Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Ted
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
P1357 Current Front cylinder combustion intermittent 4.19 COMBUSTION ABSENT/INTERMITTENT

P1357 Historic Front cylinder combustion intermittent 4.19 COMBUSTION ABSENT/INTERMITTENT

Has anyone generated this code yet? If you did, what was it? I did, cleared it and has not returned (yet).

·
Autobanmod
9,896 Posts
anything that could prevent the combustion:
for example faulty spark plug, coil, injector

Have you ever had stalling problems?
Do you use a power commander or maybe an air shifter with ignition surpression?
If everything is fine now and the fault does not return then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

·
Ted
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jan-Dirk said:
anything that could prevent the combustion:
for example faulty spark plug, coil, injector

Have you ever had stalling problems?
Do you use a power commander or maybe an air shifter with ignition surpression?
If everything is fine now and the fault does not return then I wouldn't worry too much about it.
When this happened, I was running completely stock. I changed the spark plugs about 400 miles ago. Checked gap but didn't torque them to spec.....maybe it worked itself loose or it is just faulty.

No running problems at all. A very hot day when this happened.

I'll inspect the front plug again just to be sure.

Thanks
Ted

·
Registered
15 Posts
I experience the same except for the rear cylinder P1356. It happen when accelerating hard, at any RPM. Just started after going to NGK DCPR8Es from the HD stock plug with 16,000 miles. Only rear affected!! Changing to new HD plugs today to see if solved.

·
TRANNY KILLER :)
14,572 Posts
Threw the P1356 code last night... I will be looking for the reason tomorrow...

·
Retired Devil Dog
148 Posts
'07 EDM says it is either the cylinder misfiring or lack of continuity in the ignition coil secondary circuit. If you have an '07 and do not use HD plugs the ion sensing for anti-knock may not work properly.....DC

·
14,572 Posts
If a coil goes bad.... is there any difference between the front and rear coil? how much do they run? do dealers stock them?

·
14,572 Posts
Johnny HotFoot said:
If a coil goes bad.... is there any difference between the front and rear coil? how much do they run? do dealers stock them?

I just popped my rear coil off to sneak a peek at my rear plug.... and after a very short, 10 minute ride, that rear coil was HOT!!!... are they normally hot as hell just after a ride? I guess I'd be pretty hot too, doing what they do???

anywho, my rear plug looked perfect for having 7700 miles, they were neither oily/fouled or burned up lean..... so I put it back, try to stretch out the coil sping a bit, replaced the coil and everything seems fine.... it seemed fine on my 10 minute ride also.... so could my coil be going if it itermittedly stops working again?..... what type of ride will test her the hardest?.... are coils cheap.... and I should just get a new one and ride with less stress???

·
Registered
15 Posts
This has happened to me a couple of times when I accelerate hard. At the time I was going between 180-190 kpm. Cleared it and it doesn't happen until the next time I act stupid. I have a 2003 with screeming eagle pipes and HD ECM download.

·
Stooz
61 Posts
I am getting the 1357 code too and I am having problems with stalling. I took the IAC apart yesterday and cleaned it. Prior to that I was getting the 0505 code as well but after the test ride all I got was 1357 and still couldnt achieve an idle on warm engine until I got home and turned the bike off for five minutes then restarted it and it idled fine. A real pain in the ass when riding in traffic for sure.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Stooz said:
I am getting the 1357 code too and I am having problems with stalling. I took the IAC apart yesterday and cleaned it. Prior to that I was getting the 0505 code as well but after the test ride all I got was 1357 and still couldnt achieve an idle on warm engine until I got home and turned the bike off for five minutes then restarted it and it idled fine. A real pain in the ass when riding in traffic for sure.

Do you give the bike some throttle when you start the bike? Does it misfire that you can detect?

·
Stooz
61 Posts
No throttle on start Max.........very conscious of that after reading some of the posts. Yesterday it seemed to be stumbling at around 8000 although it was rainy and I wasnt squeezing it too hard as I didnt want to end up on my ass. I havent hadda chance to pull the front plug yet and also wanted to draw on a few of the expert opinions here as well. The tune up is kind of fat right now as turbo was installed 2000 miles ago on a brand new bike. (03 that had never been ridden) Could that be the issue?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Stooz said:
No throttle on start Max.........very conscious of that after reading some of the posts. Yesterday it seemed to be stumbling at around 8000 although it was rainy and I wasnt squeezing it too hard as I didnt want to end up on my ass. I havent hadda chance to pull the front plug yet and also wanted to draw on a few of the expert opinions here as well. The tune up is kind of fat right now as turbo was installed 2000 miles ago on a brand new bike. (03 that had never been ridden) Could that be the issue?
Excellent feedback to the question. Would you be able to clear the codes and swap the front and rear coils? The reason I ask is my guess is you either have a failing front injector or coil. If the failure takes place often enough you can swap parts from cylinder to cylinder to verify the failure before you start spending money.

·
Stooz
61 Posts
Roger that Max.......thanks for the input. I will try that out and see what happens. Now I dont wanna work anymore but would rather go and do that. We'll see what wins here....... need to get work done or desire to get bike running well.

·
Ted
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I pulled both my plugs, regapped them and installed them a little tighter. Hasn't happened again in 3700 miles. As mentioned in a earlier post....possibly a bad spark plug???????

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
ihringert said:
I pulled both my plugs, regapped them and installed them a little tighter. Hasn't happened again in 3700 miles. As mentioned in a earlier post....possibly a bad spark plug???????
Could be a bad plug always. It could be that with the ion sensor that gap is very critical. It could also be that you changed the connection of the coil when you did that. Thanks for the feedback, good information.

·
14,572 Posts
Having inspected my rear plug, found it to be perfect, then stretched the coil spring a bit and re-assembled, I have no more problems with the rear not firing, but I still stall every now and then (once in 100 miles)when I come to a stop???

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Johnny HotFoot said:
Having inspected my rear plug, found it to be perfect, then stretched the coil spring a bit and re-assembled, I have no more problems with the rear not firing, but I still stall every now and then (once in 100 miles)when I come to a stop???
Johnny have you cleaned your throttle body in a while. Open the throttle plates and check to see if it is building up the layer of carbon just below the plates. If it is you can clean it with any type of combustion cleaner and a rag.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts