipe to collector, mufflers to collector) will eliminate the possibility of exhaust leaks. Look for black soot at pipe junctions and around exhaust flanges. Also, if you've had your exhaust on & off a few times, you may have mung'd up the exhaust gaskets in the exhaust port on the head. I'm about due to replace mine the next time my header pipes come off again (in a few weeks for a warranty replacement of my front pipe/collector assembly due to heat shield mount brackets breaking off).

In SERT (or in my case SEPST) it's suggest to add decel fuel in small steps - if pop stops, that's it - if not subtract decel fuel. Like with carb'd bikes, the OPTIMUM SETTING is mid-way between where pop'ing STARTS both rich and lean. This of course is dependent on AMBIENT TEMPS when you're tuning. If your tune is done at AVERAGE TEMP for your location, and is dead on - it should compensate adequately for variations of ambient temps in either direction.

Best of luck...

Rick

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Matte. hehe thanks for the heads up,
SickRick thanks for the info i'll have a poke around with the issues u mentioned.

Yousef

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
OK, what am I missing from this conversation? What does the IAT sensor do? If the tune is right, doesn't the IAT sensor work with the ECM to accomodate for changes in temperature (air density)?

·
Registered
379 Posts
This sounds pretty normal to me. My bike runs like a champ normally but when we get those really hot and humid days I get a lot of decel popping as well.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
OK, what am I missing from this conversation? What does the IAT sensor do? If the tune is right, doesn't the IAT sensor work with the ECM to accomodate for changes in temperature (air density)?
Yes, but as all do, it has a "range". So if not tuned to the "optimum" or middle ground the range can diminish and quality will suffer.
It's all about tuning properly, this is why some folks report a loss of HP or bad behavior when doing pipes and air flow changes, a bum tuned it, they need tuned by a pro on a dyno -and there should be NO pops ever.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts