Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
New DXer
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time I ride freezing my nuts offf, I wish I was on a bagger with lowers and a radio. Tonight it was 50 degrees and sadly< maybe because of my vagina, I was freaking cold. I passed some fat bastard on an Ultra wearing jeans and a t-shirt. I'm bundled like the michelin man....wtf?

·
boredom kills
2,324 Posts
Oct 1 of every year I have those thoughts - NY sucks

·
Registered
464 Posts
Go electric. Makes a world of difference but not untill a little colder than 50. At that temp and down to high 30's a nice FXRG jacket would work great also.

·
1130cc is enuff 4 me
2,426 Posts
I wear long underware, jeans, hoodless sweatshirt, leather jacket & gloves, boots & FF helmet. its good until 50* then I'm done riding until spring, f that

·
Registered
271 Posts
If you put a windshield on the bike it will block some of the cold air. The downside is that the V-Rods don't look good with windshields.

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Johnny, if I knew you had a vagina this whole time, we would have become closer! See you at the Rally this weekend? If so, bring your vagina!

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
Buy the right gear, and you are good to 30 degrees. A windshield does wonders. Joe

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
I wore a TShirt tonight too, it was 78 though. No Bagger or Radio etc... Just MOVE!!!!

·
VRSCD
1,012 Posts
I wore a TShirt tonight too, it was 78 though. No Bagger or Radio etc... Just MOVE!!!!
Come on, it gets colder over here in the Sahara then it gets in SoCal. Next thing you know someone in Hawaii is going to tell us how cold it gets...

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
Every time I ride freezing my nuts offf, I wish I was on a bagger with lowers and a radio. Tonight it was 50 degrees and sadly< maybe because of my vagina, I was freaking cold. I passed some fat bastard on an Ultra wearing jeans and a t-shirt. I'm bundled like the michelin man....wtf?
:slap: Your profile says Texas..........................freezing your nuts off??? LOL!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi

You ride very carefully. The Muscle doesn't make a good trail bike. To be honest it was raining when I rode in. The snow arrived overnight but riding out was interesting. The track out was about 1.5 - 2 km long and mainly mud and slush. I'm still finding mud on the bike.

·
New DXer
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
:slap: Your profile says Texas..........................freezing your nuts off??? LOL!
That's where the vagina part comes in. I have ridden for over 10 years now almost every day to work and maybe I'm just getting older. I enjoy riding the bike much more than a car, and my V- which is less than 2 years old has 19,000 miles on her. I am just starting to crave the comforts some of these fat bastards on bad ass baggers have. Honestly, I havent seen the V- as a bagger look good enough to justify the cost of spending 8-10K more on a conversion. Or, then again, it could have been from this...http://www.bikernet.com/pages/story_detail.aspx?id=8693

:D

·
Fade to Black
2,526 Posts
I put around 130 miles on my bike wednesday and it was only 50 degrees out. Windshield dose do wonders for the cold. I put on my Carhartt bibs, FF helmet, leather jacket and gloves and im good. I should be able to ride until the temp gets into the mid 30's. And did I forget to mention the bike runs like a beast in the cold air!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Eh, it all depends on what you're used to. Up here our riding season is so short that if you don't ride in the 30-50 degree range you won't be riding much at all. As others have mentioned the cut-off for heated gear is right around 50. The past couple of days here it's been in the 40's and after about an hour my hands are damn cold. I rode last year with heated gloves only. My last ride of the year was Dec. 28th and my first ride was March 1st. Not bad for Nova Scotia. My basic winter gear is FXRG jacket, long underwear, thick socks, ff helmet and the heated gloves. Although this year I might spring for the heated vest.

·
VRSCD
1,012 Posts
Yeah, I noticed this too. Do you think it's temp related or moisture related? (colder temps usually means much dryer air)
Its temperature related. In cooler air the density of molecules is higher than in hot air. So for the same altitude all normally aspirated engines will perform better on a cool day as opposed to a hot day.

In airplanes where performance is life and death we have charts that show aircraft have better performance in cool air. A normally aspirated airplane engine is not that much different than the Revolution engine. They all operate with the general principle: suck, squeeze, bang, blow. Thus gross elements such as air temperature should effect them similarly.

·
'00 107" FXD, '07 AW
1,232 Posts
A nice down vest under a light jacket makes the early commute downright wondrous, take the vest off late morning and then the jacket goes early afternoon. We all know that changes come December, usually requires a warm jacket all day.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Its temperature related. In cooler air the density of molecules is higher than in hot air. So for the same altitude all normally aspirated engines will perform better on a cool day as opposed to a hot day.

In airplanes where performance is life and death we have charts that show aircraft have better performance in cool air. A normally aspirated airplane engine is not that much different than the Revolution engine. They all operate with the general principle: suck, squeeze, bang, blow. Thus gross elements such as air temperature should effect them similarly.
Thanks for the explanation. Is this why some of us go topless? Obviously more air flow, but I would assume cooler as well.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts