Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
09 vrscf
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice/recommendations on cold weather riding gear.
I live in Louisville, Kentucky area so snow is not much of an issue except maybe an half dozen times a year. The weather will hover in the 30-40 degree a large part of the season though. I have a nice leather jacket which I can close the vents on and it does a good job in the 45 degree range but my legs get cold fast. Just thinking I should go to some chaps/pants or possible a whole new foul weather suit. Some input please.

·
RIP Jerry
956 Posts
A lot of options for pants. I have Cabelas white tail series i think and ride in 20's and they keep me warm you just have to watch the exhaust. I also have Gerbings heated jacket liner and the gloves. The jacket liner i bought pretty cheap is why have it but the gloves for me was a must because frozen hands/fingers are just dangerous.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'll second the recommedation on the Gerbing's heated gear. It's the best stuff I've used. Keep's you toasty warm well into the 20's. It's expensive, about $800 for the Jacket, Pant's, Glove's, and shoe insert's. But worth every penny. Chap's work well if you running around town, but at highway speed's eventually your leg's will still get cold. Plus the Gerbing's stuff is light, unlike the leather. The Battery powered stuff from HD, work's, but you'll spend a lot on Batteries.

·
Fade to Black
2,526 Posts
Can't go wrong with Carhartt bibs. I have been wear mine riding around in temps in the 30's

·
Dean
775 Posts

·
'00 107" FXD, '07 AW
1,232 Posts
I've never lived anywhere that long johns, jeans and chaps didn't work .. any colder than that and I'd probably drive my pick up truck .. a windscreen, FF helmet, gauntlets and a downvest, under a warm jacket, have always been enough for my upper body.

·
aka shudude
3,174 Posts

·
'00 107" FXD, '07 AW
1,232 Posts
Sheesh, it must be arctic cold in WI. Andpeople ride motorcycles in the wintertime there? I would've thought snowmobiles.

·
'00 107" FXD, '07 AW
1,232 Posts
Yeah they do. I'll ride if it's above freezing and I wipe down the bike afterwards.
Be careful about polishing those wheels, according to ElRod, " ... polishing the wheels causes the density of the air to become less, just like high humidity and will cause unstable riding conditions with spoke wheels. Less dense air with spoke wheels will allow some air to pass through the spokes.Since this isn't regulated,you will have inconsistent handling conditions.So until legal acoustic impedance is met,the vehicle should be parked."

·
Banned
4,421 Posts
under armor is awesome & if you don't like wearing chaps or refuse to wear them & don't have the heated gear, i would go with a pair of insulated jeans.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
I wear Firstgear Kilimanjaro jacket and overpants.
http://www.firstgear-usa.com/TextileJackets/CSSKilimanjaro.html
:them: Excellent jacket/pants for wet and/or cold weather.
:them: Gotta love having the armor in the pants as well as full length leg zippers and removable liner.
Don't they put salt on the road? Doesn't this do damage to the wheels?
no worse than the salt air & water in coastal CA regions.

·
'00 107" FXD, '07 AW
1,232 Posts
... no worse than the salt air & water in coastal CA regions.
I didn't realize that coastal CA regions are so corrosive to aluminium but, then again, I live over 100 miles, as the crow flies, from the Pacific Ocean. Tracy must be near 50 miles inland, do you experience salt air corrosion there?

·
Registered
568 Posts
FXRG jacket and pants for me. The FXRG jacket is cool in the summer and freaky warm in the winter. It's weird how the active membrane thing works in it. There's a second liner that makes it even warmer. I've ridden down to around 0 in it and I don't get cold.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
The FXRG textile jacket and pants are very warm, but are not as well armored as some other suits out there. Harley doesn't offer any way to repair their FXRG gear, which is a consideration if you use your gear daily and want to keep it fully serviceable for many years of use.
An Aerostich suit is a cut above all the others. The armor and ballistic nylon will protect you from severe crashes. Many years ago when these suits first came out I bailed off a bike at around 105 mph and suffered no road rash whatsoever. I did break ribs when a boulder finally stopped my slide, but the suit was repaired and I still use it today! Taht crash scuffed up some of the ballistic nylon ( but no perforations of the material anywhere) and one tear in a sleeve. Pretty amazing for such high speeds. It is now 23 years old and has been back twice for repairs like new armor, zippers and velcro.
That points out one other great feature of Aerostich. They fix what they make, and the repair prices are extremely reasonable. They do a lot of custom work and each suit is custom made to order unless you are in a big hurry and cannot wait, then they have a number of off the shelf suits you can buy. They actually send you a suit to try on for size if you are uncomfortable taking clothing measurements for them. Their service is amazing. Expensive but well worth it.

http://www.aerostich.com/

Oh by the way, Aerostich sells outstanding heated gear from Kanetsu. It is American made. Gerbings gear is all made in PR China. Buy informed and buy American. Aerostich makes their suits in Duluth and you can talk to the person who will sew your suit when buying.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts