Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

had my Dx for over 2 years so know the bike and how it operates,

it is at the dealer for some warranty work (O2 sensor and other cosmetic items)

i indicated to them that in recent months (UK is now winter so cold) unless i keep the throttle open and start the bike it will not fire , it turns over fine but is slow to catch and is very lumpy.

before i could hit the starter no throttle and it would fire , now i have to open the throttle and keep the starter pressed a lot longer , the motor turns over and attempts to fire several times but is lumpy , then it will catch and start i then have to keep revving the bike for 20-30 seconds to keep it going then it runs A OK

any advise ? as the dealer has had the bike for over a week now and has said they can't find a problem with it starting ?????? is there a cold start sensor , as its just like old carb bikes in the winter as if it needs a bit of choke !

the good news is they have replaced my discs and pads and lower yoke outside of the warranty as a gesture of good will so its hard to kick off about the above problem.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
a weak battery will produce those symptoms in the colder months.

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
i've seen the throttle body on a car get "gummed" up and not allow air to pass by the flap that allows air in. said flap is a few thousands smaller diameter than the throttle body bore. easy fix is possibly some carb spray and small plastic bristle brush to clean around inside the throttle body. just a thought and easy/cheap. i'd also check diagnostic codes before any maintenance is performed.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Yep,check for codes.The iat,(Idle Air Temperature) sensor is located in the left front of the air box.it's easy for this to have an ill connection.A code will be set and stored if this is the case.
If not,clean the top of the engine,paying close attention to the iac,(Idle Air Control) motor.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Ol' Blighty is wet and miserable in the winter. Heck, it's that way in the summer, LOL. Lots of opportunities for corrosion and moisture intrusion into the electrical parts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts