Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
trying to cure an intermittant miss with an vrscx.its thrown 3 codes.po122 which is tp sensor,according to the code bible.can anyone point me to any problems i may find in that area? also po134 andpo154 which are no o2 sensor communication..this bike has no 02 sensors so im not sure why its even throwing those codes..any info would be appreciated.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
assuming it's an '07, you shouldn't be able to throw an O2 sensor code unless someone screwed up the programming of your ECM.
What mods are on the bike?
What are you doing when the bike throws the codes?
Is there a change in performance?

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
Aren't you using one of those after market ecm's? ...
I think so. From previous posts he's using a Thundermax so he should be checking with Zippers or asking in the Thundermax subforum.

Posting about diagnostic trouble codes generated by an aftermarket ECM and not mentioning the aftermarket ECM is a waste of everybody’s time.

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
If he's using a Thundermax he would have had to install O2 sensors, right? He states no sensors. We need mo' info'.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no folks its not my bike its a friends x .its got stage 2 cams with a vnh pipe.its been tuned by the local dealer with the sert program.it has new battery,coils,iac motor[which appeared to fix the problem but alas, its reacuring again]it runs fine for a while then it will start cuttingout on rapid acceleration but on easy throttle it seems ok.i am going to instal a new fuel filter and pick up sock but i dont think thats the problem..when he gets the problem he gets so pissed with it he gives it a good toweling and that sometimes makes a difference.that po122 code was thrown first when he was on tour and he took it to a dealer who cleared the code and the bike seemed ok after that.yesterday it played up again and i checked and found that same code again.im going to check that tp sensor out and berfore i do i was wondering what experiece anyone has had with failures with that sensor.it seems to perform well at high speed but fails when going from cruise to open throttle then settels down again.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
is it an actual VRSCX (2007) or is it a VRSCDX nightrod special?
what year bike?

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
If he's using a Thundermax he would have had to install O2 sensors, right? He states no sensors. We need mo' info'.
No, you can choose to run the Thundermax in closed loop sans auto tune, and it just acts like any other tuner out there.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
no folks its not my bike its a friends x .its got stage 2 cams with a vnh pipe.its been tuned by the local dealer with the sert program.it has new battery,coils,iac motor[which appeared to fix the problem but alas, its reacuring again]it runs fine for a while then it will start cuttingout on rapid acceleration but on easy throttle it seems ok.i am going to instal a new fuel filter and pick up sock but i dont think thats the problem..when he gets the problem he gets so pissed with it he gives it a good toweling and that sometimes makes a difference.that po122 code was thrown first when he was on tour and he took it to a dealer who cleared the code and the bike seemed ok after that.yesterday it played up again and i checked and found that same code again.im going to check that tp sensor out and berfore i do i was wondering what experiece anyone has had with failures with that sensor.it seems to perform well at high speed but fails when going from cruise to open throttle then settels down again.
Make good and sure the correct ecm is installed.You should be able to retrieve the part # w the scanner at the dealer.

There is supposed to be a 5V reference signal from the ecm to the tps.I don't know wire colors,but you will not harm anything back back probing w the dvm.You could hook a small volt meter in and mount it where it's real easy to look at when the problem occurs.
Or,if the dealer has the software to interface and turn on data logging,you could let the owner ride the bike until the problem occurs,bring it in,suck the info out and look at the graphs on a screen.
Use an analog ohms meter to check the tps.Any tps,(potentiometer), should be checked w an analog meter.Digital meters are way to slow to detect a small glitch.
Disconnect the electric connector from the tps.find the 2 connectors that send the variable signal out.Move the tps very slow,up and down, and watch the needle on the meter.It should move smooth,no jerky glitches at all.
The tps will usually show a glitch between the 12 to 20% opening areas simply because this is where most typical commuter vehicles throttles are used.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well ill post the results of this problem to those who may care.the tps was the problem[the old one tested up ok yet ?]a new tps and shes away again good as gold.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts